Map WASSERKUPPE in revision

Abraxas

I currently revise and add the map "Wasserkuppe" (framed red).

Although I first use the UTM map and then fill with Google Map, since the latter is partially disorted!

Here are a first overview and some screenshots. Not the the numerous bridges!

Wasserkuppe 2.JPG

1 SB-map.jpg

2 Neukirchen-Rhina.jpg

3 Ober-Unterstoppel.jpg

4 Rothenkirchen.jpg

5 Steinbach.jpg

6 Dittlofrod.jpg

7 Buchenau.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi together!

For now I have finished revising the map "Wasserkuppe". I based this on the period around 1990. I used the UTM maps of the Bundeswehr and the NVA (GDR), which differ somewhat in the level of detail, as well as Google Earth. Many areas have been added and some have been revised.

This basis map will be available for download under "Wasserkuppe 2".

Installation path: ProgramData > eSim Games  > Steel Beasts > maps > packages

UTM sources (left Bundeswehr; right NVA):UTM-Bw-NVA.thumb.JPG.e2b4c9b40f9f0c44dd65bdf7a60362d1.JPG

Overviews:

Wasserkuppe.thumb.JPG.3abd7c07681bfb3843b229bd60f5eb0e.JPGWasserhuppe2StandOkt2023.thumb.jpg.dffa969acdeee921836c25b0c11e496c.jpg

I hope you like it!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

... and it's going on! I'm now done up to UTM-grid line 30.

Here are an overview and some screens:

1. Overview:

WasserkuppeN.thumb.JPG.64025fa2ff2854dbfe3b4c74327423b6.JPG

0Overview.thumb.jpg.7ffc7a04c71f277294bbca496f3862d9.jpg

2. Screens from North:

Siegwinden:

1Siegwinden.thumb.jpg.90f5136e4570a9431ae6e963841158c9.jpg

Sieglos-Eitra:

2Sieglos-Eitra.thumb.jpg.75236d5595010720f4f7df040d123b6b.jpg

Fischbach:

3Fischbach.thumb.jpg.464a7c60d5299d7193a79d3d74ac0f47.jpg

Erdmannrode:

4Erdmannrode.thumb.jpg.ebf2ca9cae66c7b3e61b1b9d9ba9dc46.jpg

Konrode:

5Konrode.thumb.jpg.50b01cb77344de9ac3fc28ba7f2bf848.jpg

3. from South:

Bodes-Eitra:

6Bodes-Eitra.thumb.jpg.a98fb30969a5315917c96eefaa005478.jpg

Mengers:

7Mengers.thumb.jpg.fa412a54029c5ef329a9fc2c0b264786.jpg

Landershausen:

8Landershausen.thumb.jpg.783ccc0404ffe64af63664451aa0c6f7.jpg

I hope you enjoy it!

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Abraxas said:

This current map is now available as a base map "Wasserkuppe 2-24" in folder Downloads under 4.1+ Map Packages!

Thanks.

My only concern is that I am now acquiring a collection of "Wasserkupppe" maps and since they are uniquely named I suspect that for example a scenario using "Wasserkuppe" or "Wasserkuppe 2" will not automatically use "Wasserkuppe 2-24"?

image.png.20cbeb9a70f785f808f0044218aab274.png

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

As long as areas are being added, at some point I'd simply delete old versions. Where a scenario requires a deleted one, you can replace it with the latest variant, at no loss whatsoever.

It's not a winning stategy when areas are being changed for a specific multiplayer scenario. Some accumulation of redundant maps is probably unavoidable. This might emphasize the need to keep the meta data of every map up to date before publishing.

Regarding this map "Wasserkuppe 2-24", I would have problems with the provision:

- It took me about 10 years to edit the map "Bergen-Soltau-Munster". "Wasserkuppe" would need this at least and I'm 72! Should you and I wait until this map is completely finished?

- My old scenarios work with the old Wasserkuppe map, some new and future ones require a revised map. This is pointed out.

- Is it really a problem to have different maps if they have different names?

9 hours ago, Abraxas said:

Regarding this map "Wasserkuppe 2-24", I would have problems with the provision:

- It took me about 10 years to edit the map "Bergen-Soltau-Munster". "Wasserkuppe" would need this at least and I'm 72! Should you and I wait until this map is completely finished?

- My old scenarios work with the old Wasserkuppe map, some new and future ones require a revised map. This is pointed out.

- Is it really a problem to have different maps if they have different names?

No, I'm happy with multiple maps, esp. if the names are unique.

Now I know to retain the older ones to play with published scenarios that's fine and if I want to create a fresh scenario myself I'll just pick the newest map in the series.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

Date modified 1954 and 1949 seems to set a new record...

Either way, I think the way to resolve it is to first check the map UIDs of both maps and then see which of them is in actual use. We did create an internal tool to analyze which scenarios use which map; not sure at this point if it's included in any of your installations and if it works with the new map packages; I'll have to check with the guys, maybe they also have an idea whether these modification dates indicate some form of data corruption.

33 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Date modified 1954 and 1949 seems to set a new record...

Either way, I think the way to resolve it is to first check the map UIDs of both maps and then see which of them is in actual use. We did create an internal tool to analyze which scenarios use which map; not sure at this point if it's included in any of your installations and if it works with the new map packages; I'll have to check with the guys, maybe they also have an idea whether these modification dates indicate some form of data corruption.

I think you'll find that's the time (almost 8pm).

The date being 18 Jan 20. :)