Skybird03

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, I was assuming a standard Warpac type formation with:

HQ and 9 rifle sections, 3 Lt ATGW, 2 AGL, 2 Med ATGW, and 3 SAM per company.

That would give you 14 good quality AT weapons (9 RPG 7/16/29, 3 AT7 and 2AT4), with 'some' RPG22 available to each element - these are not usable at the same time as any of the heavy weapons (including dual types of rpg within the rifle squad) - you could add RPG22 to the HQ squad though. Give the AGL DP ammunition and it becomes a threat to light armour.

Here is a sample TO&E for a possible Warpac MRB, done primarily as a test of the APP-6a font.

2 small tests (cfr. attached sce):

1) Rifle teams equipped with only Rifles or MG, do NOT open fire on tanks.

But they do open fire on PC's (in this example: VEC).

So if you mix PC's (or maybe even IFV as BMP) with your tanks,

the Red infantry will give up their position to the tanks, by firing on the PC ?

2) Rifle teams equipped with RPG, do open fire on tanks, except for M72

=> So difficult to avoid that Infantry betrays its position ?

Maybe limit firing distance of rifles by giving only 5.56 mm ammo (range 300 - 450 m, which is comparable +/- range of RPG), instead of 7.62 ammo (range 1200 m) ?

This way, infantry will not open up too early on PC's near tanks ?

That would also put them at a disadvantage vs infantry with longer range rifles, but if they remain hidden/sunk in ground, they would not be in big danger.

What would you think ?

56e83c78ee977_test-Infantryfiringontanks

test - Infantry firing on tanks.rar

Well yes,

why should I make things simple if I can complicate them ...

On the other hand, when I think about it, giving only 5.56 mm ammo, instead of 7.62 ammo, is an easy and definite solution, as it can applied with 1 click to all infantry-units.

Whereas setting set fire control to a shorter range, or with a fire if... condition, needs to be repeated at each waypoint & route of each squad.

Rgds - K

The pauses could also be caused by the AAR being written to disk, as someone mentioned. It would be interesting to know the interval between the pauses.

I tried the Border patrol single mission, and timed the stutter/micro freeze/ Hdd lag intervals with the internal clock. For me they happen exactly every 30 sec. I can even hear a slight buzz every time from my system Hdd at that moment. The pauses are connected to some Hdd activity for sure, AAR saving or something else. Any ideas what it is and how to get rid of it? I haven't had this before the upgrade.

I'm running a core 2 duo @ 3, 18 Ghz, Nvidia 8800GTS, 4 GB ram, Creative X-Fi. Two 320 GB Seagate hdd and one 1TB Western Digital.

cheers Porphy

I tried the Border patrol single mission, and timed the stutter/micro freeze/ Hdd lag intervals with the internal clock. For me they happen exactly every 30 sec. I can even hear a slight buzz every time from my system Hdd at that moment. The pauses are connected to some Hdd activity for sure, AAR saving or something else. Any ideas what it is and how to get rid of it? I haven't had this before the upgrade.

Same here. Without knowing it for sure I have linked it to the saving of the AAR indeed, just to have an explanation and gain peace of mind again. :)

Any way to optionally switch AAR off completely, for those who do not need it anyway?

The 'lagging' with AAR writes may be due to the antivirus program (if you have one running) checking the data each time it is written. You might possibly see some improvement if you add the .aar as an exception.

Thanks Lieste, I will try that and see if it makes a difference. I'm running the free version of AVG at the moment. I used to have Kaspersky, and then I did'nt have these stutters with the beta version of SB Pro Pe.

cheers Porphyr

AVG allows the whole folder to set a an exception, so I've tagged the both the AAR and reports folders.

In my opinion, AVG is also implicated in a system thrash with csrss.exe - I'm not sure exactly why, but I suspect the realtime scanner is taking just a fraction too long to return the file csrss.exe is trying to parse, and it times out before immediately retrying.

I was intermittently seeing almost 100% CPU load between AVG and csrss.exe processes, without anything very much going on.

Resetting the AVG realtime scanner would reduce this to the 'normal' idle processor load of less than 2% for these.

The microsoft KB article on this suggests a possible policy corruption, and that you should delete your user account, but this doesn't sound like a very good 'first step' to me.

Hi

I tried setting exclusions, and it does help! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I can still notice a slight micro stutter, but it really is minimal in the missions I have tried with the new AVG setting.

cheers porphyr

Talking about collision avoidance... I am brand new to Pro PE although an original SB user until about two weeks ago when I finally got Pro PE.

Why is it that small rocks and boulders are not or cannot be driven over? In fact Humvee's also cannot go over them. All of those units should easily be able to traverse over reasonable sized rocks and boulders yet none can. Is there a reason for this?

The my documents path contains two folders that are written to by SB during the AAR/Scenario runtime. These are AAR and reports.

I suggested adding these folders to the realtime exception list, as it reduces the overhead for each incremental write of the AAR - the reports one isn't as important IMO, but I figured that it couldn't hurt much.

This is a potential risk for a system that must be highly secured, but for my home use & with noScript running, I am seeing noticeable improvements for what I perceive as limited risk - and as the alternative 'solution' often given is to completely disable AV etc when running games online :eek2:, I'm still actually fairly well protected.

Talking about collision avoidance... I am brand new to Pro PE although an original SB user until about two weeks ago when I finally got Pro PE.

Why is it that small rocks and boulders are not or cannot be driven over? In fact Humvee's also cannot go over them. All of those units should easily be able to traverse over reasonable sized rocks and boulders yet none can. Is there a reason for this?

The pebbles/boulders are passable if they are small, and act only as a visual indication in the theme that this is a rocky/rough area. If the theme designer has set them above a threshold size then they are indeed impassable, but can be bypassed if not too dense.

My feeling is that the themes have generally excessive density and size of most terrain elements, but lack roughness, and are generally too 'fast'.

For terrain 'size'… on good going, most AFV have a maximum vertical step of between 12 and 18", and this is reduced on poorer going - a small 4-6" branch on the ground can be enough to prevent passage by a T62 on a moderately steep slope cross-country, and although modern tanks have better mobility, the same general pattern exists - in poor going, small obstacles can prevent movement, where they would have little effect on a level, hard surface.

In game you should probably avoid movements as much as possible in areas which look to be bad going.

Porphyr,

what exactly have you added to your Antivir's exception list? The SBP-exe?

With AVG I went into Tools > advanced settings. Then under the resident shield > exceptions. Here you can choose to add a path to folders that then won't be scanned in real time by AVG.

I guess you can also add exceptions to file type .aar if you want to, but I didn't do that.

cheers porphyr

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just to follow up on this, we have been looking at infantry behavior and did find that once the RPG gunner (the troop who has the RPG) was killed then the RPG was not properly passing to the next troop in the squad or team. This resulted in cases where, when the individual firing the RPG was killed then the the troop squad or team would no longer fire RPGs. Needless to say, this would go a long way to making infantry tamer than they were in the past.

This should should be corrected in a future update (exactly when that will be is still unknown at the moment).