Operation VARIABLE

Tacbat

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once the war has ended, I will save you from the lynching mob, and take you as a pet. I will teach you tricks. You will become famous, people will travel from far away lands to see you perform.

The sight of a transsexual cowboy dressed in a pink tutu, jumping trough flaming rings will be impossible to resist. And will make me a wealthy man.

Tacbat,

Would it be possible to see the initial positions and ending positions for Mission 10?

I have a question regarding units behind enemy lines. The Blues had airborne infantry behind the Red lines at the start of mission 10, it seemed Blue had a fair amount of latitude to position those units before the start of the mission. Do units behind enemy lines have the same latitude or greater latitude for pre mission placement as enemy units in the same area?

I also want to echo what others have said regarding Operation Variable and all the work you put into it; Thank you very much, it is an outstanding campaign and tons of fun.

JD

Tacbat,

Should have chimed in long ago to say how much I'm enjoying OP VARIABLE. You've done a super job for all SB forumites. Well Done!

Now I gotta go change the spark plugs in my tank. Only takes a day and a half...really! :)

D__bigthumbnails_disk7_874_874-IMG0.jpg

A real oldie, but a goodie!!

• Moderators
Tacbat,

Would it be possible to see the initial positions and ending positions for Mission 10?

I have a question regarding units behind enemy lines. The Blues had airborne infantry behind the Red lines at the start of mission 10, it seemed Blue had a fair amount of latitude to position those units before the start of the mission. Do units behind enemy lines have the same latitude or greater latitude for pre mission placement as enemy units in the same area?

I also want to echo what others have said regarding Operation Variable and all the work you put into it; Thank you very much, it is an outstanding campaign and tons of fun.

JD

The airmobile infantry have square deployment zones in their immediate vicinity and are shared by color, so they could be moved between them similar to other infantry deployment zones. Of course moving them to one deployment has its disadvantages since it restricts where they will be next time. At least that is how it happened anyway...

I'll post up an AAR for mission 10 eventually. I've been busy with work. It will have the starting and ending positions for all the units.

Units that remain behind enemy lines are give their own smaller deployment zones so they won't be exactly where they were at the end of the last mission. Also, since a limited number of seperate DZ's can be made (limited by the available colours), I deceided to make them the same so they could "link-up" with each other if that's what the CO wanted to do.

If you take a look here, you'll be able to read through the rules which will help explain how things work.

Should have chimed in long ago to say how much I'm enjoying OP VARIABLE. You've done a super job for all SB forumites. Well Done!

Glad you guys are enjoying yourselves. :)

Tacbat, Volcano thank you for your responses, I appreciate the clarification.

I want to bring something else up that has been discussed on the Red side, would it be possible to have a limit on the amount of time spent in the briefing screen before the launch of the game? It is taking an hour to launch the game from the time we get into the briefing screen, which I (and several others on the Red side) think is bit excessive. I know that there is planning going on, but given the amount of time between missions I would think there could be some preplanning (which is happening on the Red side) so that we could limit the in game briefing/planning time to half an hour. At the very least IMO we should implement a time limit for planning so that there is some expediency with regards to pre mission planning.

JD

I agree, planning is taking a lot of time. Blue is working on a solution to speed it up, so we'll see how it goes. Graphics have to be drawn, vehicles divided up, and orders issued. Believe me, Blue usually has their plan for the next mission ready within 2-3 days after the last mission has been played. If we had the "Load saved plan" feature back in SB, that would certainly help. Either that, or a count down timer added in the planning phase. :)

For now, we'll just have to be patient. Maybe browse the forums in the meantime...

OK, AAR from mission 10:

We had 19 players fight it out in Mission 10.

Pic 1 - Starting positions. Blue set up to regain ground it lost after the destruction of their Engineer in the last mission. Surviving air mobile infantry linked up with each other and got ready to continue scouting for the Red HQ. Blue massed most of their armour around "Hell's Highway" in preparation for a bridge crossing. Red continued to defend the two bridge crossings with armour and ATGM teams.

Pic 2 - Ending positions. Blue deployed 2 Spec Ops teams which placed IED's along likely routes of advance and managed to damage two of Red's tanks. Blue also used airborne forces to secure the western side of Pegasus bridge near the end of the mission. Red was able to disrupt a planned crossing of that bridge with long range direct fire, and also deployed a FASCAM minefield near the bridge. Having lost a number of their mineplows, Blue was unable to get any support across the bridge to help the airbone forces. Blue was able to secure Arnhem bridge with a small ground force. In the south, both sides exchanged long range shots, scoring hits on each other.

Blue lost 7 vehicles, while Red lost 28.

Start.jpg.902b7a347b5d22ef2968c19ab27c48

End.jpg.c61a04252b0a06e66860383726f28474

Start.jpg.902b7a347b5d22ef2968c19ab27c48

End.jpg.c61a04252b0a06e66860383726f28474

I want to bring something else up that has been discussed on the Red side, would it be possible to have a limit on the amount of time spent in the briefing screen before the launch of the game? It is taking an hour to launch the game from the time we get into the briefing screen, which I (and several others on the Red side) think is bit excessive. I know that there is planning going on, but given the amount of time between missions I would think there could be some preplanning (which is happening on the Red side) so that we could limit the in game briefing/planning time to half an hour. At the very least IMO we should implement a time limit for planning so that there is some expediency with regards to pre mission planning.

JD

So, how long is long enough to put out the plan, the graphics, and any other details needed to conduct an opposed river crossing? 10 minutes? 5? 2? Blue usually has its plan for the next mission by the following Monday. That however doesnt help much, as everyone that shows up on Blue must get their part of the plan. Saved load saved plan would help but alas, it isnt available now. Red chose the map. There are only two places blue can cross its main body. All Red has to do is cover those two grids. Not much planning needed for that. But its Blue taking "excessive" planning time to force a crossing? I dont want to sound like a prick but whining about Blue plan times doesnt elicit much sympathy on Blues part. We understand that everyone wants to play and doesnt want to sit around waiting for the other side to make a plan. Blue does everything it can to speed the process, from briefing possible courses of action early in the week to dividing up graphics to be posted, etc.

As for the blue infantry deployment, I yield to the mighty Volcano for the explanation. I would however direct your attention to the Red deployments on the first battle on this map.

Tacbat is doing a great job on this campaign and there are things which have been discovered that he is fixing for a possible future campaign. Im sure suggestions are always welcome, but I find the complaining about Blues planning times a bit galling.

I shut up now,

Mog

Mogwa, Red are coming to the Battle prepared as well, that is why I was asking the question, we seem to be ready to go about half hour (or a little more) after the mission launches to the briefing, but we are in the briefing screen for an hour before launch. As for just covering two grids, you are oversimplifying our position. When I asked about a time limit I was thinking 30 to 45 minutes or even an hour if need be, not 5 to 10 minutes. The idea behind a time limit is to get each side to work diligently towards getting set up and launching a mission, if each side knows they only have a certain amount of time to prepare then it is a motivator to get ready as quickly as possible, this is not some attempt to handicap Blue planning. I am sorry this is a “bit galling” but it isn’t going to stop me from bringing it up, it is a legitimate question and nothing more.

JD

• Moderators

JD

Yes, it is a legitimate question but Red users must consider that the defender does not have nearly as much to plan as the attacker does in almost every case. So yes, Blue certainly needs more time to plan simply because we have to draw at least 10 times the map graphics. So unfortunately we will not be rushing our attack plan just to appease those that just want quick action. But seriously -- as Tacbat said -- hopefully we can get the load / save map graphics back in SB which will speed it up exponentially. I can't see why that extra time cannot be utilized by Red to plot out reference points, look at the 3D view for good firing positions, etc. If everyone really is just sitting around doing nothing then they are just wrong.

I recommend that we start the planning phase on time and then the actual mission will start at a reasonable time as well. It seems like we are getting out of the Assembly Area later and later each week, sometimes not getting to the planning phase until +45 min.

Edited by Volcano
typos

Blue has to cross at one (or both) bridges. These bridges are less then 4.5K from each other. There are clear fields of fire on the bridges and the approaches.Tanks dont swim. Red needs to cover these two crossings. Red may try to cross also, and has a small infantry force in its rear area. That is not an oversimplification. Blue is generally on offense and Red is generally on defense at this point. I would be worried if Red needed more then 30 minutes to have a plan issued.To capture any further objectives, a bridge must get crossed, and that takes planning. More planning then is required to cover those two bridges, or have a PC skulk over to an obj as the game ends.

Contrary to what your reply infers, Blue does not need "motivating" and is working as diligently as is possible to get the plan out and the game started. This isnt ARMA or Americas Army, getting the plan drawn out and discussed takes time. Blue is going as fast as possible. Next time you can be the damned CO and we can all be dazzled by the wonderous plans you issue in mere moments.

Mog

Jugdriver is right to ask the question, but Mog and VM have pretty well pinned the answer. VARIABLE is a campaign, not a one-shot (pardon the pun) scenario. Teams will lose ground and vehicles (and thus will lose points and positions) as a direct result of the effectiveness, or otherwise, of their plan and the manner in which it is briefed to participants. I'm not going to get into the whole "battle procedure" discussion, but it does take time to brief in subordinate players properly. Couple this with the fact that BLUE is attempting a deliberate assault river crossing (with all that that type of operation entails) and you can see why it takes time for preparation. I am sure that BLUE tries to get ready as quickly as possible, commensurate with their preparation requirements. Game On!

Look, Leeroy is a meme. And like Andy Warhol, has his own wikipedia entry.

(There's an interesting theme for a doctoral thesis in sociology --- How has the interwebs effected the meaning of Warhol's "15 minutes of fame" comment? Before too long we'll all have wiki entries, which may lead to a bizarre form of immortality.)