Operation VARIABLE

Tacbat

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were being mean, I'd require forces at Sandy Beach/Green Valley and for the main force area to have their own combat support elements to avoid penalties for no fuel/ammo/medic...

They are cut off from the main force elements by the red penetration to the lake shore...

If I were being mean, I'd require forces at Sandy Beach/Green Valley and for the main force area to have their own combat support elements to avoid penalties for no fuel/ammo/medic...

They are cut off from the main force elements by the red penetration to the lake shore...

I think your making judgments based simply on that map graphic. The penetration is actually a couple of stranded,disabled vehicles with some infantry.

The same logic that lets blue claim Sandy beach and Green valley allows red to have the outrageously optimistic FLOT depicted.

Mog

...outrageously optimistic FLOT

How so? Red and Blue had units in those areas at mission end. By definition, that would be the Forward Line of Own Troops for each side.

If not, then give me some ideas on how to go about establishing a more accurate FLOT. I'm always open to suggestions. :)

Cheers! :)

But seriously guys, if you see something that you want changed/added/deleted, make an argument for it and most likely it'll get implimented. I'm not the smartest sometimes, so I have probably overlooked something or other along the way that you guys may pick up. (But no UAV's :))

Cheers! :)

But seriously guys, if you see something that you want changed/added/deleted, make an argument for it and most likely it'll get implimented. I'm not the smartest sometimes, so I have probably overlooked something or other along the way that you guys may pick up. (But no UAV's :))

Why no UAVs? :frown: Surely Blue's lead in points is high enough for them to purchase one if it were made available, and both sides already have Tunguskas for air defense. Doesn't make much sense to give them no targets.:gun:

Why no UAVs? :frown: Surely Blue's lead in points is high enough for them to purchase one if it were made available, and both sides already have Tunguskas for air defense. Doesn't make much sense to give them no targets.:gun:

not if they are too expensive to purchase... besides, aren't there helos for the 2S6/Gepards to shoot at? aren't map updates enough to keep your SA up?

• Moderators

Yeah, I think UAVs would have to be something for a future iteration so that both sides can start with one from the beginning and then it go from there. Not to mention, new stuff can certainly be added over time but the trick is to balance it with point costs. It is not a good idea to do that during the middle of an ongoing campaign. ;)

One idea I would like to see is an air dropped BMD-2 unit of three BMD-2s but would be hella expensive (maybe 500-600+ points). This is not something that should be added in mid campaign though lol.

Why no UAVs?

Because I said so. :) They have a tendancy to spoil surprises. I'd rather get into an action packed engagment, then to spot bad guys 4km away and have arty dropped on them. Boring.

aren't there helos for the 2S6/Gepards to shoot at?

Yes, exactly. Plus soft skinned vehicles and infantry.

One idea I would like to see is an air dropped BMD-2.

There's an idea! That would give the SF det or the air mobile infantry some extra firepower if they deployed together. I could also add a condition to the "spawn if" option where if there's an EN 2S6 within 3-4km of the selected DZ, they will refuse to deploy on account of the aircrew not wanting to get shot down. The BMD(s) would then carry over to the next mission for another try.

• Moderators

There's an idea! That would give the SF det or the air mobile infantry some extra firepower if they deployed together. I could also add a condition to the "spawn if" option where if there's an EN 2S6 within 3-4km of the selected DZ, they will refuse to deploy on account of the aircrew not wanting to get shot down. The BMD(s) would then carry over to the next mission for another try.

That is brilliant. The "spawn if" region box could (or should) be rather large too -- it should be about 7 or 8 km2 which is the range of the SAM. It would further increase the usefulness of the ADA unit (not that it is already not useful) and encourage it to be left in the rear and spread out to prevent heavy air drops to stop possible REMF hunters from getting inserted. :)