Operation VARIABLE

Tacbat

The cries of outrage would be heard past Pluto, which is not to say that I think it's a bad idea.

The explanation to those exhibiting a case of diaper-rash should hopefully suggest that next time someone might trouble themselves to remove their heads from rectal storage, at least enough-so as to get the campaign manager the right info. 'See, Bob did it right. He gets a platoon of Leo 2A5s with uranium megadeath ammo as a reward. You didn't, and therefore get a rock.'

The cries of outrage would still be heard past Pluto.

Shot

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't think you can punish a whole team. If we've learned anything, its that at least two people that have good communication skills should lead each side. CO, and XO. That's it.

In the rare occasion that they both are MIA, the campaign is delayed a week. That will be plenty of punishment/public humiliation, for those sorry arses. If that doesn't work, well, then you have a forum Turd award given to both.

Whatever we do next I think Sean should get a pass as CO, if he wants it(I'm pretty shure he does). Its enough that he hosts, he needs a break. I think Shot, and GaryOwen would make a fine OPFOR CO XO combo. I mean, they are ghey with each other, so it should be ideal.

Shot/Gary? vs? Volcano/??? And everyone else floats. Meaning that a thread is started, and people post that they want to play. Then after a week or so, a private draft is held between the two COs. Flip a coin or something for first pic, and there's the teams. They should be more balanced. The CO's can keep up with who had the last pic, and along the campaign they can continue picking from the new guys/one timers.

Some hardcore M1, and likewise, Leo guys might be forced to learn another vehicle. Which is a good thing.

Wow, those are some great ideas RogueSnake. Your a genius!

It's up to the CO/XO to see that the don't punish the whole team. That's kinda sorta why there are COs/XOs in the first place.

And there are lots of good candidates out there besides me, V, and Gary. I didn't command any of the three campaigns I was involved in/ran.

Shot

I say if the CO/XO dont respond an open email be sent to that side and the first respondent makes the plan/purchases. No one can honestly have forecasted their availability to take care of business 4 to 5 months into the future of a campaign.

Mog

On the other hand, COs/XOs are perfectly capable of if nothing else picking up the phone and telling the appropriate individual(s) either that they can't make it, or to request a delay.

Happened all the time in FC and Counterstroke. 9erRed had work-related issues that suspended the campaign for six weeks during Counterstroke. Not a problem, he sent me an e-mail in advance and I posted an announcement.

Really, it's not that tough. If the campaign manager picks good people who are willing to CO/XO, the rest should pretty-much fall into place.

Shot

LOL Gary, ok I surrender.. :)

About picking CO/XO for next campaign... I don't care. The ones I mentioned seem to like that aspect.

We are all grown ups here, well most of us. Sometimes people just can't make it. And we understand that fine. If you pick two guys to lead each team the odds of a delay because of no communication are low. This is something we didn't do in Variable, and we've learned.

If you start punishing teams you start piss'n people off. We are too few to start that shite. How about this.

We know in variable that you get 1000 points each mission plus the value of objectives, and killed vehicles. Have the CO's pick 1000 points worth of stuff prior to the start of the campaign. Then, each time they miss the deadline that's what they get for the next mission. If they had more points than 1000(most certainly) then they lose that. There is the punishment you all seek. The mission goes on, and the campaign is not wrecked. The other players still have a fighting chance without them.

Had there been known XO's, or a contingency plan like above, there wouldn't have been a problem. Part of the learning process. No one thought Variable would go as long as it has, or foresaw this issue.

Well, we do have a contigency plan for the current campaign. It's called the "campaign coordinator does his best to choose the equipment for the next mission" plan. So, there's no delay with regards to the equipment selection issue.

Having an XO in furture campaigns would work if the CO is absent. The problem right now is if the Red CO doesn't make it for TGIF, then there isn't a TGIF.

• Moderators

Well, the Hamachi thing is the problem. I mean if we are all required to get it, sure, most of us can manage that. But a lot of people around here are doing good just to be turning their computer on and connecting to the IP given in TS -- hell, we can't even manage to do the channel commander stuff in TS even though instructions for such are readily available.

Requiring Hamachi for the clients would only make it that much harder to get people to together. I am going to see if I have a sufficient connection to be an alternate unlimited host. I don't have the best connection in the world, but it is worth a shot to experiment and see how it goes.

Sounds good. Either way, I think it would be a good idea to find a second host for TGIF so that Sean can take a break now and then.

I'd be willing to put together a step-by-step guide for Hamachi if we ever needed to go that route. One might argue that it's easier to set up then port forwarding. :)

Well, no, I don't think the problem is that. I think the main problem is not that more people need the uber host version, it is that the people who pushed and bothered others to secure it for themselves never actually host. Needless to say, these people have caused the giving out of this special host version to not be so forth coming anymore.

Not to mention, most people who could get it don't have a good enough connection to support 20 or so people. :(

I used to live 100 miles down the road from D.C. and had an awesome fiber connection. When Sean asked me to sub a few times, I did so. Now that I live in the stix, my "Uber" version is all but useless. So, I did carry the torch a few times when needed. If you'd all like, I can take my "Uber" version out back, shoot it in the head, and then bury it.

• Moderators
I used to live 100 miles down the road from D.C. and had an awesome fiber connection. When Sean asked me to sub a few times, I did so. Now that I live in the stix, my "Uber" version is all but useless. So, I did carry the torch a few times when needed. If you'd all like, I can take my "Uber" version out back, shoot it in the head, and then bury it.

Nah, no need for that. I wasn't really referring to you -- I knew you recently downgraded your internet connection to 14.4 baud so the uber host version would not be practical with your new situation. :frown: But I know we have had others get it in the past, some of which I have never seen host a game. Oh well, I suppose it doesn't matter anyway, all the previous uber host versions are probably several versions behind now.