The invincible T-72

Vacquero

• Moderators

AT-4 will probably not kill the new and imporved T-72 unless you hit it square in the flank or turret side and turret rear *in an area not covered by storage boxes since the boxes do provide some HEAT protection*. You cannot kill it by shooting it in the engine alone anymore, unless you have something powerful enough to pass through the engine and into the crew compartment. You did however kill the engine I am sure.

Milan should get a kill on it, but it is not likely to occur from the turret front or hull rear but we have no AAR screen shots from you. Other than that, you cannot expect RPGs to always kill tanks anymore like they did before, they will mostly have disabling effects but it all depends on point of impact. If you want to kill a tank then you will have to utilize an ATGM (as mentioned, the Milan 2 should certainly suffice in the flank). You certainly will not kill it with the ASLAV-25 either, if that is what you are shooting it with.

• Moderators

I just ran an AT-4 test and I don't see a problem. Kills are calculated on the crew comparment of the vehicle now so a shot on rear hull with AT-4 (RPG) will only kill the engine. Hitting it in the side kills it nicely as long as it does not hit the side sponson fuel tanks (which provide good protection).

However, there was a mistake noticed that will be fixed where the T-72 is supposed to have its turret drive (hydraulics) disabled if the engine is disabled, which will of course make it more crippling on the tank if it loses its engine. So that part should be good for RPG hits to rear hull.

Edited by Volcano
clarification

Ok cool. I was noticing that flank shots were working a lot better than rear. The shot with the Milan, was from a Marder at about 800 meters, it wasn't nice to the T-72 but it still lived afterwards. I'll try it again and get a pic of it.

• Moderators

Ok, yeah, the the Milan 2 will not kill it when hit there -- there is just too much substance for it to pass through before the crew area. Try giving the Marder something more powerful. Other than that, engine kill on that vehicle should be more severe in the future, and "Light damage" is a bit misleading since it says that for engine disablement (which is another thing on the list to improve).

I was doing some missile testing earlier as well against T-72s, although on the front quarter. The only kills the Milan got on the front was if it hit right in the middle of the glacis. The 2T, though, has a much improved penetration rating, and had no trouble doing the job.

I also ran the test against the Pizarro. It's pretty resilient - I had a Blue Pizarro working over a Red one. The infantry team lobbed I don't know how many M73A3s at it - from shots against the front and rear, it reduced it to a useless scrap but no full kills. Only the flanks were vulnerable enough for a full kill.

• Members

The T-72's frontal protection is relatively good due to the fuel cells left and right of the driver. The M1 uses the same principle. Previous T-72 models did not have suitable component boxes under the glacis (and frankly, I didn't know about these fuel cells either).

IOW, the Milan does penetrate the surface but fails to create a high likelihood for all kinds of component damages which would then sum up to a kill.

Having said that, maybe we need to tone the protection down a bit. The Milan should have a decent chance to kill a T-72.

yes, rear hull is definitely too well protected.

direct hit with an M830 HEAT round does nothing at all.

there's going to be a hotfix out soon which adjusts this so there is a non-penetrating damage of the engine, of about 23mm as well as increasing the damage likelyhood of the engine. this should make most HEAT rounds effective against it again,

as it will also have turret drive damage, basically crippling the tank.

oh btw, seems like it was shipped with the older woodland texture for the T-72.

here's the newer one: http://www.dejawolf.com/steelbeasts/T-72M1.rar