Question about my licence

kostanapoli
Go to solution Solved by Gibsonm,

7 minutes ago, kostanapoli said:

Hello! I have a little question.
I want to buy a new CPU, if i change my CPU my licence will not expire? Maybe it is tied to my pc characteristics?

Hi,

What type of license do you have?

A permanent one (has a USB dongle) can be swapped from machine to machine as needed.

A time based license (no dongle) is linked to your current hardware.

Edited by Gibsonm

Just now, Gibsonm said:

Hi,

What type of license do you have?

A permanent one (has a USB dongle) can be swapped from machine to machine as needed.

A time based license (no dongle) is linked to your current hardware.

My licence is pemanent. So if I change my CPU I can just insert my USB stick in the PC and like re-activare my licence?

• Solution
6 minutes ago, kostanapoli said:

My licence is pemanent. So if I change my CPU I can just insert my USB stick in the PC and like re-activare my licence?

Simpler than that.

Just install the software and plug the USB stick into the slot - no need to "re-activate".

You could have the software on 5 machines and just move the USB stick from machine to machine as required.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

Classic licenses are completely independent of your computer. So, as suggested above, you may install Steel Beasts on computers that you personally own (per EULA conditions), and either plug in the CM stick on whichever computer you want to use, or you'd configure one machine as a license server.

Time-based licenses on the other hand are tied to the computer hardware. Here, we have chosen to use the most liberal approach where you may change up to three out of five hardware components without invalidating the license (CPU ID, MAC address, mainboard serial number, boot disk serial number, and one more thing that I don't remember right now). In addition, it is bound to your Windows license/ID.

That being said, unless you swap a mainboard to the exact same mainboard model and revision, this usually triggers a Windows reinstallation (because drivers change etc), and the change of the Windows ID is what invalidates a container for time-based licenses. Also, typically a mainboard swap also means replacing the network adapter with its MAC address, so that would count as changing two items already.

Three videos with technical background for future readers who search for the answers in this forum and may stumble across this thread: