Abrams will not go faster than 11kph when manually driving

Assassin 7
Go to solution Solved by Volcano,

When Driving the Abrams I cannot get it to go no faster than 11kph unless im doing something wrong such as there is another gear to manually shift to. I checked the controls option and the Automatic Transmission Box is checked.

Gearing suppose to be:

L:1st Gear, 2nd Gear

D:2nd, 3rd and 4th Gear

R: R1 and R2 Gear

N:Netural Steer

Pull out and down shifter: Pivot Steer

Edited by Assassin 7

• Moderators

Yes, if I am not mistaken, you have found a setting that should not be present in Pro PE. 

In the mean time, do not turn the "Automatic transmission" check box "on" (it's off by default), because it will activate manual driving behavior that is only defined on certain SB Pro vehicles that have gearing modeled, because they are used for driver trainers (like the Ulan). So the issue here is minimal. 

Edit: Whether the eventual solution is that the setting will be removed from Pro PE, or just won't do anything (ie. be grayed out or inoperative, is currently unknown).

5 minutes ago, Volcano said:

Yes, if I am not mistaken, you have found a setting that should not be present in Pro PE. 

In the mean time, do not turn the "Automatic transmission" check box "on" (it's off by default), because it will activate manual driving behavior that is only defined on certain SB Pro vehicles that have gearing modeled, because they are used for driver trainers (like the Ulan). So the issue here is minimal. 

Ok thanks

• Moderators
  • Solution

So just to follow this up (I was unable to revisit this before now)...

Actually the check box will remain in Pro PE.

It seems the issue is actually that the wording of the checkbox is wrong and totally confusing. When that check box is ON, what it does is, it makes it where the driver must select D, N, R "gear" (forward, stop or reverse). The actual gearing (1st, 2nd, 3rd) is shifted automatically regardless, so its really about drive selection, not so much "automatic transmission" per se. Additionally, when checked on, it splits the throttle from one single axis (+ being forward, - being reverse, 0 being stop) to two separate axis, like a gas pedal and a brake pedal. 

We can see this if someone presses "Configure Axes" (plural) before and after that check box is selected. When its selected there is a new "Brake" axis present. By default, the brake is probably being fully applied, so when driving around its as if the brake pedal is pressed to the floor at the same time (the solution there would be to remap it to a brake pedal peripheral or some other axis).

But certainly the label on that check box must get renamed, and that has been done already to hopefully make it more obvious as to what it does. It seems that it has been like that for several versions now but no one ever tried it out before (apart from the military), so thanks for that. 😎

Heh... Have had so much problems with this one in the past. Never thought to report it here so thanks @Assassin 7 

And yes exactly like @Volcano said. It's brake pedal that has acted up. Also one needs to remember to turn off parking brake. P if i remember correctly from memory. 

Funny thing is that this problem just keeps reoccurring with people whom I multicrew and it  so often takes a while to realize what the problem is. 

Though... Quite often people do figure it out after a while before getting upset. 

• Moderators

Yeah, good that this was pointed out.  It took me quite a long time to wrap my head around what was going on, but hopefully with the new label it makes it more obvious. It will say something like (at least in English):

"Detailed driver (gear select & separate throttle/brake)"

...or something to that effect. As to when it would be carried over into other translations, I am not sure.

If it doesn't work and problem keeps reoccurring... Maybe at some point we could get somekind of notifier of conflicting inputs. 

-> Brake and throttle used same time 

also I'd wish this topic to be renamed more closer to actual problem. And tagged accordingly.  Or just change Abrams to Vehicle  as this is problem about driving. 

20 minutes ago, Lumituisku said:

If it doesn't work and problem keeps reoccurring... Maybe at some point we could get somekind of notifier of conflicting inputs. 

-> Brake and throttle used same time 

also I'd wish this topic to be renamed more closer to actual problem. And tagged accordingly.  Or just change Abrams to Vehicle  as this is problem about driving. 

I only reported this against the Abrams cause I know the Abrams Drive System and how it should act IRL. Now after finding out what the option real purpose and why it is being used then I guess it could be related to others. But I’m sure as they have different Gears and other Drive options than the Abrams or closely related. Either way Esims have identified their use for it and are making the changes. Thanks again 👍

Edited by Assassin 7