No Audio

Tankriver658

Last time I played the game 8 months ago on steel beasts 4.2xx, I had no audio at all, I have updated the game to 4.379, and still cannot get any audio whatsoever, I have uninstalled and re-installed, and ensured that there weren't two destination paths etc, by deleting previous versions and files. 

Has anyone come across this issue???

regards

tankdriver

• Members

Most likely, it's not a Steel Beasts issue, though if you have other games and you do hear sound, we can at least rule out a hardware problem. So the question then is if there is anything special in your sound system setup - what sound chip do you use, which driver, do you use a headset or speakers, ...?

• Members

...come to think of it --- if you unplug the headset, can you hear SB Pro through the speakers?

The Windows sound mixer has been updated a while ago and now distinguishes between "headset" and "speaker" as audio output devices, both of which can be active from the Windows/driver point of view. If Steel Beasts is mapped to the speakers, and the speakers automatically go silent when a headset is active (because, hardware is configured differently than what Windows thinks it does), you might not hear anything.

I'm sure, someone somewhere thought that this was a clever way to make Windows more convenient for people with no clue how hardware magic works. Needless to say, it has driven me mad a while ago when trying to troubleshoot certain audio issues that I experienced. I wish there was a way to disable this helicopter parenting from Windows.

• 5 weeks later...

might not work for you, but i have had issue where sound wasnt playing for one app but other apps it was.  all I did was go into sound settings made sure my speakers were the ones selected,  then unselected and selected again, and it worked.    Might not work for you, but worth a try maybe