4.377 Performance Issues

Apocalypse 31
Go to solution Solved by mrivers,

Getting bad stuttering and significant drops in FPS when I zoom in/out, or transition to binoculars, or just use the zoom in key.

For example, using a drone and toggling magnification takes about 2 seconds each time I toggle in or out of zoom.

Using the Swingblade. 2 second freezes when I toggle magnification or switch between day and thermal sights

My internet is down but I will post a video at some point when it comes up.

Edited by Apocalypse 31

4 hours ago, TankHunter said:

Is this with or without replacing .fxo files from 4.377 with the 4.363 ones?

If its without, can you provide details on your computer, hardware, what OS you are using, graphic card drivers, etc?

Not modded.

I have a video. Just waiting for the home Internet to go back up and I'll post it along with system specs 

HD still buffering, but you can see the fps dips

Windows 10

Intel® Core™ i7-11700KF Processor (8X 3.60GHz/16MB L3 Cache)

16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance-LPX

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 - 12GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)

MSI Z590 PRO WIFI (CEC), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 3 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)

test.sce

Playing in Windowed mode

Terrain distance seems funky and I don't remember setting maxes. I wonder if I picked this up in an MP game. Even so, there is nothing graphically stunning that should cause some of the freezes, even with settings maxxed

image.png.cccc5435567906c75bdd8f8352bd39ca.png

default settings

image.png.bd2e13c3dca7e7a3f33be6f64ec8a759.png

Edited by Apocalypse 31

• Members

Particularly ground cover at 100% is problematic, depending on the terrain theme and graphics hardware, and can therefore result in variable performance from one spot in the terrain to another, depending on the size and density of the ground clutter objects in the theme.

The dynamic cache size should be kept as high as your patience for the initial scenario loading time allows (assuming that you have two or more gigabytes of video RAM)

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Playing in Windowed mode

Terrain distance seems funky and I don't remember setting maxes. I wonder if I picked this up in an MP game. Even so, there is nothing graphically stunning that should cause some of the freezes, even with settings maxxed

Correct; IIRC when joining a Network Session, all CLIENTs will adopt the HOST settings.

Also what is important is that you raise the bottom slider (Dynamic Cache Size) to at least 50, but ideally 100 -- most everyone should be able to handle 100.  IIRC, this is the cache size for streaming the terrain, so the higher the better which means less intermittent loading which may cause stuttering (it probably doesn't help).

I've just last night experienced the same issue. I played two scenarios, the first went without a problem. On the second however, everytime I switched the position, (from gunner to TC, from inside to outside, from one vehicle to another, or from one sight to the next) I had a brief two seconds with FPS below 10. After that time it normalised and (when staying in that position or gun sight) it would run smoothly again.
I use mostly the standard graphic settings with some things turned down.

• Members
6 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I've reduced it back to default and it's fine, but odd because it's not been an issue before 

The actual performance, like I wrote, will depend on the terrain theme, and the spot on the map and your viewing direction. "Before" may have been in places where ther number of to be rendered ground clutter billboards was close to, buit still under the limit of what your graphics card could handle. Except, this time it wasn't, and the framerate went down and you noticed it. Or this time, the ground clutter objects were tall, resulting in a massive overdraw situation as an extra load on a hardware that was already at the upper limit of what it could handle.

These are two possible explanations. There isn't enough information to know whether thone of them or both are the explanation, or if there's something else at play. Nevertheless, the 100% slider setting routinely overtaxed beefy hardware in the past. Seems like beefy hardware of the present can almost handle it. By the time that substantially more powerful graphics cards are out, hopefully we can give a roadmap to V5, rendering the whole issue moot (because then we'll have a different engine, with different characteristics).

• Members
On 3/4/2023 at 10:02 AM, TankHunter said:

Is this with or without replacing .fxo files from 4.377 with the 4.363 ones?

Please don't do this.  At least one of the shaders in 4.377 has new functionality and replacing it with an old version could be problematic.  The recent shader changes should not impact frame rates anyhow.

2 hours ago, Raven434th said:

which shader has the new functionality?

To quote a famous mathematician "you are so preoccupied with whether or not you could, that you didn't stop to think whether or not you should." The important take away here is that changing the fxo files is likely to break something in an unforeseen way. If you have problems with your install afterwards we won't know if it's a bug or an issue caused by said modifications and as a result we probably can't and won't be able to help you fix it. Thus, my original question.

Edited by TankHunter

• Moderators

Calm down everyone. Officially let's just say that if you modify the core files (ie. things outside of the mods folder), then you will get unintended consequences. I guess that was the point that others are trying to make here.

It's not an attack on anyone, no need to get defensive Badger, it's a factual statement.  As long as you accept that there might be consequences, then that is fine, do what you want.

But with a little bit of patience, there will be a patch soon (hopefully this week) as other things are worked out as well (it isn't all about focus, and thermal sky color believe it or not - although fixing the focus is the worst offender, and it's done already). And we got a stuttering fix out of this forum post, so thanks to Apocalypse for bringing that up.

Nothing else needs to be said here, though.