4.363 Leo 1A5 Thermal resolution - Bug / Feature / Reality / Graphic compromise for performance?

Gibsonm

Hi,

Just finished a session crewing Leo 1A5s.

Had an interesting experience where the TI provided "deeper" observation into a woods on low mag, than high mag.

Situation:

SS_11_45_45.thumb.jpg.bd7a27e7e6dd6909f6856fb7ad0b737f.jpg

My vehicle A34 is on a ridge with a barn on the right side of the road on the next feature at roughly 400m and a small hamlet at about 800m.

High magnification:

SS_11_44_00.thumb.jpg.5717e00fe786302fd7b10324cc238d3f.jpg

Can see the first rise. The barn is out of sight to the right of the road.

Can see a vague outline of the building at 800m at the aiming point.

Low magnification:

SS_11_43_54.thumb.jpg.333fe78a59538ec2c5b47aa2aa47f73f.jpg

Can see the building end on with 4 widows, 2 per floor, etc.

Trees are now effectively just trunks, with many smaller branches not displayed.

As per the subject line, unsure if this is an issue or not.

Same happens with other Leopards too. And possibly on all other vehicles? Especially on certain map themes with at least that one type of tree. It has been at least since 4.1. 

I have had this problem especially on winter themes with all supposed leaf trees becoming trunks like that. That change how much branches there is.

Same problem is visible on @Maic recent mission "upland defense"

I think tree in question is default generalized leaf tree if I remember it correct. Or rather... It's winter theme replacement with no leafs just branches. 

I'd say it is a problem. Even id it's rather rare and specific situation / map / theme. It does keep occurring from time to time. And let's for example imagine TGIF. Defenders closer to trees and attacker more far. They would see defenders but defenders wouldn't have any chance to see attacker. It would make temptation to cheat, wouldn't it? 

• Members

Can you please create us a scenario where this can be observed (like, having a Leopard 1A5 in exactly that location with the same time of day (and possibly the weather conditions, although I don't think that they have an influence on this specific situation)). No other units around. We can then inspect if it's the terrain theme in the scenario, an artwork issue with these trees, or a problem with the way our rendering engine works.

11 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Can you please create us a scenario where this can be observed (like, having a Leopard 1A5 in exactly that location with the same time of day (and possibly the weather conditions, although I don't think that they have an influence on this specific situation)). No other units around. We can then inspect if it's the terrain theme in the scenario, an artwork issue with these trees, or a problem with the way our rendering engine works.

Sure I'll run the scenario (trimmed of Red and other Blue) and save at that time.

Standby ...

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators

I know we have the scenario there, but can you take a non-thermal view of the tree in question, just to make sure we are focusing our attention on the correct tree?

(It also wouldn't hurt to go into the F8 "floaty cam" (in the Mission Editor) and turn on thermal and see if the same thing is true, and move the camera forward and backwards to see if it only happens at a certain distance (this would imply an LOD issue).)

Just now, Volcano said:

I know we have the scenario there, but can you take a non-thermal view of the tree in question, just to make sure we are focusing our attention on the correct tree?

(It also wouldn't hurt to go into the F8 "floaty cam" (in the Mission Editor) and turn on thermal and see if the same thing is true, and move the camera forward and backwards to see if it only happens at a certain distance (this would imply an LOD issue).)

OK, but it will be in a few hours time, got a couple of other things to get finished first.

• Moderators

OK thanks, that helps. Yes, its a common theme among the winter versions, because its hard to get the similar density with the bare branches on the lower LODs while still reducing them dramatically to allow for reasonable performance (it is the ugly tradeoff). But perhaps it can be improved with more panels on the LOD2s, we'll see...