Operation VARIABLE

Tacbat

The very presence of such a vehicle dicking around on the battlefield would be an unfair indicator of an enemy nearby. Once you cross the LD if you spotted this thing in no mans land it would be fair to assume that it is looking at or trailing enemy units, thus giving near confirmation of enemy closeby where without the vehicle, you have only suspicion and common sense to suspect enemy.

No one in their right mind would consider this a good idea.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The very presence of such a vehicle dicking around on the battlefield would be an unfair indicator of an enemy nearby. Once you cross the LD if you spotted this thing in no mans land it would be fair to assume that it is looking at or trailing enemy units, thus giving near confirmation of enemy closeby where without the vehicle, you have only suspicion and common sense to suspect enemy.

No one in their right mind would consider this a good idea.

All this has done is bring up a lot of generalities that we all already know about. And what you said is assuming it is seen in the first place. Because what is seen is hit, and reporters (in rough equivalents of what they really drive) don't want to be hit. It's easier for them to do just that in vehicles that are much smaller, with lower profiles, high acceleration and tight turning.

Also, for our edification, how do real reporters safely report battles? Out in the field, of course, not in the studio.:c:

how do real reporters safely report battles? Out in the field, of course...
They shut their mouths and listen.

Safely reporting battles bears a strong relationship to playing as a member of a team, by the way. You listen, you learn, and you speak only when something intelligent is going to come out of your mouth.

Good luck with that.

Shot

As for nixing, Tacbat didn't say for which idea. I assume it was for the LAV-25.

Both.

Now that that's been cleared up, we can drop any and all discussion about media involvement in Op Variable. If you want to discuss it further, start your own thread on the subject.

Here's a quick run down of the action in mission 7.

Pic 1: Starting positions for both sides.

Pic 2: Ending positions for both sides. Any questions?

JK,

Red sets up a mobile defence on the eastern side of the river and deploys obstacles around both bridges. Blue sets up with a strong force in the south.

Blue sweeps through Groesbeek Ridge in the south and continue to Eindhoven. Red has little in the south to defend with, and Blue reaches their side of the river with ease.

In the north, the story is different. Blue encounters determined resistance, and their Leo 1's are eventually all destroyed. Red missile teams also take their toll on Blue armour. Blue pushes for Arnhem bridge as Red withdraws across. Blue arty scores some kills on the bridge as Red repositions to the west.

Blue drops in their airborne infantry west of Arnhem bridge to try to disrupt Red's withdrawal, but they are quickly overrun on the drop zone.

Red's rear guard is able to make a counter attack late in the mission and they are able to secure "Hell's Highway" in the north.

Losses of vehicles were roughly equal. Blue lost more tanks, but Red lost more PC's.

OPv71.jpg.23af3b055258a873774a2e0975d728

OPv72.jpg.efe29dd424193a58f3d58c3c813606

OPv71.jpg.23af3b055258a873774a2e0975d728

OPv72.jpg.efe29dd424193a58f3d58c3c813606

Tacbat, Thanks for the AAR and the maps. It was a good fight.

Just out of curiosity have you guys ever considered doing this on another night besides Friday? Fridays can be tough for me, that is why I am not around much. Weeknights like Tuesday are always good. Just wondering.

S!

JD

The problem is finding a host with a good internet connection and who has the ability to host more then eight players. Since the resources are available for TGIF, it's the logical time to run the campaign.

There are very few people that meet the requirements to host a large session, and I think it would be unfair to monopolize their time twice a week.

No worries Tacbat,

I wasn’t think about two night, just doing a different night, but I saw in the Wiki that there has been a long tradition of Friday night tanking. I was just wondering about it because Fridays are difficult for me to attend and I really enjoy tanking online against other people. It seems the other nights of the week are slow for SB.

Again great fight, especially DarkAngel, we had a good slug out at about 1000m-1500m until he knocked out my main gun forcing me to withdraw, S!

JD

Edited by Jugdriver