Operation VARIABLE

Tacbat

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course not. OP VARIABLE has been postponed until late this month or early next month.

Is that a fact? I'd stop making comments on things you have no control over, and let the grownups handle it.

Rogue,

The next mission is at a point where we could very well play it tonight, but due to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, I can't devote the requisit time to putting the finishing touches on it today (all true Canucks will understand).

stanleycup.jpg

Expect to resume the campaign on 26 June.

I heard its grown ups only now. :)
Actually, as of right now, my participation in VARIABLE is on yellow light. :sonic:

On another note, wouldn't it be interesting if we put some Mercedes jeeps on one side or another, and had any new players jump in them and try to be reporters? It'd be pretty amusing to see what they'd come up with as they scurried around the battlefield. What should Mercedes jeeps be accorded in unit costs? 5 points?

Actually, as of right now, my participation in VARIABLE is on yellow light. :sonic:

On another note, wouldn't it be interesting if we put some Mercedes jeeps on one side or another, and had any new players jump in them and try to be reporters? It'd be pretty amusing to see what they'd come up with as they scurried around the battlefield. What should Mercedes jeeps be accorded in unit costs? 5 points?

I really want to say that "I wish u would grow up a little and learn to take a hint." but since i am a nice guy i wont say it.

Regards

Ash

Its an interesting idea though.

Have an impartial participent going around filming the action.

Of course one would have to establish a gentlemen's agreement:

Not to shoot the jeeps.

But i think a medical track would work better, as the AI tends to ignore them.

New players zooming around would just be stupid though, doesn't give the right impression.

Its an interesting idea though.

Have an impartial participent going around filming the action.

Of course one would have to establish a gentlemen's agreement:

Not to shoot the jeeps.

But i think a medical track would work better, as the AI tends to ignore them.

New players zooming around would just be stupid though, doesn't give the right impression.

Yeah, I thought having new players might simulate an annoying presence that journalists can be, but I could be wrong. An impartial person going around to film all the action is a nice interpretation of my idea, and I thought that might be accomplished instead, or at the same time. Plus, there's the practical matter of Mercedes jeeps not having point values for purchase and destruction.

Be it proposed for the Mercedes jeeps if they are integrated into the motor pool of OP VARIABLE:

• That the GD 240 (open top) version cost 5 points to purchase, and the GD 240 XO/CO cost 10 points to purchase.
  • That the destruction of either vehicle will award the destroyer's side 5 points.
  • Both the purchase and destruction points awarded are based on the purchase and destruction points for the M1025 Humvee

One last question: What about integrating the LAV-25 into OP VARIABLE?

Be it proposed for the LAV-25 if it is integrated into the motor pool of OP VARIABLE:

• That the LAV-25's destruction and purchase costs be the same as those for the ASLAV-PC and ASLAV-25, as it is essentially a non-crewable ASLAV-25 with infantry dismounts.

• That the LAV-25's destruction and purchase costs be the same as those for the ASLAV-PC and ASLAV-25, as it is essentially a non-crewable ASLAV-25 with infantry dismounts.

and this is probably the reason to make it LESS expensive than the crewable vehicles... vehicles being crewable have a big advantage over those that are not.

the idea of using the merc is pretty bad though. you can't tell the AI to ignore them. the Medical vehicles would be better for your idea.

then again, why would a newbie want to be relegated to this function? if i were new, i would want to play, learn and contribute to the battle.

and this is probably the reason to make it LESS expensive than the crewable vehicles... vehicles being crewable have a big advantage over those that are not.

the idea of using the merc is pretty bad though. you can't tell the AI to ignore them. the Medical vehicles would be better for your idea.

Alright, then how about we make the purchase cost for the LAV-25 30 points, but keep the destruction award the same?

What's so bad about the Mercedes jeeps? I don't get the part about the AI not ignoring them, and they are the vehicles you would expect to see reporters zipping around in.

What's so bad about the Mercedes jeeps? I don't get the part about the AI not ignoring them, and they are the vehicles you would expect to see reporters zipping around in.

the AI will kill them regardless of them being "reporters". Medical vehicles are not fired on by the artificial intelligence, only trigger-happy humans.

are the vehicles you would expect to see reporters zipping around in.

The G wagon is $:eek2:, and I have never seen the media in one yet. Could you post some data or pics on this?:confused:

Usually they drive the rentals in country Toyota's or such.:cul:

the AI will kill them regardless of them being "reporters". Medical vehicles are not fired on by the artificial intelligence, only trigger-happy humans.
That's doubtful in my mind. And bear in mind if one of our medical vehicles goes down while doing double duty as a film platform, it will bite us in the ass come next mission. Plus, I don't think you can have more than 1 medic vehicle in the field at a time? So for reporting and filming, we might want a Humvee instead.

... do you always have this much trouble with reality?

also, the idea has been nixed. so, no real point in debating how to accomplish it.

In the minds of some, yes. As for nixing, Tacbat didn't say for which idea. I assume it was for the LAV-25.

12Alfa, I chose the G-Wagen because it looked fairly close to what I pictured an official correspondent's vehicle would look like, or at least the closest that Steel Beasts gets to beat up rental Toyotas. I just don't think a Toyosa truck with a HMG welded to the truck bed would look like a reporter's vehicle. BTW, will technicals ever be implemented into OP VARIABLE?

You can't do something like this unless there was a 3rd "non-combatant side" (yellow) in SB. What Hackworth is trying to say is that the MB 240GD would be shot and killed by AI gunners of the opposing side and there is no way to prevent that.
Oh, ok. :cul: :heu: I thought he was talking about fratricide. But they have low profiles and small targets, so if kept out of especially hot zones, and carefully maneuvered to take advantage of terrain, they could still do what I envisioned.