heat

richard

about the M901 hammerhead, how would that play out in a realistic scenario?

would the 901 crew jump ship as soon as a sabot came flying through the hammerhead?

would the tanks follow SOP, and fire at it "until it changes shape"?

or would they fire off 2-3 rounds, and then assume they damaged it, and ignore it, while risking getting shot at?

or simply call in artillery?

IOfcoures you take him out with the SABOT easily but now you've got a HEAT shell loaded and you'll be at a disadvantage for your first shot against the tanks.

Don't forget that you can unload and reload any type of ammo you want, so swapping HEAT for KE isn't a problem anymore.

about the M901 hammerhead, how would that play out in a realistic scenario?

would the 901 crew jump ship as soon as a sabot came flying through the hammerhead?

would the tanks follow SOP, and fire at it "until it changes shape"?

or would they fire off 2-3 rounds, and then assume they damaged it, and ignore it, while risking getting shot at?

or simply call in artillery?

Well- are you suggesting that the best solution then is to let one vehicle sit there and tie up all computer controlled units because it can't be killed? A player can ignore it, but the computer can't discriminate. How does that fit into any SOP- or ought there be a program to procure as many of these as possible and distribute them to all units so in order to completely redesign all thinking centered around the trump card of an indestructible PC?

Personally, I think the concession here would mean hit = probably dead under most circumstances; simply disabling the launcher would mean it can still spot and report units, and hold objectives, so something has got to give. Basic rule of thumb is that you don't want to get hit, not impart some notion that getting hit is really no bother and can in fact be used to good effect. If it gets hit, I would rationalize that it gets killed on the premise that it was compromised by being detected, and in a sense 'deserved' to get killed.

Don't forget that you can unload and reload any type of ammo you want, so swapping HEAT for KE isn't a problem anymore.

Say again!? You can now swap out main gun ammo? I missed that in the change log. What's the command?

On the IRL note: what's the protocol on taking rounds out of the breach? I'm sure peacetime rules are different than practice, but how is that handled? I'd venture to guess that in a firefight, swapping out ammo isn't the first thing on the crew's mind, but I could be wrong.

• Moderators

You can do it on all tanks now (or you should be able to at least). The initial restriction was because tank commanders avoid doing this on vehicles with combustable ammo in order to be safe to avoid an accident. However, the feature was added by military request to the Strv 122, which uses such ammo, so it was a bit unfair to hard restrict it on other vehicles.

Eventually, one day, there will probably be rare chances of rounds getting stuck in breach (maingun damage) or, very rare lottery winning probility of flash fire (death). In the case of rounds getting stuck in breech, it would be for extreme cases, not the normal round stick that can be cleared by loader. I have been in a tank where a round was severely stuck in the breach as we tried to swap rounds (the chamber was filled with carbon) and we were essentially out of action until we could do some *serious* work to it. Anyway, the point is, it is allowed now out of fairness and the fact that although discouraged, it is not physically impossible to do.