Experience with Intel ARC GPUs?

Dr.Thodt

I'm using a Nvidia GTX 1070Ti at a 1440p resolution right now and I feel the limits at some point. I want to upgrade my GPU.
I'm not a rich boi¬†ūü§Ď¬†so I had a look at the bottom of the pricelist and I wonder if someone already have an Intel ARC GPU and can tell how it will perform - especially¬†with Steel Beasts. Because SB is (AFAIK) DirectX9 and ARC is known for not natively supporting DX9 but emulating it.
I've read that the drivers got significant better in that way, but well, it's hard to find benchmarks or reports for SB.

The considered GPU is the Intel ARC 770 with 16 GB VRAM.

• Members

I think it's safe to say that Intel made a lot of progress with the ARCs over their previous generations. I haven't yet tested them myself (nor do I know anyone from the development team or QA who has one), so I can't make specific statements. I can say that we will eventually acquire one so we can benchmark SB Pro version 5 on it.

My recommendation would be to hold on to your 1070 for as long as possible, and maybe start saving up for a new card in two or three years. With just five bucks per month that's up to 180.- by summer '26, which should be enough to replace the 1070 with something that's at least three to six times as fast by then.

Generally my advice is to make the decision to replace computer equipment as late as possible, and buy it only when you really need it. That way you'll take advantage of all the technological advancements and the resulting price drops of previous generation electronics. Moore's law may no longer be fully applicable in the narrow sense in which it was once formulated. But it is very much alive when you look at the general (negative) exponential price decay over time for all electronic (entertainment) hardware.

I would be very hesitant banking on a GPU that emulates DX9.  The first issue is possible performance hits.  The second is Intel's commitment to maintain an emulator for an unsupported set of APIs for DX9.  Just look at AMD's support for older OpenGL libraries.  Not to mention Apple.  Both have had significant impacts on the Combat Mission game.

The 1070 is no slouch.  Especially a ti version.  I would not discard a 1070 just for Steel Beasts.  I would consider investing in a new CPU over a GPU.  If you are playing some more graphically intensive games like MSFS or DCS the yeah, the 1070 is getting a little creaky.

8 hours ago, thewood said:

The 1070 is no slouch.  Especially a ti version.  I would not discard a 1070 just for Steel Beasts.  I would consider investing in a new CPU over a GPU.  If you are playing some more graphically intensive games like MSFS or DCS the yeah, the 1070 is getting a little creaky.

Well, I'm fine with the performance of the 1070ti at FHD or small indie games but you will definitively see an impact in 1440p and games like Six Days in Fallujah, Ground Branch or DCS (you name it). I think, i'll just wait a bit and see what's coming - Intel and Nvidia announcet already their new GPU generations. 

• Members

Frankly, I do not expect Intel to achieve more than barely to keep pace, with a small chance of slowly catching up. They have never shown any interest in computer games, barely any in 3D graphics other than "it's necessary because our customers expect it".

If there is no visible support from top management, rarely will the employees muster sufficient drive to do something extraordinary anyway (the Volkswagen Golf being one notable exception to the rule).

That being said, currently our new engine delivers up to 5,000 frames per second. That level will never be achieved again, so please don't read more into this than is actually justified. As we add more and more fancy elements, there's only one way for the framerate, and that's down. Nevertheless, if we could preserve about 200 fps on a then top of the line graphics card in two years, that might still mean 60 or even 90 fps on an Intel ARC. At this point, it's all but speculation. But there's a non-zero, if small chance that the performance on low-end graphics cards may actually turn out to be quite decent.

A stable framerate of 60+ FPS is all I "need". And in terms of Steel Beasts, I'm also happy with currently around 40 FPS on default settings. 
To be fair, I don't think the Intel ARC A770 is a low-end card. It depends on the benchmark, but it competes betweeen the AMD 6700XT up to the Nvidia 3070.