Sound issue or intentional feature?

Skybird03

Windows XP over here, fresh installation of the system some weeks ago without earlier SBP versions ever having been present on this new HD.

Got the disk two days ago, but only today had time to have a first try with it. Played around in a simply test parading the new vehicles, that'S all.

I noticed in the Bushmaster that the firing sound for the MG seems to switch between at least two different soundfiles. Mostly it is the first, high-pitched sound, sometimes it also is a second, which also seem to fire "faster". Jumping to driver's position and then back to TC and MG, gave me back the first file.

A similiar effect in the Leopard 2A5DK. The gun fires rounds with a robust, massive sound - but sometimes it fires with the sound that in earlier versions were indicating that a projectile has hit your tank.

I am not sure what to make of this. I also realise that some of the (German) crew voice communications seem to miss now (like "nicht erkannt", "erkannt" etc.) Have there been any changes? the gunner should give these if T or I are pressed, or not?

• Moderators

Well it sounds like there is indeed a problem on your end -- you should not be hearing what you say you are hearing, but it is hard to know for certain. All of the weapon sounds you describe, are they internal sounds? I mean, are you describining sounds that you hear from the external view or from the inside?

The Audigy 2 is a pretty good sound card so it is not like there should be a problem with it. If you haven't done so already, update the drivers for it (or reinstall them). Do you have anything in your ...\mods\sounds\FX folder?

The Bushmaster issue I hear when crewing the roof MG - sometimes. Most of the time not.

The tank cannon issue I hear when sitting at the gunner'S station, firing - sometimes. It's not happening by a rule. In the test setup I just placed 7 different platoons with the new vehicles, no enemy units.

No mods whatever so far.

The soundcard indeed is very good, not the latest model, but sturdy, it never has failed me and works reliable and solid since years. I'm sure the problem has nothing to do with the sound hardware.

I stress again, these events I describe happen occasionally only, not with any given regularity like "one out of three times".

I have deactivated the indexer service. Could that have something to do with it, or is any of the other MS services vital for finding the correct soundfiles in a given situation? Some of them that I do not need in my pi9rvate setting, or that could be abused for illegal access from outside/the web, I have deactivated, like I always do when reinstalling. However, the old SBP versions worked with these settings, since long.

I install the sim again today. Maybe the installer messed something up.

What about the callouts of the gunner, "erkannt!" / "nicht erkannt"? I quicktested one old mission that comes with the sim, and they are not there when firing on enemy units.

Unfortunately I must report that the symptoms did not dissappear after reinstalling everything.

1.) I did not had another issue with the Leo gun sound, but the Bushmaster definitely occasionally uses two different soundfiles, the one that I would rate as the unintended of the to sounds like firing the coax from inside an MBT. However, after having emptied one magazine, I could not replicate the symptom after having reloaded the MG. I tried that three times (=3 magazines). When restarting the mission and jumping into the Bushmaster, crewing the roof MG and starting to fire, first there is the - assumed - normal sound, and then after some time it gets replaced by the coax sound. From magazine 2 on the new sound seems to be gone.

2.) I also must report a sound problem with the CV9035. I was sitting at the gunner's station, studying the cockpit, when the TC started to tell me to swing left, swing left, swing left, swing left (in German), with me not having done anything, not having pressed a button, and no enemy unit even included in the mission setup (it's just seven platoons with the new vehicles, and that is all, to check them out). I went to TC station - nothing. Went back to gunner: and there the TC talked on and on. I cycled through all seven platoons, and when coming back to the CV9035s, finally the TC was quiet - just to start again one or two minutes later.

3.) I am also unable to make the TC swinging the turret towards a target, no matter whether enemy units are included in a mission or not, I can press T and I, I get a written text note at the bottom (Erkannt, nicht erkannt), but no speech confirmation, no turret movement, no TC action whatever. This I tested in two different default missions with the Leo2A5DK, and on high and low realism and on high and low difficulty setting. "T" and "I" seem to be completely broken over here. I will list this in a separate thread, too, but mention it here since it also includes the sound problem.

4.) Also, even when fully loaded, I saw the Leopard-2s, when sitting idle and no enemy around, swinging their guns to 5 o'clock position and staying there with elevated gun tubes as if reloading (which they were not), then going back to normal. Again, even when fully loaded and not a single shot fired so far.

None of these are showstoppers, just that the inability to use T and I is annoying.

2.) I also must report a sound problem with the CV9035. I was sitting at the gunner's station, studying the cockpit, when the TC started to tell me to swing left, swing left, swing left, swing left (in German), with me not having done anything, not having pressed a button, and no enemy unit even included in the mission setup (it's just seven platoons with the new vehicles, and that is all, to check them out). I went to TC station - nothing. Went back to gunner: and there the TC talked on and on. I cycled through all seven platoons, and when coming back to the CV9035s, finally the TC was quiet - just to start again one or two minutes later.

This is also a reloading issue - the chambered round leaves some free space in the belt, so while idle the TC is planning to add a final round. He doesn't override in the CV9035, but talks the gunner into traversing to the 9oc position.

Perhaps the AI TC should be a little bit more tolerant of a single missing round in the belt or ready rack, unless this is a very large proportion of the available rounds?

3.) I am also unable to make the TC swinging the turret towards a target, no matter whether enemy units are included in a mission or not, I can press T and I, I get a written text note at the bottom (Erkannt, nicht erkannt), but no speech confirmation, no turret movement, no TC action whatever. This I tested in two different default missions with the Leo2A5DK, and on high and low realism and on high and low difficulty setting. "T" and "I" seem to be completely broken over here. I will list this in a separate thread, too, but mention it here since it also includes the sound problem.

None of these are showstoppers, just that the inability to use T and I is annoying.

Running the Leo2A5DK tutorial E 'Working with crew' - I get a text confirmation of the identify/cannot identify, but agree that there is no sound currently associated. If the target is outside the FOV, then the TC will traverse as appropriate to point the gun to the new target... he is less precise than in previous versions though, and will not lay the tube directly onto the target from the slew. He isn't very active if the target is within the sight FOV, and may not do anything very noticeable if you should be able to see the target.

Did you uninstall 2.370 before installing 2.460? I mean, you didn't just install it over the top of it? I just want to be sure.

Again, I have a completely new system installation with a new HD since some weeks. Since I knew that 2.460 was coming, I did not install any old SBP version.This HD has never seen any earlier SBP version, and is almost brandnew. Not even library files with mods for the old SBP are on the HD - I had copied them to DVD. This 2.460 installation is the first SBP stuff ever to bless this new HD.

Lieste,

I'll check both your replies with regard to the TC overriding, and the CV9035 reloading. But so far the TC in the Leopards over here NEVER has moved anything, no matter the circumstances. I try different missions now.

Specifically try that tutorial - it was working for me there.

the Leopard gunnery tutorial works fine, as you describe. but I struggle to make it work that way in a regular mission, like I am used to use T and I since three years.

The CV9035 issue seem to be like you said, too, although I cannot make it reload by itself at the beginning of the mission, with regard to that "empty chmaber" thing. However, when I emptied the whole magazine and needed to reload, the TC orderd me (the gunner) to move the turret into a position like you said, once I pressed the "reload" button. I may wonder until christmas why it happened all by itself in my first expoerience with it, as I dewscribed i did do nothing and not a single shot was fired, not to mention that I did not order to reload. but as long as it remains like it is now, the issue can be considered as solved/explained.

Same regarding the bushmaster. The two-soundfile-symptom cannot reliably reproduced - in the last session I tried 10 minutes firing like crazy, and nothing happened. as long as it only is an occasional sound mismatch like described, it is nothing serious.

With the T-and-I commands, I need to try again tomorrow. Tutorial is fine, without sounds, though, but in missions with enemies something goes wrong here.

Or my rig just has a bad day, who knows. I remember to have had occasional minor Windows problems, which solved themselves after another couple of days.