Bird Hunt v1.1

Hackworth

let's kill a colonel.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/268/p13_fileid/1717

i think it's pretty tough. key is keeping as much of your unit as alive as possible...lol. Also, don't screw up and arty the target without visual on it -- even as you're breaking contact. CNN will headline you and your CO will can you. ;)

prior to yesterday, i couldn't get a victory, but you could say i haven't tried that hard. i have however, gotten a "defeat" which i considered an accomplishment. i hit the CP and killed everything, made sure i identified my targets before calling Arty or CAS on the target, but lost my entire unit egressing...

and then last night i nabbed a victory once in single player...barely. then under Dark Angel's leadership, Wahrborg, he and I pulled it off again...barely.

p.s. this one has all the Spainiacs in mind. You're outfitted with 4 x Pizarro, 2 x Centauro.

Bird.jpg

Excerpts of the brigade commander's orders for 1st Recce Platoon, 8th INF:

1) SITUATION:

a) Enemy:

Two regiments of the 33rd Div (Mot), the 337th and 339th Guards, punched a hole in our defenses. They suffered heavy casualties, but are preparing to resume the attack. 337th Guards MRR is located to the south of 339th MRR. SIGINT has located the regimental HQ company of the 337th MRR as well as a forward artillery Fire Direction Center. BDE S-2 calculates that a considerable gap exists between these two regiments.

b) Own:

8th INF withdrew to new defensive lines just west of your position. 1st Recce is located astride the boundary between the 339th MRR and 337th MRR.

c) Attachments and detachments: None.

2) MISSION:

Penetrate the gap between the 339th MRR and 337th MRR and destroy the 339th Headquarters elements. Upon completion all units will return to RP Zulu (NLT: 08:00).

3) EXECUTION:

Destroy the 339th's HQ elements and any targets of opportunity located in the designated target area. Try not to become decisively engaged prior to actions against the enemy HQ. When complete, retire to RP Zulu. Do not try to hold your penetration. Do not move east of PL Pooch.

Intent: By destroying the enemy HQ elements, BDE indents to disrupt the cohesion of its subunits in preparation for a local counter-attack.

a) Concept of Operation:

1st Plt will discretely penetrate the gap between the 337th and 339th MRRs using all available recce assets. Put eyes on target prior to engaging the HQ with indirect fires. When the HQ is in sight, use all means available to destroy anything with an antennae. Do not risk the destruction of your element for the objective of this mission.

i) Maneuver:

Move quickly to penetrate the gap between the 337th and 339th MRRs. Do not stray outside your boundaries. Do not cross PL Pooch or you are screwed. You are permitted to attack enemy units within your sector, however your ingress may be easier by stealthier means. The decision is yours; but the mission comes first and your people always.

ii) Fires:

Fires are limited for this operation. 3 tubes x 1 battery available. Do not fire artillery or CAS into the OBJ area without putting eyes on and identifying the target. Available round types: HE, Smoke, CAS (2 x 500lbs bombs).

iii) Additional assets:

None.

b) Tasks to Maneuver units:

None.

c) Tasks to Combat Support Units:

None.

d) COORDINATING INSTRUCTIONS:

H-Hour: 06:30

Complete by: 08:00

Mission end if all operational 1A units return to RP Zulu (mission time > 15:00 minutes, delayed 5 seconds, not under direct fire)

5) COMMAND AND SIGNALS:

1/A Recce: Stiletto

8th INF, Commander: Blackjack

Delta Co: Dagger

Scoring:

-100 points for each Arty strike into OBJ without eyes on OBJ (up to -500)

500 points based on percentage of end strength

150 points for destruction of HQ elements (2 x MT-LB, 1 x CO BTR-80)

150 points for destruction of HQ Arty Forward Observers (2 x MT-LB FO)

150 points for return of all operable AFVs to RP Zulu. In order to apply, units in RP Zulu must not be under fire when mission ends.

Note: Outside your boundaries are penalty zones (expose to enemy 100% > 30 seconds). Stay within your boundaries. Off map penalty zone (destruction 100% > 30 seconds). Don't go off the map, lol.

Edited by Hackworth

I gave it a first try:

* Our units followed the gap between the two regiments, as indicated in the briefing.

They advanced with scout-tactics thru the woods - avoided the roads: so very slowly.

* Some infantry was met here & there, but I avoided a firefight to keep my troops for the large battle that I was expecting to come later. Still lost three soldiers in a sudden skirmish !

The enemy was well positioned on a reverse slope and could thus ambush us from a short distance - so I think it was impossible to avoid them, so ...

I dealt with this and other Red infantry by arty & air-strikes (impressive !).

Although we were detected, the Red outposts didn't seem to have called in help.

-> QUESTION: Might be a bit of a flaw in the plan of the Red commander ? Or is just a case of randomness ?

* Arriving at the outskirts of the forest, I kept all vehicles hidden and just sent out an infantrysquad to scout ahead in the plain.

I artied in advance a large house which was on their path and might have contained some Red troops.

And although our scouts were skilfully advancing through a riverbed,

they stumbled upon a Tunguska and got into real trouble - more losses !

* I positioned a single Centauro at the outskirts of the forest to eliminate the Tunguska, in order to prepare the final assault.

But, that Centauro also saw immediately the Red HQ, so I launched the necessary artystrikes

and withdrew all units back to RP Zulu.

-> QUESTION: was this visual contact (= red units showing up on the map) enough to allow the arty ?

I'm a bit puzzled, because I received afterwards a msg from Blackjack, warning to not drop the arty without eyes on OBJ.

* To withdraw I just followed the roads. Yes, we ran into Red infantry, and got shot at. But our high speed exit apparently avoided us taking casualties there !

Still, not enough of our units made it in time, before the end of the mission, which ended, alas, in defeat.

* In the AAR I saw how the 2 Red MRB's were indeed present in the neighbourhood - this was created with much care, Hackworth.

It will increase immersion for me, next time that I run this mission, knowing that the enemy is so near.

THX for having made this mission,

K

I gave it a first try:...Although we were detected, the Red outposts didn't seem to have called in help.

-> QUESTION: Might be a bit of a flaw in the plan of the Red commander ? Or is just a case of randomness ?...

-> QUESTION: was this visual contact (= red units showing up on the map) enough to allow the arty ?

I'm a bit puzzled, because I received afterwards a msg from Blackjack, warning to not drop the arty without eyes on OBJ.

* In the AAR I saw how the 2 Red MRB's were indeed present in the neighbourhood - this was created with much care, Hackworth.

It will increase immersion for me, next time that I run this mission, knowing that the enemy is so near.

THX for having made this mission,

K

Hi Koen,

Yes, the INF are "spotting" -- they are on scout order with return fire only. Did you view the AAR? anywhere from 1-2 platoons of BTR are assigned to attack into that forest from the north (same in the south) if certain conditions are met (must see AFVs for those platoons to move -- seeing your dismounts won't count). From what I've seen, by the time the platoon arrives the player has normally moved on to the target. but, they might be waiting for you on your egress...also, they will move around a bit trying to locate you if they are not in contact.

As for the Arty...that's a complicated series of conditions and events. i think may need to revisit those because what i'm finding is that INF are not setting it off -- i don't think this is a bug. i need to make sure that any unit can get a visual and make it count. after some testing, i'll get back to you ;)

i normally played my infiltration the way you did Koen. but, toward the end of testing, i realized it might as well move on the roads, return fire only, assult, at slow speed. slow to keep the units together (the wheeled Centauros don't like the roads...), assault to keep anyone from stopping to engage, and the roads just make it that much faster (also, probably why i tend to miss the BTRs until I egress). this way you spend much less time moving to the target. also, i wouldn't spend more than 3 minutes shooting up the HQ once you attack, then bugger out. if you don't, you'll see why ;)

thank you for checking it out and i really appreciate the feedback!

I moved on the roads inside the woods.(as a former reccon-platoon soldier I know:going of road in woods is a good way to get stuck...getting stuck between enemy units is a good way of getting killed)

Getting trough there is not the problem. In both tries I engaged 2 Inf squads and killed them(I count that as "counter-reccon) :-P )

When I came up the woodline south-west of the enemy HQ I got immobilized by AA-guns in both tries.

I moved on the roads inside the woods.(as a former reccon-platoon soldier I know:going of road in woods is a good way to get stuck...getting stuck between enemy units is a good way of getting killed)

Getting trough there is not the problem. In both tries I engaged 2 Inf squads and killed them(I count that as "counter-reccon) :-P )

When I came up the woodline south-west of the enemy HQ I got immobilized by AA-guns in both tries.

wicked... that's the route i like, if i read you correctly. check your PM.

Most of the evening was spent reading about the German generals in WO II in a nice booklet by Basil Lidell Hart. In this book Hasso von Manteuffel stresses that speed is the key.

I downloaded this scenario a couple of days ago and I found it very intriguing; after getting owned on my first tries, I wanted to test if maybe speed is really the key.

I took the first platoon and took the route eastwards through the wooded area; I encountered a few INF units and I even managed to run over a few of their number while racing to the objective. No further time was spent engaging them.

Instead of trying to get near the enemy cp from the southwest, where I got peppered a few times before, I tried a different approach. I raced over the bridge and crossed the little river between 11-12. I lost my centauro there because its driver decided he had had enough and parked his vehicle on the river bottom. The other vehicle was lost somewhere along the way as well.

Continuing northward, I raced up the road to about line 12 to engage from almost exactly west. From there I could spot several enemy vehicles, Tunguska included. I took out a few and decided to take the fight into the village.

Racing to the village, several RPG's were fired, but I was able to dodge them. Spraying fire I entered the village, keen on knocking off targets. All of a sudden, I was not able to fire anymore because the crew were getting rid of shell casings! This took quite a while.

Totally helpless, I hugged a building and prayed that there would be time to finish the job.

In front of me a couple of enemy trucks kept moving, begging to be fired upon, but my crew were still busy tidying up their 'car'.

When they finally were finished I took out the trucks and wanted to venture further into the village to find the enemy HQ.

Before I could go any further I was killed by the enemy, but it was not in vain as it was counted as a victory, 900-something points out of a possible 1400-something. The second platoon was left untouched during the mission.

Manteuffel surely has a point: speed is the key!

I am sure that the way I handled this scenario is not realistic, but if wanted I can send you my AAR.

Edited by 60bravo