vague estimation on patch?

Skybird03

Thanks for the notification. It still won't be coming any quicker. :rolleyes:

That might be correct but i want this to be a little pain in the a** cause i spent money for a update some month ago and have not received even the most basic bug-fixes so far. I know there were reasons for this.. ssnake already mentioned this but anyway my situation has not changed. I for myself was very very interisted in the new infantry behaviour... it is completely screwed in urban situations at the moment and securing urban areas is one off the most important things for infantry forces besides hiding in forrests.

• Moderators
That might be correct but i want this to be a little pain in the a** cause i spent money for a update some month ago and have not received even the most basic bug-fixes so far. I know there were reasons for this.. ssnake already mentioned this but anyway my situation has not changed. I for myself was very very interisted in the new infantry behaviour... it is completely screwed in urban situations at the moment and securing urban areas is one off the most important things for infantry forces besides hiding in forrests.

Yes, I understand the frustration -- but you don't have to make it a "pain in the ass" for everyone just to make it known that you want the patch ASAP. We can pretty much assume that everyone wants it ASAP. ;)

Anyway, as has been mentioned already, it will be "done when it is done". There were a handful of bugs in the release of 2.460 and this is inevitable in every release. We are simply trying to ensure that all of those get addressed (as well as some others) and make sure that new ones are not added. In the mean time, the community has played many months of TGIF games which were not geared towards towns full of infantry -- so it is not like no fun can be had with it otherwise.

I personally edit scenarios for private use, to delete helicopters and infantry from them, at least for the most. SBP focusses on tanks, and that it does excellent, the helicopters are simulated so rudimentary and the infantry is so unrealistic, that I take greater fun from SBP when ignoring them. I do not complain about that, and do not criticise anybody for that, since I understand that SBP is a simulator of armoured vehicle warfare in the main, and before anything else.

but maybe that is just me. I flew Falcon 4 for many years - and never had any interest at all to fly any other plane than the Viper, none of the plane mods and no different aircraft that were developed by the community.

I think people need to not forget the focus and original goal of SBP, and need to focus on it's strengths - that make it a benchmark - instead of wishing it to become something that never has been it's goal and focussing on it's weaknesses. Are there deficits? Without doubt, yes - and they all seem to be outside the focus of the sim. That solves any dispute I else could have had with the package.

If you are not happy with the sim not being a battlefield game, and no playable T-72, and infantry and air war being what they are - do not buy SBP. Life can be so simple.

KillKess,

you can get Armed Assault 1 for smile price now, and different to ArmA 2 it's bugs are pretty much solved. It is a good infantry simulator. Consider it to be for infantry what SBP is for tanks and F4 is for fighters. ;)

Best sims overall for each aspect of military sims:

ArmA/ArmA 2: Infantry

SBP: Armor

DCS Black Shark: Helicopters

Falcon 4.0: Fighters

sadly there is no be-all-end-all sim out there that does everything well.

as for the patch... my guess is the good old fallback... "When it's done!"

Best sims overall for each aspect of military sims:

ArmA/ArmA 2: Infantry

SBP: Armor

DCS Black Shark: Helicopters

Falcon 4.0: Fighters

Command: Conquest of the Aegean

Naval: Dangerous Waters (lovely spiralbook manual, 3 fingers thick, even better than the original print manual for F4)

*gasp* blasphemy!

Calm down again, see my callsign? That's obviously a flyer's callsign, and I have it since the very first falcon was released by Spectrukm Holobyte for Amiga and Atari ST. I have still 4 spiral books with the printed pdf-manuals from SP3 and RP5 standing on the bookshelf, beside the original Falcon 4 manual that came with the default disks ten years ago.

Dangerous Waters, which beats Jane's Fleet Command hands down btw., had optional spiralbooks manuals indeed, but you had to order them separately. It includes more difficult technology stuff than the falcon manual, and includes far more information, since it offers full cockpit simulations of so different platforms like a helicopter, a frigate, and several types of submarines. It really is a highly complex study-sim. that complexity in "avionics" was added to Falcon not before the later stages of the RP series, or even the SP series.

Simmers taking pleasure from reading difficult technical manuals, for them the DW manual is a premium collector's item, really.

;)

VBS and VBS2 do for Infantry what Steel Beasts Pro and PE does for Tanks. Admittedly the VBS series is very expensive but..

Isn't it basing on the Flashpoint and ArmA engines? SimHQ had an essay aboiut that some months ago. The conclusion was, if I remember correctly, that it is not really worth the additonal money over the game-sims.

Edit. Here it is:

http://www.simhq.com/_land3/land_125a.html

So what is my opinion of the VBS2 package? To be honest, it is not worth the price of admission, especially with Armed Assault already out and well supported, and Armed Assault 2 arriving soon.

VBS2 is more a "sandbox tool". There are no missions included besides the three tutorial missions. Finding multiplayer games is almost next to impossible. It’s a small group of gamers that usually have VBS2 and get together for multiplayer action. We’ve had up to a dozen once or twice, but the majority of the time you’ll be lucky to find 4 players online.

The graphics and sounds are great, as compared to Armed Assault. The interface and features are fantastic. Very few bugs or problems, but there are always a few. Tons of military equipment, weapons, and gear. A class “A” editor and AAR tool.

VBS2, in my opinion, is nice to have… no, great to have. But not a necessity, and not recommended for the average or even above average gamer. The AI is no better than in Armed Assault that I could see. BIA does claim it has been improved over ArmA. Maybe so. I still get located and shot from enemy AI units hundreds of meters away in heavy brush, or even darkness.

All that said, I’m glad I have it, love it for SP missions, along with an occasional MP session. Love it for the editor and AAR tool, and actually use it for police tactics and survival class, which I teach in my Department. But yes, the $500 USD could have been better spent.

For those not knowing it, I recommend that Conquest of the Aegean title. maybe the best ingame AI I have ever seen. I could swear I play against humans when getting canned by the AI, and it is quite complex and reflects plenty of realism details. But not really a first-person-simulation, but a strategy and tactics title, focussing on planning and command. think of it as the SBP map interface with far greater compexity and a malicious AI.

To be found at the Matrix website

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/313/details/Conquest.of.the.Aegean

...you don't have to make it a "pain in the ass" for everyone just to make it known that you want the patch ASAP.
Or, put to song (sung to the tune of Frere Jacque)

It will get here

It will get here

When it's done

When it's done

Then and not before then

Then and not before then

When it's done

When it's done

I trust this has cleared up the issue.

Shot