Night Lights

MajorMagee

It looks like the last thing that needs cleaning up is the interior lighting of the playable vehicles at night. I've poked around the internet, and my reference books, but it's not a subject that get's any coverage. Can a few of you Tread-Heads with recent experience help me out as to what's used for the various types?

Depending on the veh. and what systems you want illuminated, the use of night lights or low level lighting is different in each veh.

for the AVGP cougar we had red/white lamps in the turret in 3 spots as well as on the inside of the hull plus some of the gunnery systems had adjustable light intensidy.

In some cases some of those red lamps were either blue or in one case many years ago one of the lamps was green (maint most likely could not find a red bulb)

For the G-Wagon we have adjustable red lights on flex necks in 3 locations for the crew.

As far as the Bradley, my not so recent recollection is that the dome lights were white or blue filtered. There were two 'gun lights' in the turret that were small lamps on movable mounts that had red filters and were used for working on the gun. The turret instruments - ammo selection box, TOW and fault indicator boxes, range dial, turret position indicators, etc, were backlit generally with faint yellow or red depending on instrument.

• Members

I addition to red, there's also a white light lamp (you don't use it, though!), and all the vision blocks would normally be covered with rubbered cloth which isn't shown in our 3D interiors because the flaps are on the rear side, stuck by velco straps.

Found some interesting info.

Dark Adaptation. No dark adaptation period is necessary for effective viewing through NVGs. In fact, viewing through goggles for a short period of time lessens the normal dark adaptation period. After using NVGs, it takes about 2 minutes to reach the 30-minute dark adaptation level.

If you need the fastest dark adaptation recovery and can adjust to the limitations, or everyone in your group is using night vision equipment then blue-green (507nm).

If you must see detail (reading a star chart, or instrument settings) and can lose peripheral vision (see note 1), then a very long wavelength red (650-700nm) at a very low level. Red really only has an advantage at very low levels (were the night blind spot is very obvious).

A general walking around light so that you don't trip over the tripod, knock over equipment or bump into people, then blue-green (507nm) with enough red (566nm) added to get rid of the night blind spot, or maybe just use white. Blue-green at higher brightness also works very well and at a lower intensity than white.

If you need to see color and detail then likely the best choice is the dimmest white light for the shortest amount of time.

Second generation devices are sensitive to all visible light as well as light in the near infrared spectrum. All flashlights, even those with blue-green filters, will be seen by second generation devices and may make it harder to see other objects in the field of view.

Third generation devices are sensitive to yellow and red visible light as well as light in the near infrared. They have reduced sensitivity to blue or green light. Flashlights with blue-green falters minimally affect the performance of third generation devices.

Yes, I'm still working on doing the various interior lighting schemes.

Spent some time tonight on the Drivers station trying to simulate NVD Goggles with just tweaks to the DDS alpha mask.

What is the file name of the driver station and where is it located? I couldnt find it when I did a search for it a while ago.