Change map area in editor but retain unit positions

Arch

I have a map with the extents from coordinates X 10-20 and Y 10-20 and some units placed down, but I want to shift the coordinates to the range of X 15-25 and Y 15-25, but retain the unit positions exactly where they were on their old coordinates. Is this possible? I often find a need to slightly shift the coordinates of the map but I'm doing it in a really idiotic way currently and end up needing to manually shift the positions of all the units back where they were.

Edited by Arch

• Members

The basic course of action:

In the Mission Editor, go to the Map menu and pick "Replace Map", then pick the same map package, but shift the frame of the selected area accordingly. Two things can happen; the units retain their original place on the map, in which case your job is done. Or they stay in the same place with respect to the Steel Beasts world coordinate system. In that case you'd have to use the marquee tool to mark everything on a party's side (zoom out first), then simply drag and drop the whole selection to the new location.

Things to consider/preparatory steps:

If I understood you correctly, you want to keep everything in the proper location, but shift the map frame a little. I recommend that you create a crosshair-like map graphic, e.g. a target reference point, exactly on a certain map grid. Copy that TRP to all other parties.

Then, if you have to mark everything for the drag & drop action, you just have to focus on that map graphic to move it (and everything else with it) to the previous location; rinse and repeat for the other parties in your scenario.

4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The basic course of action:

In the Mission Editor, go to the Map menu and pick "Replace Map", then pick the same map package, but shift the frame of the selected area accordingly. Two things can happen; the units retain their original place on the map, in which case your job is done. Or they stay in the same place with respect to the Steel Beasts world coordinate system. In that case you'd have to use the marquee tool to mark everything on a party's side (zoom out first), then simply drag and drop the whole selection to the new location.

Things to consider/preparatory steps:

If I understood you correctly, you want to keep everything in the proper location, but shift the map frame a little. I recommend that you create a crosshair-like map graphic, e.g. a target reference point, exactly on a certain map grid. Copy that TRP to all other parties.

Then, if you have to mark everything for the drag & drop action, you just have to focus on that map graphic to move it (and everything else with it) to the previous location; rinse and repeat for the other parties in your scenario.

Oh, so it SHOULD retain the positions? Using "Replace map" basically does not do anything if you pick the current map. "Pick map" allows you to choose coordinates again but does not retain the unit coordinates. Perhaps something to improve?

Thanks, I will keep the TRP method in mind then.

• Members
56 minutes ago, Arch said:

Oh, so it SHOULD retain the positions?

I haven't tried it myself for a long time, so I'm not exactly sure what will happen, but it's one of the two options. And of course, if you can't replace the current map with itself, you can always pick another as an intermediary step, for now.

On 3/15/2023 at 7:27 PM, Arch said:

I have a map with the extents from coordinates X 10-20 and Y 10-20 and some units placed down, but I want to shift the coordinates to the range of X 15-25 and Y 15-25, but retain the unit positions exactly where they were on their old coordinates. Is this possible? I often find a need to slightly shift the coordinates of the map but I'm doing it in a really idiotic way currently and end up needing to manually shift the positions of all the units back where they were.

My method:

1) make an L shaped line graphic with line width zero and a bright color exactly on a grid square edge

2) copy it to all parties

3) select the new map area

4) drag to select all units on blue (including the graphic)

5) zoom in to the graphic and drag it exactly on to the original grid sqaure

6) repeat for each party

7) never make the map area mistake again!