Leopard 2E "KW" mode lasing from TC station

MOAMarksman

Just noticed something... When using the Leopard 2E, from the TC position. When in the "KW" mode (* keypad) and at full zoom, I'll try to lase a target, but the gun doesn't adjust for the lased distance (both Main/Coax) for firing from the TC station...

But trying the same thing in any other Leo 2 from the TC station, the gun adjusts for that distance and essentially zeros the projectile with the cross hair on the TIM.

Is this a bug?

This procedure is explained in the SB wiki and indicates it should work with the 2E.

It *did* work when the tutorial was tested. However you must also be in high magnification on the gunner's EMES daysight, otherwise the BC reverts to Battlesight range at 1.5km

Maximum magnification means either x12 or x24 (if using the commander's Campo Ancho magnification switch). The EMES daysight is also available at x4 (and x8 in CA), and the laser is inhibited in these magnifications.

The EMES TIS mode is only selectable between x12 and x4, and the TIM also, although it has a slightly different Field of View, and is displayed at a slightly larger size on the screen.

Just to clarify, so long as the EMES day is *in* x12/x24, you can actually be *using* the TIM/PERI (in PERI slaved to gun mode - "arrow down"), or EMES TIS modes to point the gun.

The gunner has a habit of switching to low magnification when scanning, and if he was in EMES day, you might have to remind him to switch magnifications (you can check by toggling your CA switch while in EMES daysight), if you can see the muzzle, then he is in wide mode and needs a gentle kick ;)

If he is disabled, then tough luck, you'll have to use battlesight procedures.

• 5 months later...

I came up with another question that perhaps can be attached to this thread.

Is there any way to display the Laser'd range in the TC station of any targets the Gunner ranges with the laser? I assume in reality the gunner would tell the TC how far a target is should he ask. I ask this as it would assist in keeping a stand off range from certain threats.

I find in the M1A1 this isn't an issue as the TC can see the targets range through the GPS extension...

Is there any way to display the Laser'd range in the TC station of any targets the Gunner ranges with the laser?

I think, the range of the "Anzeigefeld" for gunners sight is mirrored in in the right ocular after the point where a camera films the EMES for the TIM, so the TC can´t see it.

• Members

In real life it would be the "Kommandantenanzeigegerät" (Commander's Display Device) which is that thing to the right of the GPS unit where the range would be shown. We have yet to get around to enable it. Currently it's kinda useless.

In the Strv and Leo 2E it would be accessible in the battlefield management system's monitor which combines the functions of the RPP, the GPS, and the Kommandantenanzeigegerät.

In real life it would be the "Kommandantenanzeigegerät" (Commander's Display Device) which is that thing to the right of the GPS unit where the range would be shown. We have yet to get around to enable it. Currently it's kinda useless.

In the Strv and Leo 2E it would be accessible in the battlefield management system's monitor which combines the functions of the RPP, the GPS, and the Kommandantenanzeigegerät.

Thanks for the info Ssnake. Heres hoping for a working Kommandantenanzeigegerät! Boy, once thats enabled that 2E will be something fierce in my book.

• Members

Like I wrote, neither STrv 122 nor Leo 2E have a Kommandantenanzeigegerät. That's a Leopard 2A4/A5 thing. The functionality was integrated into these battlefield management systems like the GPS device and the self-diagnosis device of the fire control system. But in order to enable that in the Leo 2E and Strv we would need to replicate the user interface of these devices - and there mere idea of doing that fills us with nameless horror. We have no interest at all to reinvent the user interfaces of real-life battlefield management systems. That would be a bloody waste of our time.