Sims like other stuff...

Red2112

On 2/23/2023 at 1:17 PM, Count Sessine said:

I have played this on and off for a long time. Pretty good, a very different RPG. But I feel like it is stuck in an 'eternal tech demo' state. The devs work very slowly.

True, and It Is known. Still, at the asking price It Is unique and challenging. I think It´s a one man team, but yeah very slow, not sure how his other side project (tied to this one) will ever see the light.

I am not very good at It, I don´t practice my combat (swings) enough because I only play it once In awhile. That said, there´s no hand holding here, not even a map so It´s easy to get lost. What I do Is leave useless objects I find In front of the doors/chambers that I have already explored. That´s one trick I saw a guy do In some of his videos.

Edited by Red2112

6 hours ago, Red2112 said:

My fav twin In MSFS 2020...

Cessna 414, cool. I'll take a look at it. I'm flying the Kodiak 100 at the moment. Pretty good study aircraft and I always had a penchant for bush flying. Am I the only one who has never really attempted to learn an airliner? I've always stuck to GA in all the flightsims.

4 hours ago, Count Sessine said:

Cessna 414, cool. I'll take a look at it. I'm flying the Kodiak 100 at the moment. Pretty good study aircraft and I always had a penchant for bush flying. Am I the only one who has never really attempted to learn an airliner? I've always stuck to GA in all the flightsims.

The Flysimware Cessna 414 Chancellor:

https://www.flysimware.com/FLYSIMSTORE/msfs-2020-new/46-flysimware-cessna-414aw-chancellor-msfs2020.html

Dev has been updating It regularly.

I always have a twin In my hanger. It used to be The Baron (MilViz) In P3D, but this time I went for this great rendition of the Flysimware´s Cessna 414 because I like It better then the MilVIz 310 among other things. I also have the Kodiak 100, Van´s RV-10, and Zenith CH701 STOL, but I can´t say I am to happy about the Van´s and Zenith from Sim Works Studios (SWS). I mostly do bush trips with //42 The Skypark, and I use the default Cessna 208 Caravan for my Air Hauler 2 needs for now, but I also like airliners.

PMDG new update workaround...

On 1/27/2023 at 11:08 AM, Red2112 said:

Run8, Is focused more on the US side and In transport/cargo routes. You also dispatch. It recently released It´s version 3.  As with the above, a true sim but with US locos and dealing with transport of goods.

Just wanted to say thanks for your train sim recommendations. I picked up Run8 v3 after your post and am having a great time with it—and I'm not even much of a train guy, aside from enjoying John McPhee's book, "Uncommon Carriers" (which might as well be the user manual for Run8, as documentation is a little bit on the sparse side).

49 minutes ago, Mezentius said:

Just wanted to say thanks for your train sim recommendations. I picked up Run8 v3 after your post and am having a great time with it—and I'm not even much of a train guy, aside from enjoying John McPhee's book, "Uncommon Carriers" (which might as well be the user manual for Run8, as documentation is a little bit on the sparse side).

You´re welcome, and glad you like It. 👍

I´ll have to have a look at that book, thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers

Edited by Red2112

Reentry and Flight of Nova are great!

I have a lot of fun with Rocket Science and Solargene.

I have Train Sim Classic with lots of DLC, and I like that. I'll have to check out the recommended train sims.

But you missed one. Zompiercer. Available on Steam. A train must have, LOL! 😂

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ostranauts by Blue Bottle games, same dev that did NEO Scavenger. It´s a totally different game then NEO but set In the same world. This Is more of a space sim survival/RPG game. If you can get over the graphics (tiles) It does have quite a lot of depth to It, and yeah It´s a nerdy game, I know and I like that haha!

Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1022980/Ostranauts/

Recently updated to v0.11.03 (Pistols and Punches).

Edited by Red2112

4 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Nice, which ones do you favor?

Professionally I use Assetto Corsa. It's also my casual go-to but once in a while I might fire up Richard Burns Rally just for old times sake. I've tried most of them, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a pretty substantial simracing setup and I'll be putting it together next week. Nowadays you can get a pretty good setup for just a few thousand dollars, something that you can do professional work with.

On 5/5/2023 at 12:15 PM, Arch said:

Ordered a pretty substantial simracing setup and I'll be putting it together next week. Nowadays you can get a pretty good setup for just a few thousand dollars, something that you can do professional work with.

Cool, hope you can share It with us.

15 minutes ago, Red2112 said:

Cool, hope you can share It with us.

Simrigs 80/40 profile Exodus base model and Exodus Touring L with the seat mounts and slider for the rig and seat. Jerryrigged monitor arm + 24inch monitor setup for the visuals for the time being. Maybe some kind of 30-some inch Ultrawide later.

Simagic Alpha Mini with the Alpha mounting brackets and the Simagic GTS wheel for the steering, and I'll be acquiring a real secondhand Momo Mod.78 wheel for drifting. I was debating if I need a front-mount but I think the side-mount brackets will handle the 10-13Nm the Mini can do.

I'd love to go Simucube and support the homeland, but Simagic is just a smarter and more economical choice given my parameters. Until simulators start having more realistic FFB and powersteering (if any, in most sims...) simulation, you don't need much more than about 10Nm to do the majority of roadgoing cars. You can get much bigger peaks through powersteering with some rapid maneuvers but sims aren't quite there yet in FFB simulation. Even then, a Simucube 2 Ultimate is barely enough to simulate that scenario.

VNM Exodus-edition loadcell pedals because I really don't care for the damper kit or minor increased adjustability of the V1s in exchange for about a hundred USD that could go elsewhere.

Later I might go for a hydraulic set, perhaps BJ. I just wanted to see how the cheaper high-end loadcell pedals are nowadays, and they're more economical anyway. Initial choice was HE Sprints but VNM is a deal I found hard to refuse considering shipping costs to Australia. The pedals are the main reason for the aluminum extract rig; tube rigs cannot handle the forces involved.

VNM shifter, still undecided on handbrake. I'm not exactly hurting for money but I might not need anything too fancy, perhaps Moza will do.

The aim for the rig is to not have to keep spending money twice or thrice over and get something decent for a start, but to also avoid the "hundred dollars more" issue that leads rigs to inflate dramatically. This one is only about 2500 USD after all the discounts and all that. Rigs can easily go up to 15,000 USD even without any kind of motion platform, and that is considered economical.

15 hours ago, Arch said:

Simrigs 80/40 profile Exodus base model and Exodus Touring L with the seat mounts and slider for the rig and seat. Jerryrigged monitor arm + 24inch monitor setup for the visuals for the time being. Maybe some kind of 30-some inch Ultrawide later.

Simagic Alpha Mini with the Alpha mounting brackets and the Simagic GTS wheel for the steering, and I'll be acquiring a real secondhand Momo Mod.78 wheel for drifting. I was debating if I need a front-mount but I think the side-mount brackets will handle the 10-13Nm the Mini can do.

I'd love to go Simucube and support the homeland, but Simagic is just a smarter and more economical choice given my parameters. Until simulators start having more realistic FFB and powersteering (if any, in most sims...) simulation, you don't need much more than about 10Nm to do the majority of roadgoing cars. You can get much bigger peaks through powersteering with some rapid maneuvers but sims aren't quite there yet in FFB simulation. Even then, a Simucube 2 Ultimate is barely enough to simulate that scenario.

-edition loadcell pedals because I really don't care for the damper kit or minor increased adjustability of the V1s in exchange for about a hundred USD that could go elsewhere.

Later I might go for a hydraulic set, perhaps BJ. I just wanted to see how the cheaper high-end loadcell pedals are nowadays, and they're more economical anyway. Initial choice was HE Sprints but VNM is a deal I found hard to refuse considering shipping costs to Australia. The pedals are the main reason for the aluminum extract rig; tube rigs cannot handle the forces involved.

VNM shifter, still undecided on handbrake. I'm not exactly hurting for money but I might not need anything too fancy, perhaps Moza will do.

The aim for the rig is to not have to keep spending money twice or thrice over and get something decent for a start, but to also avoid the "hundred dollars more" issue that leads rigs to inflate dramatically. This one is only about 2500 USD after all the discounts and all that. Rigs can easily go up to 15,000 USD even without any kind of motion platform, and that is considered economical.

Thanks @Arch for sharing you´re future set-up (rig).

The SimRig looks like a good deal along with the pedals, and If there local even more so.  As for Simagic, I also aim for the Alpha Mini with the GT Cup wheel sometime this year, If nothing derails my plans haha! I recently bought a set of LC pedals (DCSimracing DC-1), as this was my weakest link In my beginner set-up. They too are local for me and the price wasn´t gonna break my economy at the time.

As for the rig, I might go with the DIY route although I do have some ready mounted options like the NWS Simulator parts (nwssim.com) C2, or the Track Racer TR120.

The DIY route Is actually half the price of any rig that I have looked at, you can literally have a 80/40 rig for about €350 and grow on that In the future as you like.

Shop ships world wide but shipping cost Is expensive so you do have to get everything right from the get go...

Motedis (profile shop):

https://www.motedis.co.uk/en?language=en

CAD program (rig design):

https://maytec.com.de/index.php?id=21?

An example of how It´s done In case anyone feels/needs to go the DIY route and wonders what´s to consider...

For the monitor, I am sure I will stick to a one monitor set-up only, but even with that If I go the "bigger" monitor route, I would then need to consider a better graphics card which of course will Increase the price of the overall rig. For now I will stick with my 29" monitor.

I basically run In rFactor 2, and RaceRoom, with some AC and AMS 2 In between. Just got Into sim racing last year so working on It and loving the ride!  It´s something you can spend hours on and personally I find It a lot of fun, be It offline or online. Offline at times can be a bit of a hit and miss due to the AI, but you learn to live with It, and with some tweaking It can be better.

When you say professionally my guess Is that It´s online and that you might be In a team. If you do have some online footage of any event you took part In and/or about to take part In feel free to share It with us. I am sure some of us will become a fan of yours! 

Glad to see someone Is Into sim racing and can share his experience, thanks for sharing Arch!

10 minutes ago, Red2112 said:

Thanks @Arch for sharing you´re future set-up (rig).

The SimRig looks like a good deal along with the pedals, and If there local even more so.  As for Simagic, I also aim for the Alpha Mini with the GT Cup wheel sometime this year, If nothing derails my plans haha! I recently bought a set of LC pedals (DCSimracing DC-1), as this was my weakest link In my beginner set-up. They too are local for me and the price wasn´t gonna break my economy at the time.

As for the rig, I might go with the DIY route although I do have some ready mounted options like the NWS Simulator parts (nwssim.com) C2, or the Track Racer TR120.

The DIY route Is actually half the price of any rig that I have looked at, you can literally have a 80/40 rig for about €350 and grow on that In the future as you like.

Shop ships world wide but shipping cost Is expensive so you do have to get everything right from the get go...

Motedis (profile shop):

https://www.motedis.co.uk/en?language=en

CAD program (rig design):

https://maytec.com.de/index.php?id=21?

An example of how It´s done In case anyone feels/needs to go the DIY route and wonders what´s to consider...

For the monitor, I am sure I will stick to a one monitor set-up only, but even with that If I go the "bigger" monitor route, I would then need to consider a better graphics card which of course will Increase the price of the overall rig. For now I will stick with my 29" monitor.

I basically run In rFactor 2, and RaceRoom, with some AC and AMS 2 In between. Just got Into sim racing last year so working on It and loving the ride!  It´s something you can spend hours on and personally I find It a lot of fun, be It offline or online. Offline at times can be a bit of a hit and miss due to the AI, but you learn to live with It, and with some tweaking It can be better.

When you say professionally my guess Is that It´s online and that you might be In a team. If you do have some online footage of any event you took part In and/or about to take part In feel free to share It with us. I am sure some of us will become a fan of yours! 

Glad to see someone Is Into sim racing and can share his experience, thanks for sharing Arch!

Simrigs AU is fairly local to me, yes. I got a nice discount and severely discounted shipping, and a free part. I estimate the rig would actually cost perhaps 3000 USD.

Beware when going the DIY route for rigs; the aluminum is usually fine but cheap fittings can/will explode in a few months.  The bolts tear through the corner brackets eventually with no warning. I am expecting the Exodus ones to explode eventually, but who knows. If they don't, amazing. The rig is about 440 USD anyway, it should be somewhat of an acceptable quality, but always be prepared for it. Also be prepared to buy an extra nut or two due to bad machining tolerances etc, I think the Exodus does come with plenty of spares.

When I say professionally I mean simulation engineering. I make the individual models for cars and I'm always self-studying to be able to make the general tire, kinematic, drivetrain etc. implementation some day for a custom product.

Well, this is a bit tongue in cheek because it's not my day job nor much of a real job either, more like a small bonus infrequently, but I consider myself an expert and I'm going to grow the business more as time goes on, hopefully start getting some really serious client work. Not much of a driver apart from driving for fun or testing. I've been doing the sim dev thing for almost a decade or so.