Operation VARIABLE

Tacbat

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from the word doc for Op Variable:

In order to successfully secure an objective, a combat ground unit must be inside the objective area at mission end. Support units and helicopters cannot hold objectives.

Infantry can hold an objective. Just remember the precedence of tanks/IFV's/infantry. One tank wins over all enemy IFV's and inf, IFV's win over all enemy inf.

The Talon Arms bonus objective can only be secured by an AFV as per the mission briefing.

This is from the word doc for Op Variable:

In order to successfully secure an objective, a combat ground unit must be inside the objective area at mission end. Support units and helicopters cannot hold objectives.

Infantry can hold an objective. Just remember the precedence of tanks/IFV's/infantry. One tank wins over all enemy IFV's and inf, IFV's win over all enemy inf.

The Talon Arms bonus objective can only be secured by an AFV as per the mission briefing.

Isn't that arse about face?

Infantry holds ground, tanks kill stuff and move on?

:biggrin:

Ghey

RTFM Noob.

Isn't that arse about face?

It is. However, since SB is a tank sim, I wanted to over emphasize the importance of the tanks so there will be more of them in the battle and less IFV/Infantry. I think it's more enjoyable to play a tank then an IFV, and most new players want a tank, so this way everyone should be happy.

IRL, every other arm of the service is a supporting arm to the infantry. But there's not much speed and excitment watching an infantry section crawl accross the battlefield only to be gunned down by a tank they should have killed with their anti-tank weapon.

IRL, every other arm of the service is a supporting arm to the infantry. .

Well generally that's the way we do it. However the combat team can either be op/Tac con to either the armoured or infantry. So it could be that all are under/work for the armoured Sqn.

Current ops now are however normally Op con to the Inf.

Any chance someone might be able to upload the actual AAR files for these two?

I loved poring over the CS AARs, and these look like they'd be great viewing.

I'd love to join in again, but so far my schedule doesn't allow for much. Maybe this friday. Maybe. :)

Red is german hardware and blue is american, correct?

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if someone could put up the AAR files. :)

Thank you.

Itkovian

Will a written AAR for Battle 2 be posted to this thread as it was for Battle 1 earlier in this thread? Or is that an OPSEC issue for the teams?

Looks like Battle 2 was a hard fight for a small patch of ground. I'm interested to see how each side approached their face-off. :)

CO's: For planning purposes, here are the starting boundarys for mission 3.

Start3.jpg

I go out of town for the weekend and you guys can't move dicktus on that map! i can't even take a vacation... ya'll couldn't take one measily OBJ...in fact, had to lose one! sheesh. okay, okay. I'll be there next Friday ;)

• Moderators

Well, let it be known that the M1s on BLUE will be protected. So no one needs to join BLUE thinking that they will snatch up one of the few M1 platoons to take them off to be killed. They have mostly been assigned out already. Just be willing to take something else. Of course RED has plenty of crap they can afford to piss away. ;)

Here’s a summary of mission 2:

We had 14 players participate in part 2.

Red: Sean (CO), Fidel, JHay, Chuikov, Sgt Slacker, Gopher, Smitty and Wombat

Blue: Volcano (CO), Tacbat, Mog, Trackpad, Gary Owen, and Greevil

Both sides started in their respective deployment zones based on their progress from mission 1. Both of the middle objectives were in neutral territory, so either side could capture them. (Pic 1)

In the north, Blue moved into the Green Valley and deployed troops early, while reinforcements were brought up from the rear. There was little movement in the center, while in the south, both sides advanced cautiously towards each other. (Pic 2)

The battle in the north was intense, but in the end Blue's M2's were outgunned by Red's CV90's. Nearly all of Blue's Mech Inf was lost in the north. There were sporadic engagements in the center, but it remained relatively quiet throughout. In the south, Blue tried to withstand a tide of Red infantry, but had to withdraw under pressure. Red attempted to swim ASLAV-25's towards the Talon Arms facility to capture it, but were engaged and destroyed by ATGM's from a Blue M2. (Pic 3)

In the end, Red captured the center two objectives, and earned the points for them. Blue was pushed back approximately two kilometers. Blue lost 26 vehicles, and Red lost 22. (Pic 4)

Blue did not purchase a fuel truck for mission 2, so they will have to do so for mission 3.

Thanks again to Sean and Volcano for taking the CO roles.

Remember, you can join the fight anytime you can make it. Mission 3 will be set to go on 10 April at the regular TGIF time. See you there!

Start.jpg.d6e070c3d6a11d9fc3aeff5f6addce

2.jpg.4ebf809c97a2729c4e7dfdc4f9ab1ab1.j

3.jpg.7a3fab357f1f2dfad8ca6ed866cc78ce.j

End.jpg.0cd03cb3090f728291a201356a4ecccf

Start.jpg.d6e070c3d6a11d9fc3aeff5f6addce

2.jpg.4ebf809c97a2729c4e7dfdc4f9ab1ab1.j

3.jpg.7a3fab357f1f2dfad8ca6ed866cc78ce.j

End.jpg.0cd03cb3090f728291a201356a4ecccf

Well, the lag kinda spoiled the fun a little in that one. A lot for some. Suppose it's got to happen once in a while.

Can't wait for the next one Tac!

By the way, new players that show up to participate will be forced to join the team with the least players.

We had a lot of new players, and too many went blue that time. Next time we will even it up better. I suppose the lag saved the campaign in a way. It would have been unfair for red, being so out numbered. And lag prevented the major battle from taking place. Which would have caused the imbalance to take center stage.