4.363 "Tether" range for Infantry to their parent vehicles?

Gibsonm
Go to solution Solved by Volcano,

Is there a requirement to remain within a specific distance for a vehicle to retain its link to its passengers?

A few times now I've tried to use reverse slopes for Mech Infantry and had the vehicles take off and leave the Infantry behind.

image.thumb.png.ed1c5aed772d6ac4b335c728702ad1b3.png

Here waypoint 201 is on the reverse slope (the crest line is approximately the black line).

At WP201 4D, a Mech Pl, is told to dismount its troops. It has a Mount if ..." command too.

I've tried Defend or even Stay but often (not 100% repeatable) the vehicles go over the crest and end up roughly where the blue dashed line is.

Then when the conditions are met to re-mount and continue, the vehicles advance leaving the passengers stranded at 201.

I've even made the route from 201 conditional in terms of the unit having to be "carrying passengers" to proceed but it seems that once the vehicle gets beyond Xm from its passengers, it just forgets about them.

4 minutes ago, Volcano said:

Looked into this. The second condition...

Unit {this} {has} reached waypoint {   }

...is missing the waypoint. After adding 201, it works fine, so that seemed to be the problem (they correctly mounted back up again in a test). If there is some other issue, then let us know. 

Yes its missing the waypoint because you wanted it trimmed.

I pointed this out in the other post that provided the reduced, targeted, scenario.

Where I said:

"Some of the conditional routes may no longer work because I've deleted a bunch of units waypoints, regions, etc."

Edited by Gibsonm

I've worked around it and moved on.

What seems to work:

1. Only one BP per unit (in the picture above 4D and 2D used the same BP).

2. Brought the BP for the Mech well back (150m or so from the crest), gave them "Stay" and ensured the focus point was not filled in.

Thankfully I didn't need to resort to the damage engine / repair engine if ... combination to get them to actually not move.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators
On 1/23/2023 at 3:34 PM, Gibsonm said:

Yes its missing the waypoint because you wanted it trimmed.

I pointed this out in the other post that provided the reduced, targeted, scenario.

Where I said:

"Some of the conditional routes may no longer work because I've deleted a bunch of units waypoints, regions, etc."

Yes but trimming it down broke the condition causing the unit to not mount again (which I thought was the original complaint in the first place), so when I looked at it I was thinking quite literally.

OK, can you estimate (as accurately as possible, ideally using the measurement tool) how far away the PCs are from the troops after they move forward (ie. how far do the PCs move from the troops in that image)?

3 minutes ago, Volcano said:

Yes but trimming it down broke the condition causing the unit to not mount again (which I thought was the original complaint in the first place), so when I looked at it I was thinking quite literally.

OK, can you estimate (as accurately as possible, ideally using the measurement tool) how far away the PCs are from the troops after they move forward (ie. how far do the PCs move from the troops in that image)?

I'll see if I can find an earlier version from back on Monday.

• Moderators
  • Solution

Actually, I figured it out.

Looking at the image, and measuring myself in that test scenario, the distance is about 210m. 

This is actually a feature - the distance a vehicle is allowed to pick up troops from a waypoint is 200m, so its just barely on the edge of this threshold.  The solution (here) would be to move waypoint 201 forward to the top of the hill, or move it backwards about 50 to 100m on the back side of the hill. I know this is probably annoying, and we can increase this distance to 250m, but there has to be some kind of limit, and the distance cannot be so far way that an AI unit moves far out of the way to pick up troops (so the idea being, if they are so out of position then the AI will just leave them there instead).

I will spare all the other rationale behind it, but it is intentional behavior, it's just that the waypoint's location and enemy presence put the vehicles just barely out of range of that radius to go back and pick up the troops, and so they leave them behind. Still, I'd say its probably safe (in and update) if we increase this radius to 250m to catch this case though, so I will suggest that change. In the mean time, knowing that, you can hopefully easily adjust the situation easily to work around it.

1 minute ago, Volcano said:

This is actually a feature - the distance a vehicle is allowed to pick up troops from a waypoint is 200m, so its just on the edge of this.

That's fine and all I was after (as per the first line of this post).

Now that I know, if the vehicles wander further than 200m, due to a crest or some other terrain feature, I know where to look.