Newbie. Multiplayer question. Are there several channels for communications?

Red_Donkey
Go to solution Solved by Mirzayev,

I´m new, and haven't tried multiplayer yet. I´m looking at some of the youtube recordings of your sessions trying to understand what's going on, before I´m joining in someday. I have a question about comms:

How do you differentiate between comms between tanks in a platoon, and comms further up the chain to higher command? Are there several channels in Teamspeak, with different Push-to-talk buttons, depending on who you're talking to?

• Solution
2 minutes ago, Red_Donkey said:

I´m new, and haven't tried multiplayer yet. I´m looking at some of the youtube recordings of your sessions trying to understand what's going on, before I´m joining in someday. I have a question about comms:

How do you differentiate between comms between tanks in a platoon, and comms further up the chain to higher command? Are there several channels in Teamspeak, with different Push-to-talk buttons, depending on who you're talking to?

I'm going to assume that you are talking about Kanium, so I'll answer in regard to what we do there. This won't necessarily apply to other virtual units. 

image.png.5ddb0c2bf30627b115cd135f296ed9de.png

We use a TeamSpeak construct where each Platoon has a specific channel, with each vehicle having an optional sub-channel. The sub-channel is useful if you are multi-crewing a vehicle so you aren't yelling fire commands at your entire Platoon. We then build whisper-lists (the listed "Frequencies") that you can bind to push-to-talk buttons of your choosing to speak to everyone with that "Frequency" role. As an example as seen above, Frq:26000 is the Company Command Net. Your Company Commander, XO, Platoon Leaders, etc will normally talk and listen on this. They will also talk to their respective Platoons/Units within the Platoon channels. 

I know that some guys run plug-ins on TS where the Command Net sounds like a radio while their Platoon net sounds normal, etc. That is all personal preference. I just differentiate by who is talking. 

7 minutes ago, Red_Donkey said:

Ok thanks. So you can go into Options or something in Teamspeak, and define buttons for different frequencies. And you don't need plugins for that to work?

Tools -> Whisper Lists. No plugins are required. 

4 minutes ago, Red_Donkey said:

Another question: Can you listen to several channels at once? Say, if you're the gunner in Alpa 1-2, can you choose to hear the HQ section as well as your Platoon leader?

You can listen to, and talk on, as many channels as you want. The big caveat here is that it'll get really confusing when you are trying to listen to more than two channels at once without some practice doing it. With lots of practice, going over four is within the realm of diminishing returns.

As a gunner, I'd stick to maybe two channels: your vehicle, and your Platoon Net. 

30 minutes ago, Red_Donkey said:

What's the most typical distribution on "serious" MP sessions with a typical VU? A platoon for each player? Or 2 tanks per player? Something like that?

For BG ANZAC it depends on the person's confidence / experience (they choose):

1. New person: One Tank or IFV + Dismounts within a Troop / Platoon commanded by someone else.

2. More experienced person: One Troop (Platoon).

3. More experienced: CO of the session or running a supporting (neighbouring) unit and One Combat Team.

As for Comms - usually a Squadron net (since in RL we don't use different nets for different Troops). It does require a certain brevity / discipline but it works (and certainly cuts down on waffle).

Unsure where you live / convenient timings but session details:

Edited by Gibsonm

I´m a bit used to helo comms in DCS, where we where many flights + AWACS communicating on same channel, and even relaying messages for flights, that where masked by terrain and such. It got very hectic calling in 9-lines and such. We had pretty strict comms discipline, always beginning messages with reciever and sender. Learning to always talk in short concise sentences. It was very exciting to learn and to play, although I was not as hardcore as some other players.

Looking forward to learn more about SB soon. Looks like Kanium is on GMT friendly time, so I might look into joining sessions there.

Edited by Red_Donkey

We use TS3 to simulate radios by using groups that's also why we always ask people that are new to show up a little early so we can get them setup with comms 
another advantage of our system is that once you have put in the frequencies you need then you can communicate with everybody and if you next time need other freqs then you just change them in your own setup so no dragging people into a whisper list etc...

and as it have always been everybody is welcome. 

MD