Multiplayer connection problem (multiple devices, ports forwarded on all of them)

bcel

Me and 2 friends cannot connect/host a game. Ports 2300-2400 TCP/UDP and  47624 UDP forwarded, firewalls checked, game versions checked. None of us can neither host nor connect. 
We also have tried Hamachi and ZeroTier, none working.
image.png.06c6979b744d4b7aa6fd4f54f0dac4cc.png

image.png.b35272ebb83940a1215d8b75d8e09744.png

We also tried pinging ports 2300 through zerotier which pinged the machine, but not the port. (firewall is still supposed to be off)

Edited by bcel

I don't see anywhere in the first screenshot an IP address for the traffic go to?

It may be cropped from the screenshot, but the rule needs something to say the traffic will be forwarded to XXX.XXX.XXX.86.

Also have you set XXX.XXX.XXX.86 to be a static IP address on your computer?

If you have a dynamic address (provided via DHCP) then if the rule does say forward to XXX.XXX.XXX.86 and you restart the machine and are allocated say XXX.XXX.XXX.100 then the port forwarding wont work because your machine is not at the address you are sending traffic to.

Lastly you might wish to edit the graphic above to obscure the first three sets of numbers, in order to reduce your risk of "someone" doing something malicious to your machine.

Publishing IP addresses (even internal, private ones) can be a risky behaviour.

Thanks for the reply Gibsonm, i have edited the screenshots as per your advice. Ports were forwarded to my PC's static IP adress, which was cropped.
I have not set the external source IP adress, as i understand it is dynamic, controlled by my ISP. I have made sure that on each connection attempt i was giving my actual IP address.

Edited by bcel

2 minutes ago, bcel said:

Thanks for the reply Gibsonm, i have edited the photo as per your advice. Ports were forwarded to my PC's static IP adress, which was cropped.

I'm not sure about the screenshot's layout.

If XXX.XXX.100.5 is where the traffic is going to, then it wont work as you said the PC's IP address was XXX.XXX.XXX.86?

I'm assuming you have:

1. Read the documentation so the right information is in the right place?

2. Asked your ISP / Router manufacturer's support line?

I can give you general advice, but as to the specific requirements of your Modem / Router, they will vary from device to device.

This is how mine is setup and it works perfectly.

ScreenShot2023-03-30at7_38_41AM.thumb.png.5c9db9c4cb86f2c075dc57863006b3d0.png

8 minutes ago, bcel said:

The XXX.XXX.XXX.86 was my friend's PC on a vpn, that we tried to ping while testing anything we could. My PC's static IP is xxx.100.5

Right so have you rung / emailed your ISP / Router manufacturer about this?

Contact them and explain what you want to achieve.

They know the product - I don't.

Its not really an eSim issue, its a hardware configuration issue.

Once you know its setup correctly, then we can eliminate a configuration error as an issue.

Edited by Gibsonm

My point is:
We have tried using methods other than connecting through WAN, such as hamachi and zerotier, to eliminate the issue with forwarding ports, and the issue still stands. Therefore I reckon the problem lies elsewhere.

Edited by bcel

Quick update: external source fields cleared. Didn't work. We have switched to hamachi as the main means of connection and we're still unsuccessfull. Hosting other games (DCS) through hamachi worked correctly.
1.Are there any extra steps to host an SB server through hamachi?
2.Is there any way of direct connection, instead of the built-in server "browser" (the 'looking for games' thing)?

Edited by bcel

• Members

"Looking for Games" basically listens to the local network, and the host would send a broadcast into in when waiting for other players. You'd have to connect by some VPN to make it work, otherwise by entering the host's direct external IP address is sufficient (as long as the necessary ports are not blocked, be it the (Windows/antivirus software) firewall, be it the port forwarding on the host's side/router configuration).

We are connected by a VPN (Hamachi), we ditched connecting through the external address. We have tried searching the whole LAN for games as well as  looking for games on the specific local hamachi IP.

4 hours ago, bcel said:

We are connected by a VPN (Hamachi), we ditched connecting through the external address. We have tried searching the whole LAN for games as well as  looking for games on the specific local hamachi IP.

Does "looking for" mean you can ping each other?

Try to establish basic networking connectivity before trying to host multi player.

You need to establish where (i.e. at what point / layer) the connection falls over.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators

99% of all network problems is because the HOST doesn't have the correct local IP specified when forwarding ports. 

You may have checked this already, but if not, go to command prompt, type in "ipconfig" and see what the "IPv4 Address" is. It will be something like 192.168.X.Y.

I say this, because of the image posted in the first comment.

When forwarding ports, make sure that is set in your Internal Host (in your image) fields. Your last two numbers are .100.5. I seriously doubt this is your local IP address, instead I think it is your actual IP address, which would likely make this the problem (IIRC).

Thanks everyone for trying to help. 
I know Gibsonm advised not to post my local ip adresses, yet for the sake of convenience I have decided to do so.

We have abandoned connecting through WAN for now, because of my ISP being somewhat known for issues with hosting games i.e. we cannot even ping eachother's router's IPs through WAN, let alone ports, as well as eliminating the possible causes with port forwarding.  

We have also tried hosting the game on 3 different PCs with 3 different ISPs. None worked, ofc.
For now we're trying to connect through Hamachi to eliminate possible problems with bypassing NAT, port forwarding, ISP, etc. 

Response to Gibsonm:
"Looking for games" means searching for games in SB > multiplayer > as client > searching for games on port 2400.
Yes, we can ping eachother's IP without ports being specified through hamachi.
However we cannot ping specific ports (with PowerShell Test-NetConnection <hamachi-ip> -p <port>), which might be part of the issue. We tested that with firewalls off on both ends.

Response to Ssnake:
As I mentioned earlier: We can ping eachother's IP through Hamachi, but not specific ports. Firewall being off, at the time of testing.

Response to Volcano: 
.100.5 is my local IP address:
image.png.ddf6445f48d86c0043140cf7165d4b37.png

and it is properly specified in forwarding ports:
image.png.e9f4bbb5fcc27a75404dbe5d2b6810cc.png

As I mentioned earlier, we ditched trying to connect through WAN, so port forwarding is not our issue atm.

On 3/31/2023 at 11:38 PM, Sean said:

It's definitely a network issue.  Did you try clearing the external source port field in your firewall rules?  I've haven't used hamachi in years, but when I did, it worked with pro pe.  

Did you try this?

That is in the lower section of the 2nd screen shot there is a section - "External port number" (just above the "Delete" button)?

Also have you contacted you ISP and or the Router's support lines to confirm how you are supposed to set this up???

Continuing to ask here (where people aren't familiar with your hardware and any ISP limitations {they may not allow this type of traffic]) wont really help as we are all making suggestions without complete information.

Gibsonm, Sean was suggesting clearing the external source port number (which is cleared on the screenshot), not external port number. Forwarding ports without specifying the external port is pointless, and would not work.

Again, we have stopped trying to connect through WAN to eliminate possible issues with port forwarding, therefore we are (unsuccessfully, as of yet) trying to connect through hamachi.

My router is DG8245V, known for issues with port forwarding, which is another reason for us trying to connect through a VPN.

Furthermore, all 3 of us were trying to host the game, ports forwarded or not, through WAN and hamachi, with all tries unsuccessfull.
This led us to wonder if SB is looking for hosted sessions directly, or indirectly through some main SB server somewhere.

Edited by bcel

• Administrators

There is no external server involved with hosting a game.  When the game is set to host, the server listens on port 2300 or 2400 udp for people to join.  The host should be able to run "netstat -an" from the command prompt and see that your pc is listening on one of those ports - 0.0.0.0 means its listening on all available IPs.  The host would need to know the IP that hamachi has assigned it (not the external ip or internal ip, the hamaichi assigned ip), and give that to the other players.  The other players would also have to be connected to hamachi, and input that ip into the ip box in pro pe.  If that is not working, then you have something else blocking, like windows defender firewall or the firewall of some antivirus. 

I do know how hamachi networking has to be used; that I have to give clients the hamachi ip, and that they need to look for games on that specific ip. That does not work. With firewall/Windows Defender off on both ends.

Edited by bcel