Give new ideas for youth work scenarios

MTLB-CMDR_Finn

So, I run youth work programs in finnish municipality and one program we have is simulators, namely Steel Beasts. I need more ideas for scenarios, as I run risk of repeating my own situations. I would be thankful if you lot could suggest new scenario types, enemy composition, some things to spice things up etc. 

These scenarios should be 30mins to 90 minutes long, be somewhat easy (as I am a trained tank commander, but the youths are not) and give lot of options how to accomplish them. They should be centered on Finland or Scandinavia and use Finnish equipment. I have teached them to use Leo 2A6s, T-72B3s and BMP-2s. These scenarios should use half platoon or whole platoon. They would need to be survivable, as it sucks to die in the beginning of a mission and watch back when your friends have a fun time. So no hunter killer ATGM-teams or T-90 platoon ambushes.

In former scenarios I have used a lot of tecnicals, BMP-1s without AT-3s, BTRs and T-72M1s, as they are easy to beat in Leo2A6s, but still pose a threat. Missions differ from counterattacks to capturing POIs, like bridges or towns. 

But if you can give me new ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

And to add more information, the youths know basic tank tactics (Covering when crossing plains, staying hull down when fighting, using firing position and spotting position etc) and basic formations, but cant yet utilize them in effective manner in battlefield, so that cant be cental theme in scenario. 

• Members

Reconnaissance:

Is a certain route safe to travel for the main body of a formation?

Are bridges suitable for the heaviest units in a formation to cross?

Is the enemy strong, or weak in a certain region?

Identify the enemy's main line of resistance.

Identify the enemy's identity (tank-heavy, or machanized, or armored).

Find a site suitable for fording.

Find locations suitable for resupply points.

Locate the enemy HQ.

Locate an enemy supply dump.

Each of these mission ideas will also serve as talking points

- about bridge assessment,

- what makes the ideal supply point location,

- enemy force compositions,

- doctrinal use of obstacles, etc.

Add quadcopters or loitering munitions for reconnaissance purposes, and you have something relatable for the young, tech-affine drone enthusiast.

Mix in multiple neutral parties, or make the enemy neutral altogether until a certain condition is met (enemy, if...), to make it more challenging to distinguish between pick-up truck driving civilians and Technical-driving enemy wearing civilian clothes.

Hi and thanks for answer Ssnake! Recon is certanly something that I havent used a lot, so it will be something that I will be integrating more for future scenarios. Perhaps using correct radio protocols to send recon and contact reports and using correct formations and reaction when encountering small enemy chekpoints, superior force or ambushes. I have put ambulances in the enemy towns to teach identifying target before destroying them, but civilian pickups are nice addition. This has given me more ideas, thank you.

Where could I have signed up to play Steelbeasts in Finland when I was unemployed after finishing school? Nobody told me about this. 😅

Ei ole mitään lisättävää mutta jatka vaan tekemistä. Varmaan uppoaa hyvin nykyää tällane.

• Members
On 3/7/2023 at 2:05 PM, Ssnake said:

Reconnaissance:

A few caveats, to prevent you from frustration trying to work around issues that are impossible for you to resolve:

Infiltration

Can't be done. There's only the question whether enemy will detect you or not; once detected, you're immediately identified too. This between hostile parties; you can fake it by infiltrating through a not-yet hostile party's area of operations ... but then you can sail through without investing any effort at remaining unseen.

You also can put hostile units on "return fire only" for the initial passage of hostile frontline, or putting them on restrictive/short range "open fire, if" conditions. But that doesn't prevent detection and identification, just the typical consequences of it.

Neutrals

do not perform any kind of line-of-sight checks/observation on each other.

• Members
On 3/7/2023 at 2:05 PM, Ssnake said:

Reconnaissance:

- Reconnoiter the extent/dimensions of obstacles

(break up large minefields into small patches, create gaps between them (or overlaps), mix real minefields with decoy mine areas)

- Provide fire support/overwatch for dismounted infantry performing a breach through a mine obstacle, or perform a feint attack to divert the enemy defenders' attention from the dismounted engineers

13 hours ago, MTLB-CMDR_Finn said:

Well not as unemployed but just regular high school teenager. Our municipality youth work got 6 hi-end computers and I started simulator "club" with them, using DCS and Steel Beasts. It is popular, and I get payed to play Steel Beasts. 

Living the life. Did you even get controllers for DCS? 😅

On 3/12/2023 at 1:04 AM, Ssnake said:

- Reconnoiter the extent/dimensions of obstacles

(break up large minefields into small patches, create gaps between them (or overlaps), mix real minefields with decoy mine areas)

- Provide fire support/overwatch for dismounted infantry performing a breach through a mine obstacle, or perform a feint attack to divert the enemy defenders' attention from the dismounted engineers

Thank for these additions.