Some users seem to be missing base map "ScaniaSE"

ben
Go to solution Solved by Ssnake,

I have had a few complaints from my scenarios using ScaniaSE

UID  ac29cdfa-a24d-4f61-a5ed-0885e3332a95

Several guys have not had this base map installed with the map installer.

Downloading it with the map tools seems to work.  However:

image.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/794340221319380994/1065075761167474739/image.png

This error message pops up, it is looking for the delta map (the embedded map couldn't locate the base map to install), why doesn't it prompt to download the missing BASE map instead?

I guess in summary:

- Is ScaniaSE actually a default base map installed with the map installer?

- Why might some users not have it?

- Why is there no prompt to download the missing base map when an embedded delta attempts to install?

- Have I completely screwed something up on my end? (quite possible!)

Edited by ben

• Members

It may be a different version with the same file/folder/map name.

I don't trust that my own map package folder contains only the default base maps, so I cannot check. But the only way to verify whether a certain map package is the same as the one you think it is, is to compare the map UIDs. That's the whole point of them, and it's the reason why we introduced them. Because file names simply weren't enough to ensure that all participants in a network session where operating from the same map.

11 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

It may be a different version with the same file/folder/map name.

I don't trust that my own map package folder contains only the default base maps, so I cannot check. But the only way to verify whether a certain map package is the same as the one you think it is, is to compare the map UIDs. That's the whole point of them, and it's the reason why we introduced them. Because file names simply weren't enough to ensure that all participants in a network session where operating from the same map.

I did consider this, but I am on a freshly installed PC, have not been downloading any extra maps!  Do you have a list of default maps and folder structure for the map installer?

• Members

Did you have a previous Steel Beasts installation?

Then there's still the possibility that you have more than just the base maps on your machine. Ultimately, I think, the solution is to contact our webmaster and send him this delta map that so many players seem to miss, so we can put it on the eSim Games map server. That way it should be easy enough to fix the problem, whatever its true nature may be.

1 minute ago, Ssnake said:

Did you have a previous Steel Beasts installation?

Then there's still the possibility that you have more than just the base maps on your machine. Ultimately, I think, the solution is to contact our webmaster and send him this delta map that so many players seem to miss, so we can put it on the eSim Games map server. That way it should be easy enough to fix the problem, whatever its true nature may be.

It’s a fresh windows install so I’m sure that it’s a default map.  Anyway, regardless;

The Base Map IS already on the server.

The problem is, when an embedded delta map tries to install (when launching a scenario)  SB does not prompt the user to download the missing  Base Map.

This situation is not gracefully handled, it asks the user to query the server for the embedded Delta, which they already have waiting to be installed in the .sce file!

• Members

The Transfer Manager will (attempt to) download any missing base map if you query for a delta map. The question is, is this a hand-off problem from Steel Beasts to the Transfer Manager, or is the base map on our map server not the one that this Delta map needs (again, the only way to know is by comparison of Map UIDs).

24 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

or is the base map on our map server not the one that this Delta map needs (again, the only way to know is by comparison of Map UIDs).

ac29cdfa-a24d-4f61-a5ed-0885e3332a95

That's the UID in question, and yes it is on your map server.

24 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

The Transfer Manager will (attempt to) download any missing base map if you query for a delta map.

Can you test it as follows?

1) Delete the base map directory   "ScaniaSE"

2) Open Map Editor and click refresh maps (just to be sure)

3) Run this scenario and see if the embedded Delta properly tries to download the "ScaniaSE" Base Map.

'Embed map' feature was intended to simplify distribution of delta maps, since it was not possible to transfer those during network sessions. At this point to make it work you need to have base map installed. If you don't have  base map installed, SB is not able to install embedded delta and will try to query it from server first, and thus will fail to download associated base map.

We will try to address this issue.

25 minutes ago, Jartsev said:

'Embed map' feature was intended to simplify distribution of delta maps, since it was not possible to transfer those during network sessions. At this point to make it work you need to have base map installed. If you don't have  base map installed, SB is not able to install embedded delta and will try to query it from server first, and thus will fail to download associated base map.

We will try to address this issue.

Thanks for the info. It should be a simple fix; the map query just needs to point at the base map instead of the delta.

8 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

It's now registered as #11440.

Thanks for looking into it!

For now I will include the names and UIDs of the base maps in the description for my scenarios just in case someone has doesn’t have it or deleted it etc.