Graphics anomaly?

cata

• Moderators

Assuming that:

a) It is seen in the Map Editor.

b) It is purely visual, not actual terrain issues.

...then it might be when you are in the Map Editor, flying around in 3D, and you fly too far away from the loaded/streamed area. If that is what is is, then going back to the map and reloading the 3D view in that location should fix it.

21 hours ago, Volcano said:

flying around in 3D, and you fly too far away from the loaded/streamed area. If that is what is is, then going back to the map and reloading the 3D view in that location should fix it.

Yeah it is probably this,

I've seen it in the mission editor too

The flying tree is a new one though.

It happens in mission editor and running a test scenario. I'm going to uninstall reinstall and see if that helps. I have noticed load timings are crazy. using the Ukraine maps is close to impossible with 15 min load times and CTD.  I recently downloaded the Ukraine maps, not sure if they are anything to do with the overall performance issues. 

5 minutes ago, cata said:

It happens in mission editor and running a test scenario. I'm going to uninstall reinstall and see if that helps. I have noticed load timings are crazy. using the Ukraine maps is close to impossible with 15 min load times and CTD.  I recently downloaded the Ukraine maps, not sure if they are anything to do with the overall performance issues. 

Well they are pretty big.

Having downloaded them to your machine shouldn't impact performance as they only "matter" if you are trying to load them.

Without trying to get bogged down in specs, is your machine "reasonable" in terms of RAM, graphics card, etc.?

reinstalled, but now i have another issue; on startup it cannot locate the map folder so i have to figure that out first.  Yes, i suspect the Ukraine maps are out of my league. its a laptop; 16GB of ram, 2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, Intel Iris Plus Graphics. up until recently its being running SB fine, including some large scenarios. 

The Map issue on startup, i know i've been here before...i just cannot remember what it was...🤔

• Members

If you know the path of the map installation (if in doubt, find it first with the Windows File Explorer), open the Main Menu, Options, File Paths, and there enter the path where they are. Steel Beasts may not let you change it. This would happen if the three essential maps - "default", "gunnery range", and "tutorials" - are not in that folder (Steel Beasts checks for their presence before allowing you to change the path). You would have to copy them from the place of the current file path to the new location. Also, the latest Steel Beasts versions install a handful of map packages as a part of the Steel Beasts installer. They also may have ended up in the current file path, and should be moved over.

Start times of scenarios and maps are where Steel Beasts benefits most from processors with many, and fast cores. A 2GHz CPU will need twice as much time loading a scenario or a map than a same generation CPU with 4GHz clock speed. A 16 core CPU will load a map eight times faster than a CPU with two cores withe the same clock speed, of the same generation. And each processor generation adds, roughly speaking, 10% performance. So, a scenario that loads in 30 seconds on a 4.5GHz 16-core Ryzen 7 will, on a 2014 Celeron CPU with 2 GHz, take a whopping 15 minutes. The actual frame rate while running won't differ as dramatically, but a lot of computing power is currently spent on navmesh building to help AI-controlled units to behave more intelligently.

It turns out a reinstall did work. Timings on the startup went from 4.26min to 0.6sec damn! Also not seeing any of the graphic issues anymore.  Reloaded Ukraine maps. Map loading times down from 15.1min to 11.2min. 

The map folder thing was, of cause, a simple thing, install maps first, then SB 🙄