Operation VARIABLE

Tacbat

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, Leeroy is a meme. And like Andy Warhol, has his own wikipedia entry.

(There's an interesting theme for a doctoral thesis in sociology --- How has the interwebs effected the meaning of Warhol's "15 minutes of fame" comment? Before too long we'll all have wiki entries, which may lead to a bizarre form of immortality.)

Something you may find even more on topic with Leroy:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/08/army-officer-trainers-in-iraq-like-warcraft-spoiler/

Seems that the Army is having a similar issue w/ switching roles to training in Iraq.

So hey, it's not just a Blue problem. Let the guys plan! :)

• Moderators

Not to ruin all the talk about lube and piss on the parade such, but I think Sean isn't going to be here tonight to host OpV (unless he says differently). Which basically leaves us with no host for the big mission so we will probably have to split up again and play something else like before.

To make it worse, I won't be around next weekend (28 AUG) and the weekend after that (4 SEP) so if there is no OpV tonight then it will either have to be put on hold for three weeks or RogueSnake will have to lead us to victory while I am away. Of course we could use all this time to play some new scenarios...

As a bit of counterpoint, COs were appointed for both First Clash and Counterstroke.

Each campaign experienced delays because either/both COs did not send me their setup/deployment info in time for the next game.

Maybe the fix is something like 'If you don't get me what I need in time for the next game, you forfeit the next game and lose all the units presently on-map', for example.

Shot

Interesting that you should mention that Shot. I was thinking about a bonus/penalty for not getting info in on time. Still a little abstract though.

It's just unfortunate that we only have one person with the requirements for hosting TGIF, and it's not like we as a community can monopolize his time each Friday, as much as we'd like too. Maybe if the job paid better... :)

The fix is to get more people with the ueber .exe, with regard to hosting. For FC and CS I recruited hosts, which worked out well as there were occasions where Sean was unable to do so.

Another idea for goading COs to get you what you want could go something like, 'All your units for the next mission start out unable to move for the first few minutes' and tie that to a Damage if... condition.

To be honest though, I had pretty good comms with the COs for both FC and CS. I only had to delay a game twice for reasons of deploymentus interruptus and that was usually because of something work-related that cropped up at the last minute.

If you do this again, I recommend PMing potential COs in advance. Tell them what you want to do, tell them what you want them to do, and select suitable individuals therefrom. Hack and I are (slowly but surely) making our way toward another campaign. When I got the wind up initially I talked to a couple of folks about doing the CO thing and they were receptive. I PMed those individuals because I knew that they were that reliable.

Choosing COs on that basis is also a good way to keep the game flowing. I asked 9erRed, GaryOwen, and 12Alfa to CO for the two campaigns I ran. I chose them because I believed that they could be generally counted on to get me what I wanted, when I needed to have it. 9er in particular was not only very good about getting stuff to me, he was willing to spend literally hours with me placing units and fortifications and so forth. GaryOwen and 12Alfa were also very helpful, which was why I chosen them as candidate COs.

You do the same next time out and I predict that you won't go wrong.

Shot

PS Next time out, if you want a CO, I'll volunteer. For whatever.

• Moderators
The fix is to get more people with the ueber .exe, with regard to hosting. For FC and CS I recruited hosts, which worked out well as there were occasions where Sean was unable to do so.

Well, no, I don't think the problem is that. I think the main problem is not that more people need the uber host version, it is that the people who pushed and bothered others to secure it for themselves never actually host. Needless to say, these people have caused the giving out of this special host version to not be so forth coming anymore.

Not to mention, most people who could get it don't have a good enough connection to support 20 or so people. :(

If there was an XO, then if the CO didn't reply by, say, Mon-Tues, then the XO would would get notified, and have until Wed to take care of everything. Allowing Thurs-Fri for the person running the campaign to get things setup. This would put an additional layer of insulation between normal conduct of the campaign and an arbitrary penalty on an entire team, that cannot affect whether their own CO fulfills his task for the next week.

The two things that Ive seen that cause heartburn in the campaign so far is extended delays in the conduct of the next mission and the unexpected results of penalties. Aside from the bitching when a Op V mission is delayed (which is a good sign, because it shows continued interest amongst the participants) there is a disruption of the "flow" of the battle. One side or the other getting tapped with a 5 minutes of damage at game start, or a shift in the FLOT, or whatever, would cause predictable outrage.

The only cure i can see is to establish a "chain of command" for each side as deep as required. That way if Joe doesn't reply, it falls onto Bob, and if he doesn't reply then it goes to Sam, etc. The problem is there has to be a cutoff date, to give the campaign organizer sufficient time to setup the next game. If the every other week thing is going to be the norm in the future then I suppose the time line could be a bit more relaxed.

Mog

So be it. Someone in the chain should be able to be responsible during any given week. ( no guarentees, of course) however this occurance is infinetly better then starting a sce and finding out the FLOT has retreated X kilometers, the ammo is watered down, etc. That kind of stuff will kill a campaign.

Mog

• Moderators
I was thinking of giving the side that gets their info in on time a "bonus" rather then a penalty to the offending side. Something like surprise, here's a brand new platoon of Leo 2E's with plus'd up ammo. Have fun.

That is a good idea. Plus it would make the keeping track of "bonus" or "penalty" points unnecessary, which can completely screw up the purchase system since such bonus / penalty comes after the purchase information is acquired.