Sims like other stuff...

Red2112

My first entry Into DCS was with the Ka50 v1 back In the days, a real pain to learn how to fly at first. Glad to see It get a facelift and additional hardware...

Not sure If they ever got this platform straight In DCS, because the handycap with the Ka50 was that It´s made to operate alongside the Ka52 which Is the designating platform and Forward Observer for this ship. The Ka50 on It´s own Is missing a link, which Is the Ka52 In DCS.

Edited by Red2112

If you have any interest in Gunships then DCS is your huckleberry. You can fly as pilot or gunner with a competent AI crewman (so you learn one position at a time) or multicrew with another human. Here we are practicing various things with two fully crewed AH-64s on the range.

1 hour ago, Los said:

If you have any interest in Gunships then DCS is your huckleberry. You can fly as pilot or gunner with a competent AI crewman (so you learn one position at a time) or multicrew with another human. Here we are practicing various things with two fully crewed AH-64s on the range.

Not Interested. I know very well what DCS Is, I have flown the first version (also v2) of the Kamov way back when It came out, and I was also part of a acro formation team (PAV) with the C-101 Aviojet for half a year, training 6hrs a week.  Aside from being In a VU for some time In the past.  I go back as far as Lock On and Flanker 2.5, I also flew Falcon 4 before the BMS mod, and was LCDR (comms officer) In the Seawolves VU for there winged division using Falcon 4. This was only +20 years ago. But thanks for the tip anyway.

Not sure you´re getting the point of the existence Helicopter DEX.

Gunship 2000 was my first so called sim, If you could call It that, and later Janes Longbow 2. Just a hint at what Helicopter DEX aims to be with todays tech. It´s also worth mentioning that It came out In EA In Dec. of 2022, so It´s basically In It´s Infancy. It´s also a one man team. I also doubt this Is going to be a eyecandy delight for some, pretty sure the dev Is not aiming for that either.

Edited by Red2112

3 hours ago, Red2112 said:

What do you mean, care to elaborate?

Have you played it?

I instantly refunded. Awful!

The control scheme is an incoherent mess and the flight modeling is closer to flying a UFO than an aircraft.

None of the actions are labeled properly in the key mapper and it has some actions listed three and four times but none of them actually changed the action in game.

Not only does the game NOT support joysticks, but having a joystick or gamepad plugged in significantly affects the game. For me and many others who have joysticks, the helicopter would instantly flip over on startup.

The developer couldn't seem to figure out how to integrate sticks and pads but also how allow the user to disable them in game. His solution was "unplug your joystick or gamepad before playing". Yeahhhh, that's a big no.

The flight model was more representative of Battlefield than anything that was realistic, or even something that was sim light. Aircraft is held at zero collective and applying collective only goes to 100%. There is no collective throttle, so you have constantly tap the collective button to keep the aircraft at a steady altitude or strictly fly frmo altitude hold - which also didn't work at release (I think he's since fixed it- who knows)

It was a LOT of effort to learn to fly something that has absolutely no representation of real life flight characteristics.

The weapons and sensors were very difficult to use due to the incoherent key mapping.

So with all that, why would I put this much effort into learning how to fly and use systems for a game that is so wildly inaccurate?

I was looking for something that would be easier and more fun than DCS. This is not the case for DEX. I find that the DCS Apache is actually much easier and enjoyable to fly.

Edited by Apocalypse 31

35 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Have you played it?

I instantly refunded. Awful!

The control scheme is an incoherent mess and the flight modeling is closer to flying a UFO than an aircraft.

None of the actions are labeled properly in the key mapper and it has some actions listed three and four times but none of them actually changed the action in game.

Not only does the game NOT support joysticks, but having a joystick or gamepad plugged in significantly affects the game. For me and many others who have joysticks, the helicopter would instantly flip over on startup.

The developer couldn't seem to figure out how to integrate sticks and pads but also how allow the user to disable them in game. His solution was "unplug your joystick or gamepad before playing". Yeahhhh, that's a big no.

The flight model was more representative of Battlefield than anything that was realistic, or even something that was sim light. Aircraft is held at zero collective and applying collective only goes to 100%. There is no collective throttle, so you have constantly tap the collective button to keep the aircraft at a steady altitude or strictly fly frmo altitude hold - which also didn't work at release (I think he's since fixed it- who knows)

It was a LOT of effort to learn to fly something that has absolutely no representation of real life flight characteristics.

The weapons and sensors were very difficult to use due to the incoherent key mapping.

So with all that, why would I put this much effort into learning how to fly and use systems for a game that is so wildly inaccurate?

I was looking for something that would be easier and more fun than DCS. This is not the case for DEX. I find that the DCS Apache is actually much easier and enjoyable to fly.

Yes I have played It.

I don´t have the Issues you mentioned at all. But yes, If you don´t know how Steam configures gamepad settings then out of the box It´s a mess.  With regards to the rest, I don´t agree with anything you stated...

Stick with you´re DCS.

As always, a handful here seem pros at any subject that one can bring to the table. Not only that, It´s like walking Into one of those road bars were you´re a foreigner until otherwise accepted.  It really becomes tiresome and so predictable, and even childish or egocentric at times. Needless to say It´s so military like, as In a room full of brass!  I left that behind MANY years ago.

So why should I put the effort of even posting ANYTHING here?  It´s going to be hated, or stepped on anyway, and I am to grown up for that. But at times I am a bit naive, thinking that my contributions might add some freshness to the scene of off topics, and/or tag new lurkers to the forum which never knew of existence of Steel Beast. But, again probably a handful here don´t even want that, and would rather keep tabs on there small, so called elite men´s club.

Sick of all that, so off I go...

Just sorry for those who did appreciate "some" of my post.

11 minutes ago, Red2112 said:

I'm sorry, are you the developer of DEX? I didn't know my negative feedback would be taken so personally. 

No one ever said that your efforts aren't appreciated to contribute towards gaming conversation. I follow your posts closely because I think its valuable news and good conversation. 

I'd ask you to please not confuse my harsh criticism of games with your own actions. 

As always, a handful here seem pros at any subject that one can bring to the table. Not only that, It´s like walking Into one of those road bars were you´re a foreigner until otherwise accepted.  It really becomes tiresome and so predictable, and even childish or egocentric at times. Needless to say It´s so military like, as In a room full of brass!  I left that behind MANY years ago.

No one has attacked you so I'm not sure why you feel the need to make personal attacks on others for stating their own opinion of games.

Edited by Apocalypse 31

54 minutes ago, Red2112 said:

Yes I have played It.

I don´t have the Issues you mentioned at all. But yes, If you don´t know how Steam configures gamepad settings then out of the box It´s a mess.  With regards to the rest, I don´t agree with anything you stated...

Stick with you´re DCS.

As always, a handful here seem pros at any subject that one can bring to the table. Not only that, It´s like walking Into one of those road bars were you´re a foreigner until otherwise accepted.  It really becomes tiresome and so predictable, and even childish or egocentric at times. Needless to say It´s so military like, as In a room full of brass!  I left that behind MANY years ago.

So why should I put the effort of even posting ANYTHING here?  It´s going to be hated, or stepped on anyway, and I am to grown up for that. But at times I am a bit naive, thinking that my contributions might add some freshness to the scene of off topics, and/or tag new lurkers to the forum which never knew of existence of Steel Beast. But, again probably a handful here don´t even want that, and would rather keep tabs on there small, so called elite men´s club.

Sick of all that, so off I go...

That is a great shame, I really like your posts.

I too am a big fan of Red 2112's excellent posts here in the gaming section. Many times I have stumbled across cool new games because of you. It seems we like the exact same things. Hang in there.

<Now entering tongue and cheek mode>

Sorry you don't like DCS, there was no previous indication of DCSDS (DCS Derangement Syndrome), however props for mentioning the excellent BMS (Gonna try out their VR implementation.)

I am however well aware of my buddy Apoc's acerbic nature as, on the side, I am usual the brunt of it on a daily basis. But because he's a good dude (tm) I hold my captain america shield in front of me to deflect the negative waves as I press forward on why this or that game is good for something we want to do.

Moving forward, since we have more cool games to learn about I am reminded of this scene...

Edited by Los