SB Pro PE performance with various grahics cards

Ssnake

• Moderators
It would depend a lot on the scenery...

To add to what Ssnake said, also keep in mind -- and this was proven to me recently -- that "towns" where map designers have placed buildings on top of other buildings to create a unique look and shape to buildings will especially cripple the frame rates. The more of these buildings that overlap, even in the slightest bit, the greater the frame rate loss will be.

I recently played a scenario with a ton of buildings with none of them overlapping and the frame rate remained exceptional. It may be worth a look at some of the old maps...

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea thats right. It's also quite obvious that the combination of new graphics cards, steel beasts and windows vista does not work good at all many times. You might take, add or change around a bit in that combination, but fact is - something is messed up.

Im having the problem, and there is alot of other users on the forum that has it to from what i can read in different threads. As i understand it, eSim's take on it is that it's the drivers thats not working good with SB, new graphics cards and Vista?

Is there any work done from eSim to fix this, or do we wait for new GC drivers and/or service packs for Vista to fix it?

• Members

There's few things that we can do. We can complain at NVidia about the quality of their drivers (please try to be very specific about driver version, operating system, and eventually the kind of scene where a frame rate drop occurs; I have just received a report that with Vista, the GTX260, and driver version 180.something the frame rate usually is very high except with the thermal imager selected. If this is similar for you others as well, then this will give us a good clue about the nature of the problem).

As a short-term solution we can only recommend that you try older drivers until you find a version with which the problem will go away. This is another important clue, if you can tell us which specific driver versions create trouble, and which ones work well. This will allow us to nail down the problem, and hopefully allow NVidia to avoid similar problems in the future.

I am getting good frame rates with all at max,not windowed and on XP with the original drivers.Mind you i have a 2.33 dual core,4 gig RAM,2 x Nvidia GeForce 8700m GT 512Mb SLI.It does slow when theres incoming artillery but thats about the only thing that slows it up.

I would not put all of the blame on nVidia (although they do deserve some of it).

I think part of the problem is Vista, because I have an ATi 3870 and have frame rate issues like many people with nVidia cards are having, and the common link appears to be Vista. I have never tried running Steel Beasts on XP because I don't have it installed on my PC, but my frame rates are very inconsistent. They go from 60 to 12 depending on what scenery is being rendered. Trees, shrubs, buildings, smoke, and forests really seem to kill my frame rate.

ATI 3870 512MB

ATI Catalyst 8.12

1280x1024

No AA or AF

Vista SP1

Steel Beasts Settings:

Full Screen

Top two sliders at 90

Bottom Slider at 40

I am not looking for any help or responses, I just wanted to give some feedback on my experience with Steel Beasts, Vista, and ATi's current drivers.

FPS differs a lot and it is of course a result of how detailed the scenario and map is. I did some non scientific measurement on some of the scenarios that are shipped with SB and one of my own*:

SCE: Hasty defence 01

FPS: 8-20

Terrainmap: N/A (sce pwd protected)

SCE: Over the hill*

FPS: 6-7

Terrainmap: ScaniaSE

SCE: Are they attacking here

FPS: 50-62

Terrainmap: Range mod1

SCE: Habighorst attack

FPS: 6-20

Terrainmap: Beedenbostel

SCE: Deliberate assault 01

FPS: 28-62

Terrainmap: Bowlingalley3

SCE: Battle of 73 easting

FPS: 55-60

Terrainmap: N/A (sce pwd protected)

SCE: Border patrol

FPS: 22-62

Terrainmap: Revingehed_terr

Are there someone willing to test the same scenarios so that we can compare the framrates?

------------------

SB settings

------------------

Full screen

Standard settings for ground clutter

Z Buffer size: 24 bit

Refresh V-sync: on

Res: 1280 x 1024 x 32

------------------

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate x64 (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

Memory: 4094MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Display Memory: 2289 MB

Dedicated Memory: 497 MB

Shared Memory: 1791 MB

Current Mode: 1600 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Driver Version: 7.15.0011.8043 (English)

DDI Version: 10

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 10/23/2008 07:42:00, 8540160 bytes

• 6 months later...

I want to upgrade my AGP card (a GeForce 5....something) and now have the opportunity to buy a Radeon X1600 XT 256 MB (it is in your list) or a slightly more expensive Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB (you put the X1900 instead in the list). Which one would you recommend me?

Cheers,

Panta

• 4 weeks later...

Got my new graphic card, a Radeon X1950 PRO 256MB AGP.

My system:

Pentium IV, Intel 2.9 GZ

XP SP 2

2GB Ram

Installed the card and the last driver.

SBP set at 1280x1024 16 bit, ground detail 50% aprox, the rest at 100%

Frame rates:

Open ground or sparse trees: 60

Amid dense woods: 25-30

Not bad at all, isn't it? ;)

Cheers,

Panta

• 1 month later...

I must say i have very variable frame rates with my system.

XPS 420

EVGA 260 GTX

Q6600

4GM RAM

300gb RAID 0 Hard Drives

I went into the graphics setting and ramped up the details setting to 100 for all three sliders, in the belieif becuase i ca handle Crysis Warhead and High detail settings, at 1680x1050 i would never see the frame drop below 60fps. Also with it being simulation software desgined for the military (who notriously have accient computers) i thought it would fly. However i found in some mission i was dipping to around 5 - 10fps.

I have since juggled around the slidders and now i dont go below 25 - 30 but i just find it a bit supprising.

I running 190.38 driver, FYI, but so you know with the frame being sorted it doesnt detract from the pure quality of the sim, but i thought i would post my findings.

Regards

Whisky

• 7 months later...

I'm having graphics issues... A horizontal shudder while scanning through the gunners sight. Every second or so, it jumps. Framerate seem high. Looks similar to no vsync, but I can't figure it out.

Core i7 720QM

8 Gigs RAM

Radeon Mobility 5870 (1 Gig)

No answers here, but I'll be watching the thread as I have the same issue since moving to my new PC - Quad-core 9650, 4GB, GTX275, Win-7 64 bit. I have phenomenal frame rates, even with detail cranked way up but I too get a burp when scanning around. It catches for just a half-second, then moves on with a small jump.

I've been unable to solve or reduce it. Detail settings make no difference, nor is it vehicle or gunsight specific. Next thing for me is to try configuring a RAMdisk for the game directories and see if that makes any difference.

I may also go buy a spare hard disk and try installing XP again just to see if it goes away. I did not have the problem on my old XP PC but it was out of date graphically, supporting only AGP not PCI-E.

• 2 weeks later...

My GPU (HD4870X2 2GB with Catalyst 10.5) has got somewhat of "locked" 16X AA performance.

That means that each time I set antialiasing below 16X I will get lot's of parallel horizontal line shaped graphics anomalies on the sky and farthest terrains. Neither AF, nor mipmapping or forced vertical sync and any change in SB Pro PE graphics settings affect this.

Only 16X antialiasing gives the correct picture.

• Administrators

What version? At one point we were writing the aar every few seconds. Paired with a virus scanner that was checking the file constantly, I could see this happening.

I'm having graphics issues... A horizontal shudder while scanning through the gunners sight. Every second or so, it jumps. Framerate seem high. Looks similar to no vsync, but I can't figure it out.

Core i7 720QM

8 Gigs RAM

Radeon Mobility 5870 (1 Gig)

What version? At one point we were writing the aar every few seconds. Paired with a virus scanner that was checking the file constantly, I could see this happening.

SB Pro PE 2.483

I have exactly the same issue you quoted in other guy's post not only in GPS but also in F8 observer mode. It can be fixed only by setting AA to 16X value in Catalyst Control Center. My PC handles 16X AA normally without performance decrease so that is not a problem in my case.

I just wanted to let the developers know that 4870 and possibly 5XXX series graphics cards (as they share the same Catalyst drivers) might treat SB Pro PE this way.