vague estimation on patch?

Skybird03

I don't think that anytime before June is realistic. Of course we want to release something as soon as possible, but we can't release patches on a monthly basis.

Ssnake

Thanks for the feedback on a prospective patch, and a realistic probable timeframe for it.

Will the patch be limited to addressing issues in the upgrade only?

On 30 December last year you indicated that you were considering "upping" the rendering distance to 6,000 m or more - which would be great for helios armed with precision munitions - and provide a more realistic theatre threat simulation for the tanks from arguably one of today's most potent tank killers. By the way, the simulation of the Tiger attack helio and its Hellfires is a GREAT improvement over the Beta 2.37 version. Thanks for that.

Also, I thought that I would express my appreciation for the addition of the airstrike option. It is great. However, last year you also flagged the possibility of placing restrictions on its availability in any given scenario. For what its worth, I would ask that you do not place to severe a restriction on that. From what I have read and heard, the ready availability of loitering CAS for US and NATO forces is a significant feature of the current battlefield.

Regards

• Members
Will the patch be limited to addressing issues in the upgrade only?

If you mean whether the patch can be applied to versions other than 2.460 - no, of course not. A patch is an incremental update that requires a previously installed version, in this case 2.460.

If you mean whether the patch can be applied to versions other than 2.460 - no, of course not. A patch is an incremental update that requires a previously installed version, in this case 2.460.

Ssnake

No, that was not my query. Sorry if my expression was confusing.

Skybird started the thread by suggesting that some bugs had slipped through, and queried whether a hotfix or patch was planned.

In response you suggested that you did not think that a patch anytime before June was likely.

My query was whether the patch (that you suspected was not likely before June) was likely to only address the so-called "bugs" in the 2.46 upgrade referred to by Skybird, or whether it may contain any other content - and I referred to your comments last year about the possibility of upping the rendered distance to 6,000m sometime during 2009.

Skybird03 - Nothing in my posting is either a criticism or a "debate", just a request for information based on previous postings by Ssnake and you. In fact, my posting is very significantly about expressing thanks and appreciation for what has already been done in 2.46.

Ssnake

Skybird03 - Nothing in my posting is either a criticism or a "debate",

Nah, now lets don'T take any of this any heavy. ;) No hard feelings at all. I just wanted to be preemptive a bit, due to experiences with somewhat escalating threads on future patch expectations that we had in the past, namely regarding the Beta-release. It was no too pleasant experience at times (and I admit that maybe I added my share to it, what I regretted later on).

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Yes, we have a contract. Can't say for sure however how soon it'll make its way into SB Pro PE, we will probably need until May 2010 or so to refine it even though we want a reasonably good prototype in December. But who knows, things may work out better than before (this time we had a chance to work on the development specs to eliminate misunderstandings before the actual start of work).

As far as beta versions are concerned, we're currently at 2.483; most notable changes are a manual for the Pizarro (PDF, both in Spanish and English), lots of changes for the CV90/35, lots of updates of armor files to improve the damage behavior of a number of vehicles, and of course bug fixes and minor improvements that were suggested after 2.460.

• Members

Right after the release of 2.460 we were tied down with the exhibition at the ITEC in Brussels and the SBC. So with the aftermath of both events no serious work could be done before mid May. Also we wanted to combine bug fixes with the final version of the CV90/35, and in the meantime new features were added in that require additional testing.

I agree that the timing wasn't optimal, but I don't see how we could have done massively better under the prevailing circumstances. We are agreed internally however that we want to get the next version out as quickly as possible.

And im even more amazed that it takes about 4 month to release a quick bugfix.

I'm fairly confident that it hasn't taken all this time to fix a single issue. Just be patient, and if history shows us anything, it's that patches/updates include far more then we initially expect. ;)

Right after the release of 2.460 we were tied down with the exhibition at the ITEC in Brussels and the SBC. So with the aftermath of both events no serious work could be done before mid May. Also we wanted to combine bug fixes with the final version of the CV90/35, and in the meantime new features were added in that require additional testing.

I agree that the timing wasn't optimal, but I don't see how we could have done massively better under the prevailing circumstances. We are agreed internally however that we want to get the next version out as quickly as possible.

In other words, the standard answer from anyone who values the quality of their work.... "When It's Done"