Sims like other stuff...

Red2112

2 hours ago, Arch said:

Simrigs AU is fairly local to me, yes. I got a nice discount and severely discounted shipping, and a free part. I estimate the rig would actually cost perhaps 3000 USD.

Beware when going the DIY route for rigs; the aluminum is usually fine but cheap fittings can/will explode in a few months.  The bolts tear through the corner brackets eventually with no warning. I am expecting the Exodus ones to explode eventually, but who knows. If they don't, amazing. The rig is about 440 USD anyway, it should be somewhat of an acceptable quality, but always be prepared for it. Also be prepared to buy an extra nut or two due to bad machining tolerances etc, I think the Exodus does come with plenty of spares.

When I say professionally I mean simulation engineering. I make the individual models for cars and I'm always self-studying to be able to make the general tire, kinematic, drivetrain etc. implementation some day for a custom product.

Well, this is a bit tongue in cheek because it's not my day job nor much of a real job either, more like a small bonus infrequently, but I consider myself an expert and I'm going to grow the business more as time goes on, hopefully start getting some really serious client work. Not much of a driver apart from driving for fun or testing. I've been doing the sim dev thing for almost a decade or so.

Thanks Arch for the help, wasn´t aware of the fittings Issues one could have with the alu profiles. Can´t say I am happy to know that now but hey It Is what It Is.  440 USD seems quite reasonable and not as expensive as I though, so yes It looks like a good deal.

Ok so you kind of make mods, or 3rd party content for AC? I have bought some from URD (United Racing Design) for rF2 for example and really like them (Scuderia Glickenhaus SCG 007 and Moyoda Hypercar).

6 hours ago, Red2112 said:

Thanks Arch for the help, wasn´t aware of the fittings Issues one could have with the alu profiles. Can´t say I am happy to know that now but hey It Is what It Is.  440 USD seems quite reasonable and not as expensive as I though, so yes It looks like a good deal.

Ok so you kind of make mods, or 3rd party content for AC? I have bought some from URD (United Racing Design) for rF2 for example and really like them (Scuderia Glickenhaus SCG 007 and Moyoda Hypercar).

I've heard horror stories of 250usd rigs but 400+ is hopefully okay.

Mods effectively. I'd just argue the quality is not comparable, public cars for AC are not intended to be used for actual setup engineering or driver training but my better ones are. Keyword is intended, though.

@Arch

Thanks for the Info. Feel free to share you´re mods, personally I would like to try some out. If you do go pro product, then please share you´re store link, I wish you the best In that regard.

Back to flight...

Did pick this up for cheap (€12), and as anyone´s first semi-pro twin prop comercial airliner I think this Is a good choice, price Is a steal too.

4 minutes ago, Red2112 said:

@Arch

Thanks for the Info. Feel free to share you´re mods, personally I would like to try some out. If you do go pro product, then please share you´re store link, I wish you the best In that regard.

Back to flight...

Did pick this up for cheap (€12), and as anyone´s first semi-pro twin prop comercial airliner I think this Is a good choice, price Is a steal too.

https://github.com/archibaldmilton/Girellu

There's some in the link, and some on RD, some around the internet and on Discords and whatnot. Some resources in the link too.

No store link as I only do private commission. Unlikely to release a commercial product any time soon, maybe in the future. Those things don't just come out of nowhere.

Rig's built, still need to get an ebrake and figure out how to hell to mount it. Then the endless setting tweaking.

Talking about flight, that'll be the next money sink to get back into. Luckily my standards are a bit lower so I can make do with a lot less. Been really itching to try BMS again, and DCS is finally starting to move in a more sensible direction in terms of dev priorities.

3 hours ago, Arch said:

https://github.com/archibaldmilton/Girellu

There's some in the link, and some on RD, some around the internet and on Discords and whatnot. Some resources in the link too.

No store link as I only do private commission. Unlikely to release a commercial product any time soon, maybe in the future. Those things don't just come out of nowhere.

Rig's built, still need to get an ebrake and figure out how to hell to mount it. Then the endless setting tweaking.

Talking about flight, that'll be the next money sink to get back into. Luckily my standards are a bit lower so I can make do with a lot less. Been really itching to try BMS again, and DCS is finally starting to move in a more sensible direction in terms of dev priorities.

Thanks Arch,

Glad to see you´re also Into flight. It seems MicroProse Is also going to bring back the original Falcon 4, so will see what they bring us with there "new" acquirement...

1 hour ago, Red2112 said:

Thanks Arch,

Glad to see you´re also Into flight. It seems MicroProse Is also going to bring back the original Falcon 4, so will see what they bring us with there "new" acquirement...

I started in flight before I got into cars. I think some day I should bust out the NASA documents and start studying how to make aerospace physics.

I don't think the MicroProse re-acquirement will do anything particularly to BMS, but it's interesting to see if they will actually try to make a modern sim contender. Somehow I have a feeling it'd be simcade though.

1 hour ago, Arch said:

I started in flight before I got into cars. I think some day I should bust out the NASA documents and start studying how to make aerospace physics.

I don't think the MicroProse re-acquirement will do anything particularly to BMS, but it's interesting to see if they will actually try to make a modern sim contender. Somehow I have a feeling it'd be simcade though.

Yeah not to sure what MicroProse will come up with at this stage, I mean BMS has come a long way since the Falcon 4 SuperPAK v4 day´s. You might want to have a look at Reentry (sim), the dev Is heavy Into the old NASA manual (Apollo ect.)...

Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/882140/Reentry__An_Orbital_Simulator/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really don't know what people see in rF2. I've given it a shot and tried to ignore the things that I do know are objectively wrong in the modeling and it still doesn't "feel" good. Same goes for AMS2; AMS1 is still far superior despite running on a model that can't even do relaxation length.

The missing link...

It would be absolutely great If the devs of DCS would implement this In the core game, or as a DLC.  GR has done a pretty good job, but a actual sonar suit with It´s screens would be awesome! Let´s hope someday this gets done In a professional way, with all due respects to the GR crew.  

Edited by Red2112

Assetto Corsa...

On sale 80% off (3,99€):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/244210/Assetto_Corsa/

If you want to get Into sim racing, this Is a great and cheap way to start. I would buy the Ultimate Edition. You should consider a wheel and pedal set. Entry level (belt drive) wheel sets are bound to get cheaper as Fanatec have announced  they are offering a wheel set bundle (Direct Drive) for a very competitive price, that Is their CSL DD Ready2Race BMW bundle:

Fanatec Ready2Race Bundle

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that guy really went all in :) Thanks for sharing.

I bought F1 23 the other day, went through the whole process of setting up the steering wheel etc. Then 1.5 hours fixing in-game settings to make it run in VR.

After 20 minutes of driving around, I remembered why I don't play racing games anymore (was a huge fan earlier)... By their nature racing sims are very repetitive.

Refunded the game :)

3 hours ago, Count Sessine said:

I bought F1 23 the other day, went through the whole process of setting up the steering wheel etc. Then 1.5 hours fixing in-game settings to make it run in VR.

After 20 minutes of driving around, I remembered why I don't play racing games anymore (was a huge fan earlier)... By their nature racing sims are very repetitive.

Not that F1 is much of a sim...

A lot of the fun gets lost if the car drives funny.

10 hours ago, Count Sessine said:

As I see It...

The first part of racing Is all about beating the timer and knowing the track you´re racing which both aspects go hand In hand. The better you know the track, the better timing you do. The second part has to do with technique, corner entry/exit, apex point, trail breaking/breaking zones, foot play etc. Then comes the actual race were you go against other drivers and what strategy you use. Probably the most difficult part (for me) Is the car set-up, which also plays a big part In the over all picture.

But yes, It´s a repetitive process of learning the track and proper technique over and over again to beat you´re own time trials, and later on other drivers time trials.  It´s like playing solos on the guitar, If you want to be agile and have good technique you have to practice every day and play the same scales every day till you can do It with you´re eyes closed! 😁

I guess It´s not for everyone. 

Although I find that joining RaceRoom Experience and climbing the latter (tier) as a beginner to gain access to newer races against others makes you want to get better, but the process mentioned above Is the same, It´s just that you have a reason to do It.

Edited by Red2112

• 1 month later...