Spotting the Enemy with UAV's/Drones

SSG LESTER
Go to solution Solved by Mirzayev,

Hello all,

I have been using the UAV's with my scout infantry team and it all works really well.  But the UAV's doesn't seem to spot the enemy as for them to show up on the maps, and the enemy does not seem to be able to see the UAV either even though I can still attack them depending on which UAV is in use.  I do have it set to a human operator (me) and the only time they have spotted me is if my actual scout team or vehicle has been spotted by the enemy then they will fire at the UAV.

Am I missing something or is this still being implemented?

• Solution
1 hour ago, SSG LESTER said:

Hello all,

I have been using the UAV's with my scout infantry team and it all works really well.  But the UAV's doesn't seem to spot the enemy as for them to show up on the maps, and the enemy does not seem to be able to see the UAV either even though I can still attack them depending on which UAV is in use.  I do have it set to a human operator (me) and the only time they have spotted me is if my actual scout team or vehicle has been spotted by the enemy then they will fire at the UAV.

Am I missing something or is this still being implemented?

The idea of requiring a human spotter is so a single UAV can't fly over the map and spot everything based on the currently implemented AI's spotting mechanics. This is intentional. You will not have enemy icons populate on the map when using a UAV. 

• Members

Well, the Sprite Scout robots will reconnoiter a region automatically and report sightings. But these are special drones with built-in image recognition. For regular reconnaissance UAVs a human operator is required - which, admittedly, makes them less useful if you're playing Steel Beasts solo. They work best with a dedicated operator in a network session, supporting the rest of the team with observation.

• 1 month later...

while it makes sense that generally the drones are intended for human operators, it is a one sided advantage for solitaire play that i would love to explore for computer parties against the player along with comouter operated mortars and on board MLRS units - notwithstanding all the usual caveats. 

furthernore- if im not mistaken the UAV camcopter is identified incorrectly in the documentation somewhere as a quadcopter- no functional difference, but i remember having trouble initially looking for the quadcopter when i initially learned how to add and use drones in SB before the realization occured