Lasing and T80 vulnerability

Ghost

Anyone else experiencing problems lasing with the Leo 2E? I have really incosistent lasing problems, sometimes it lases sometimes it doesn't i dont know what im doing wrong here.

Also the T-80 dies from CV9035 flankshots, both ammo types from various ranges, no problem killing a T80 from 2000m with HE and SABOT projectiles.

SS_17_28_30.jpg.7e812d738e5bf89143b8de8f

SS_17_28_56.jpg.b8f5d9b4613f95cce5d34065

SS_17_29_16.jpg.d753efb40e1e2fa8eff0650f

SS_17_29_34.jpg.04756bd3037035cf11c4fa2e

SS_17_28_30.jpg.7e812d738e5bf89143b8de8f

SS_17_28_56.jpg.b8f5d9b4613f95cce5d34065

SS_17_29_16.jpg.d753efb40e1e2fa8eff0650f

SS_17_29_34.jpg.04756bd3037035cf11c4fa2e

Anyone else experiencing problems lasing with the Leo 2E? I have really incosistent lasing problems, sometimes it lases sometimes it doesn't i dont know what im doing wrong here.

You have to be in the greatest magnification of day sight. You can't lase in x3; even if in thermal you are in x10 magnification

Thanks for the info froggy, which brings me to a second question, is this a feature or a bug?

If it's a feature than i can only ask why would you build in a stupid thing like that into a FCS of a modern tank... surely sooner or later that thing will get you killed.

Thanks for the info froggy, which brings me to a second question, is this a feature or a bug?

If it's a feature than i can only ask why would you build in a stupid thing like that into a FCS of a modern tank... surely sooner or later that thing will get you killed.

It already have gotten me killed. I learned the hard way by trial and error. I thought that the zoom was "linked", that either thermal or normal would be sufficient. But it seems like I was wrong. I thought it was bugged like hell when I couldn't lase my targets.

Now when I'm gunner in the 2E, the first thing I do is zoom in on normal before applying thermal.

And why it could be built in, for limiting friendly fire? Forcing the gunner to take a look at the target outside of thermal to get a better visual ID maybe, that would be my guess.

Yeah, maybe... still think it's on the brink of being retarded though :-)

that's the way Leclerc works too, with a difference: thermal magnification is linked to day magnification, so you can switch from one to the other to confirm target before firing.

What ammunition type is being used for the secondary round? Looks to be PPT Frag or ABM, both of which are KE fragmentation rounds, and especially PPT Frag has a very high penetration potential.

The single image of the hit from the secondary round does look suspicious, even with the deeper penetrating rounds, but it is possible that other fragments also hit elsewhere from the same round, (or other rounds from the same burst?) where the armour is thinner and the target more vulnerable. (below the side skirts, between road wheels and into the carousel?). Or that the single fragment in you image is one of many that killed the three crew over many impacts, the actual killing damage may have already occurred with other fragments?

The APFSDS rounds are not showing damage arising from any of those hits, the damage is all previously sustained (black text for component status).

yeah, im gonna experiment some more with it.

I'm not seeing PPT Frag functioning at all, so I doubt this is the explanation.

My gut feeling is that the vehicles are dying from fire from other vehicles (or the occasional lucky hit from APFSDS into the lower hull side), and the failure of subsequent hits to add damage is not being clearly presented (for the destroyed vehicle hit by ABM), or interpreted for the APFSDS hits.

APFSDS is a reliable killer of the T80U when fired into the rear half of the hull side (ideally below the skirting) and striking the fighting compartment/ammunition area. It might be a little exaggerated in it's effectiveness, but I don't doubt that it should be capable of penetrating this area, or causing trouble if it penetrates into the propellant areas.

• Members

It's a feature, and an inevitable consequence of having two magnifications in the daysight (if the lenses are in the laser's optical path). Basically a good gunner will switch to high magnification and use the wide field of view in daysight mode only if he can't make out the target in the thermals while the commander is designating a target.

But ... it does give you that extra capability of a wide field of view in the daysight. It's a matter of training and habits.

• Moderators

Also the T-80 dies from CV9035 flankshots, both ammo types from various ranges, no problem killing a T80 from 2000m with HE and SABOT projectiles.

Sure, what is so special about the T-80s flank that keep it from being killed by KE projectiles, especially to the ammo area? HE / PPX rounds, probably not very likely but who knows if you are spraying the side with them. Those images certainly do not show such a kill. As Lieste said, none of the damage mentioned in those screen shots occured from your hits, only red text damage is damage that occurs from that specific hit.

In the final screen shot, you hit the gun tube as it was raised to reload. The gun tube positions are NOT recorded in the AAR.