Operation VARIABLE

Tacbat

Gentlemen,

Over the past few months I've been working away at another campaign. Using the lesson learned from Op Charcoal, I've come up with something new for the next few TGIF sessions. This campaign will give the commanders on both sides greater flexibility and input on how they go about achieving operational victory.

Please find attached a Word document which outlines the "rules" for this campaign, along with a spreadsheet to help calculate points. Have a look through them and ask any questions that you may have.

I will be ready with the first scenario for this upcoming TGIF. Sean, let me know if you have something else planned, and we can delay this for a week.

See you on the battlefield.

56e83c7512df3_OpVDocs_rar.ec16b986d140ce

Op V Docs.rar

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the last one you did was a blast. Can't wait for this one.

All you noobs who just got the game recently need to show up for this damn it to hell! The amount of time and effort that goes into making a campaign need not be wasted on 7 or 8 guys.

This is as much fun as you can have playing SB. So show up!

• Moderators

Ahh damnation! Unforutnately for me I don't think I will be here this TGIF. I was looking forward to another campaign. I am not selflish enough to say to delay it for me, certainly not, I was just expressing regret. :(

Maybe someone can CO BLUE and then I just take a sub unit in the 2nd scenario next week.

CO's can switch between scenarios, as long as they fulfill their post mission duties. No problem there. I don't want to stick one person with being the CO for the entire campaign (unless he wants to be). Not much fun in that.

Here's a screenshot of Map 1 for planning purposes. There are 10 objectives (black circles) on the map, plus one bonus objective (in green).

OPV1.jpg

I should be good to go this Friday so we can kick it off. Hopefully this Op will have ended before we start using the new update for TGIF. If not, then I can update the options to include some of the new equipment if we want to contiune playing this series.

I'm estimating that we can get 3-4 missions out of VARIABLE. By then we should have a winning side. If not, we can always call it a draw and switch over to the new version for TGIF in the latter part of April. I'm guessing end April, but this depends largely on when everyone receives their copy and is comfortable enough to use it for TGIF. I'll remain max flex to what the community wants to do, but this campaign was designed to work with 2.370.

Good idea Nils. Tac, i could swear we ended up with a strange line that had blue penetrating further in the north, but whatever works. ;) i was looking forward to a real mess, hehe.

EDIT: after reviewing the AAR again (what a fun fight), your map makes more sense -- we were very intermingled. i wonder if people could keep up with a 3 hour battle? that might be interesting... lol.

Yeah, I pushed both sides back a bit (1.5-2km each) so that we would have a bit of a buffer zone for the next fight.

I've seen it before where both sides had DZ's pretty much touching, and all hell broke loose as soon as the mission started. The battle was pretty much decided after 3 min.

This way we can have a little more control during the opening stages of the battle. The AI can't have all the fun. :)

We could also extend the mission time up to 90 min if that's what everyone wants.

Thanks Sean.

Here’s some further info from mission 1:

We had 13 players participate in the debut of Op VARIABLE.

Red: Sean (CO), Fidel, JHay, Chuikov, Sgt Slacker and Wombat

Blue: RogueSnake (CO), Tacbat, Mog, Trackpad, Gary Owen, Greevil and Hackworth

Both sides started in their respective deployment zones on either side of the map, then quickly moved into the center of the map. (Pic 1)

Blue moved the bulk of their force to the north and south, while Red deployed to the center and south. The terrain made for some close in fighting. (Pic 2)

Blue was able to secure the Green Valley in the north with a larger force of mech inf with tank support. Meanwhile, Red cautiously moved into position around Fletcher’s Farm in the South. (Pic 3)

In the end, both sides lost roughly the same amount of vehicles, although Blue lost their Fuel truck. Surviving vehicles on the Blue side will start the next mission with 50% fuel as a penalty. Red got an extra 500 points bonus for killing the fuel truck. Both sides were able to secure one objective in the center of the map, plus four more behind their front lines. All in all, it was a pretty balanced first encounter. (Pic 4)

Now it’s up to the CO’s to purchase reinforcements for mission 2. This will be the most significant factor in determining the strategy both sides will use for the next mission.

Thanks again to RogueSnake and Sean for taking the CO role.

If you missed the first mission, don’t worry. You can join the fight anytime you can make it. Mission 2 will be set to go on 03 April at the regular TGIF time. See you there!

Start.jpg.092f537c064ab50bdf5bc3279e8da9

11.jpg.e4fa6803548df23bb136506011418ec1.

22.jpg.9f7f0b714b527d56c64079d9df89d4ad.

End.jpg.491dad0f7b814d444d810b5b20a7d40a

Start.jpg.092f537c064ab50bdf5bc3279e8da9

11.jpg.e4fa6803548df23bb136506011418ec1.

22.jpg.9f7f0b714b527d56c64079d9df89d4ad.

End.jpg.491dad0f7b814d444d810b5b20a7d40a

...If you missed the first mission, don’t worry. You can join the fight anytime you can make it. Mission 2 will be set to go on 03 April at the regular TGIF time. See you there!

and regrettfully, i won't be able to make next week's mission. i'll be in palestine, TX shooting shotguns at nothing and drinking beer. (i cannot put a frownie behind these words because this usually proves quite fun.)