Indirect firing / assisted by drone

Lumituisku
Go to solution Solved by Gibsonm,

Just wondering here.. weapon that player can reliably aim has highest trajectory on 1-4 (up to 6) km distance?

(Mortar and missiles excluded) 

We don't have any low recoil guns yet as crew able? Like on BMP-1 / Scorpion? 

I suppose T-72 may actually be good choice here...  Also wondering Challenger 2 with HESH (i already feel at limit of my masochism when mentioning that ) 

Also thinking that the dispersion and effect of wind will start to effect so much... That it will be plain ineffective and near impossible to hit anything firing indirectly. Even if one would have drone spotting and helping to aim. 

And what i am thinking is indirect firing ability guided by drone. 

But i suspect it just wouldn't work or would be so difficult that it wouldn't be worth it.

Atleast it wouldn't work like this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1sDumkxaWU

Still it is something i have tried few times to get work... But so far without luck. And perhaps for good riddance. 

Make sure your scenario has lots of HEP/WP loaded at the beginning.  Realize that the target at that range should be an area target because point targets are going to be hard to differentiate with that sight at that range.  Having a second vehicle to help spot the fall of the shot is a good idea.  The round WILL drift even from shot to shot.  

That's what I am afraid. SB is not like WT where map size is abusmally small (in comparison) and rounds probably  won't have significant dispersion either.  That's why I was actually wondering if we have any other weapons with high trajectory. 

Reqoilles riffle comes to mind... 

Would be interesting although not currently possible to try this with Scorpion, BMP-1, BMP-3, PT-76... Was there any other low recoil guns in the game?  

Though I do remember how horrible inaccurate BMP-1 and Scorpion are... So I suspect the idea of it being useful beyond being area weapon is simply not possible.

And the other thing is..  as i recently read from Finnish Armor magazine that  with indirect fires the most essential thing is effectiveness. One must get enough guns to fire small enough area to achieve "Stopping / destructive) effect.  With just few inaccurate guns.. it has Virtually no effect and it's just waste.  (Abuse of AI that hasn't been scripted to react)

However... I can imagine couple of situations where this could be useful.  Problem is that these situations are so rare and unlikely that to train for such especially alone (with very little possibility for actual effect) is laughable. And change to get say.. full platoon of players able to do this... And not having better things to do with time or ammo.  

Yeaa... 

• Solution
5 hours ago, Lumituisku said:

Just wondering here.. weapon that player can reliably aim has highest trajectory on 1-4 (up to 6) km distance?

(Mortar and missiles excluded) 

We don't have any low recoil guns yet as crew able? Like on BMP-1 / Scorpion?

I'm not sure exactly what you are after - I think it looses a bit in the translation.

However there is a crewable RCL in game, albeit mounted on the back of a technical.

Well to put it short.  I think vehicles in question are  RCL  and DF90     I am definitely going to do lot more testing with these two.   

Also..  on list is T-72m1   and  Challenger 2...  and as follows rest of the MBTs but on those since there is no way to measure elevation  things are complicated.

Uh oh..  CV9040 is on list too!  That actually is a beast, it would just need vehicle to observe its fires.   It can actually fire like 5k indirect fire with HE-T  8 round salvos.  

1 hour ago, Lumituisku said:

Well to put it short.  I think vehicles in question are  RCL  and DF90     I am definitely going to do lot more testing with these two.   

Also..  on list is T-72m1   and  Challenger 2...  and as follows rest of the MBTs but on those since there is no way to measure elevation  things are complicated.

Uh oh..  CV9040 is on list too!  That actually is a beast, it would just need vehicle to observe its fires.   It can actually fire like 5k indirect fire with HE-T  8 round salvos.  

That is why I recommended the M60 because the GAS has a graduated reticle (Chally and Sho't Kal too).

• Members

Centurion/Sho't Kal's retigule is accurate, but atrocious (since it's non-standardized and tailored to imperial units). Leopard 1 GAS reticule is probably better suited, but only out to the max range provided for HESH engagements. The instruments inside for true indirect fire (spirit level on the left for the gun elevation, azimuth rose on the right) are not functional (or at least probably not functional enough).

On 4/14/2023 at 1:40 AM, Ssnake said:

Centurion/Sho't Kal's retigule is accurate, but atrocious (since it's non-standardized and tailored to imperial units). Leopard 1 GAS reticule is probably better suited, but only out to the max range provided for HESH engagements. The instruments inside for true indirect fire (spirit level on the left for the gun elevation, azimuth rose on the right) are not functional (or at least probably not functional enough).

Some testing out to 5 km....how far out are tank rounds "calculated" in the game anyway?

SS_17_52_30.png

SS_17_52_43.png

• Members
45 minutes ago, Grenny said:

Are there chances to change that?

Well, back then the military customer didn't think it was necessary to implement it. Now, I sense slight regret in recent conversations, but the Leopard 1 is no longer in our customers' active service. It'd be hard to find someone who even remembers accurately how it was done.

So, it could be done, "in principle". I'd be interested to have it done. But I don't think it will happen, simply because I also have a lot of other tasks competing for priority.

On 4/14/2023 at 8:50 AM, Hedgehog said:

I believe the Soviets had a drill where if they were under ATGM fire they'd have a Battalion of Tanks just lob HE rounds at the nearest treeline.

It's similar to but not exactly what Lumi describes.

That is their response to any kind of threat, though.

Hi 

most indirect shoots are above 3000m, in order to get the elevation required you cannot in use your graticle pattern or balistic aiming marks. On the real vehicles you would then use equipments like a quadrant fire controllers which allow you to find the true horizontal level of the gun barrell and there after apply measured angles of elevation. This then gives you the ability, after accessing the fall of shot, to apply measured corrections in order to bring accurate fire onto the target.

In this sim we dont have that pysical equipment so true semi indirect or indirect fire is not really possible.

1 hour ago, IrishHussar said:

In this sim we dont have that pysical equipment so true semi indirect or indirect fire is not really possible.

Well, the "turret clock" in the M60 and Leo1 are modelled, but not functional.

Then we need the elevation quadrant. And that in a view option where the player can "see" both and still move gun/turret

could be fun in MP games with one player at the tank and another operating a UAV to spot the impacts

Edited by Grenny

30 minutes ago, Grenny said:

Well, the "turret clock" in the M60 and Leo1 are modelled, but not functional.

Then we need the elevation quadrant. And that in a view option where the player anc "see" both and still move gun/turret

could be fun in MP games with one player at the tank and another operating a UAV to spot the impacts

Exatly!