map pkg ques

mpow66m
Go to solution Solved by Ssnake,

• Members

It doesn't show the path?

OK ... open the Windows File Explorer. Search your computer for *.HNT files. They would be in subdirectories of the map package root folder.

You may then want to right-click that root folder, open the Properties, then the Security tab. Here you could then take ownership of the folder, thus changing the permissions.

If you're unsure what you're doing there, take the time to read up about user accounts and access privileges in general in the Windows operating system.

• Members

It's the Windows Operating System and Microsoft's design guidelines for multi-user environments that make the default folder (%PROGRAMDATA%) hidden.This isn't our decision.

And an installer that changes such system settings would be a terrible, terrible idea, and probably get us on a blacklist with any professional system admin.

29 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

It's the Windows Ooerating System and Microsoft's design guidelines for multi-user environments that make the default folder (%PROGRAMDATA%) hidden.This isn't our decision.

And an installer that changes such system settings would be a terrible, terrible idea, and probably get us on a blacklist with any professional system admin.

Then move the data to the program folder or another folder of your making and make an entry in the reg database i have never in all my time as a CRM and ERP server installer used that as an excuse (I worked for Microsoft) since this is a client install which run on your local client so you need a quick way of distributing it since you removed it from the client installation that coordinate the other clients but since this is not a real Client server installation where data resides only on the server its a client program where people need to install it frequently and since its been done overly complicated since it issent the server that distribute it.
Then please make it easy for us as a lot of your users lack the skills to do it , and if your "professional " system admins need it then keep that in the Pro version because there the useres prolly aren't installing the maps themselves like we have to do in the Pro pe.

Or go back to the old way of distributing things cause we aren't getting new "big maps" anyway which was the reason for changing it.

And Snake i am not being an ass here it really is a big problem anytime we have a scen/Map that issent in our big map pack then we have multiple people that cant get it to work.

MD 

• Members
30 minutes ago, Major duck said:

Then move the data to the program folder or another folder of your making and make an entry in the reg database

That's precisely what we're doing, as long as the user actually selects a different path, which he can, during the installation process, where he's prompted to confirm, or change it. At some point we must acknowledge that people bear some responsibility for their own computer and operating system.

I absolutely hate programs that think they know better what's good for me, but I'm ready to own my mistakes too. Two faces of the same coin.

• Members

The biggest trouble comes, I think, not from the fact that the default parent folder is hidden. You can still get there by simply typing %PROGRAMDATA% into the Windows File Explorer address bar. It comes from the fact that because we wanted to make it foolproof (which is a fool's errand to begin with), Steel Beasts will not accept the new location unless the three most basic map packages are to be found in the new location - the "blank" map, the map for all the tutorials, and the map for Instant Action and the gunnery range. These need to be copied over before Steel Beasts will accept the change.

On the other hand, if you move the whole folder tree containing every map package to a new location, well, Steel Beasts will ask you the first time it starts after that move where all the maps have gone, and you need to enter the new file path or else you can't do anything in SB Pro. In theory this should be watertight. In practice, it challenges the universe to build a better fool that somehow still can mess it up.

Now, maybe Steel Beasts should have a function to initiate a folder move within Steel Beasts itself, that the user simply sets a new directory and then Steel Beasts pushes all the files around. But what, if the user is a student on a classroom machine? Should he be allowed to do this? Should the ability of the user to perform such file operations be tied to a Steel Beasts user account, or to the Windows user account in which context Steel Beasts is executed?

It's all nice and well if we're talking about the case where a user owns the very computer on which he personally installed Steel Beasts. It rapidly falls apart when you think of Steel Beasts as an organization's training tool where other people are tasked with administrating the IT infrastructure, and professional application management.