4.363 Unit ownership - "Player if ..."

Gibsonm

I have a large scenario that to date has been running OK (some glitches to resolve).

Until recently all the units have been player owned.

I have yesterday started to make the ownership of some units "Player if ..." in order to break it down into bite sized pieces, so the player can play just part if they want and the rest will run on scripts.

These "Player if ..." statements are Trigger based.

e.g. A Trigger is "Player controls Combat Team X"

If that Trigger is selected then the elements of Combat Team X are controlled by the player, while the others are scripted (AI controlled).

Most units have at most three Triggers (Player controls everything, Player controls Cbt Team X, Player controls Y Platoon within Cbt Team X) with "OR" conditions.

The issue is that now, even if I select "Player controls everything" scripting that worked fine previously is now going off the rails.

• Units not moving forward from battle positions, even if the "embark if ..." statement is satisfied.
  • Units moving forward (or back) off routes (there is no square displayed showing the formation, etc.) so the subsequent routes are not used.

I'm assuming this ownership choice should make no difference, esp. if I select "all" but just seeking confirmation that this is not a known issue, before I audit all 1500+ waypoints to try and find out what has gone wrong.

Edited by Gibsonm

Initial update:

I've asked someone else to run this as a "tester".

That person is running it as an "Offline Session" to confirm a player's experience (No Mission Editor, No accelerated time, Not a Network Session as a Host).

Their outcomes to date:

1st run:

Control Everything - Cbt Team X stops part way.

2nd run:

Selected another Cbt Team (i.e. Cbt Team X scripted) -- Cbt Team X works as planned.

• Moderators

In almost every case, the best thing to do is try to simplify the logic behind the condition. If the logic is based on too many variables, then its difficult to guarantee the outcome. I am speaking from a very general sense here, in scenario design, that usually every logical condition can be simplified by approach it from another way (such as, rather than units arriving at exact waypoints, use a transparent box as a region it enters, instead).

13 minutes ago, Volcano said:

In almost every case, the best thing to do is try to simplify the logic behind the condition. If the logic is based on too many variables, then its difficult to guarantee the outcome. I am speaking from a very general sense here, in scenario design, that usually every logical condition can be simplified by approach it from another way (such as, rather than units arriving at exact waypoints, use a transparent box as a region it enters, instead).

Agreed but I think its pretty simple already.

There is a choice of three Triggers:

Platoon X is player controlled if the player chooses:

a. Trigger 1 - Control all units (which includes Platoon X), or

b. Trigger 2 - Control Cbt Team Y (which includes Platoon X), or

c. Trigger 3 - Control Platoon X only

More detail to follow separately.

• 1 month later...