SB Pro PE performance with various grahics cards

Ssnake

• Members
What version? At one point we were writing the aar every few seconds. Paired with a virus scanner that was checking the file constantly, I could see this happening.

With a Core i7?

mmmkay... if you would disable all CPU cores but one. And I should know better than asking how likely that is. ;)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm running the latest and greaest, and the issue is new to this (new) PC. ToyGuy seems to have the same problem.

EDIT: This is all new high-end hardware for me, and I assume many others upgrading will find themselves in the same boat. Hope someone in the community has an answer, if it's not a bug. :)

• 1 month later...

my system: core i7 920 (2,66Ghz), 6gig g.e.i.l. tri channel ram, 2 x sata hdd 1tb, his ati 5870, spu enermax liberty 500.

all drivers/bios latest.

steel beastst pro pe up-to-date.

in hughe battles framerate drops down to 12-17 fps

wtf?

is there a solution? do i have to disable the other three cores?

pls help.- i do not like to install a virtual machine with xp...

• Members

What is a "huge battle" in this context?

With a sufficient number of combatants you can bring down ANY computer with the LOS calculations. LOS calculations grow super-exponentially with the number of combattants, so even Murphy's Law can't help us, just smart mission design.

However, if your battles aren't quite so huge after all, there may actually be a problem - that's why I'm asking. You can send me the corresponding scenario and I'll have a look at how it performs on my computer.

thanks for the reply.

it's one of the default singleplayer scenarios.

i do not remember the exact name.

it is an assault with german "marder" and "leopard1" tanks in summer.

first against some bmps, further on against t72 tanks.

one point is called "HOFER"

ok, i forgot the LOS-thing which permanently has to be calculated for every unit on the bf.

sry for my bad english.

Hm. No default scenario should cause significant slowdowns due to LOS calculations.

Dunno what it is... smoke and stuff slows it down.

For some reason, vertical sync is constantly enabled anyway... even after checking the option in game and forcing it off in ATI CCC.

I'm still happy, it goes from 60-30 occasionally for me... but i don't know enough about the sim as to why. I'm assuming it isn't utilising the dual core GPU or something.

• Members

It may be a problem with antialiasing settings, especially for transparency. That has the potential to be a real performance killer. It should be very noticeable with large bushes in high density as ground clutter objects (if you change the lowest slider's position in the Alt+D dialog, you should then experience a significant change in frame rate), also when looking into deep forests with many trees overlapping each other.

Is that the case?

i'm @work right now and forgot my dongle @home ;)

i disabled the aa-settings in the ccc

maybe i should remote-acess my pc @home and give it a try ingame.

update later...

//edit: can't view anything in the VNC-window (i think it's because AA is enabled.)

any chance to disable AA via .ini or .cfg -file?

//edit2: ok, i found it. the last slider (Verstreute Bodenobjekte) does have a hughe impact on framerate. when i set it to "0" i get 55fps.

have to play around a bit with the sliders after work. thanks Ssnake.

//edit3: please, where can i see the status of my order for "v2.460 Upgrade CD (with pdf manual)"?

//edit4: oh, im not up to date... did not receive any email, hopefully they send me the latest version...

steelbeastsorder.jpg

these are the only options i can choose. entered my credicard-no but did not receive any confirmation... hmmm

Edited by Marder

• Members
//edit3: please, where can i see the status of my order for "v2.460 Upgrade CD (with pdf manual)"?

//edit4: oh, im not up to date... did not receive any email, hopefully they send me the latest version...

these are the only options i can choose. entered my credicard-no but did not receive any confirmation... hmmm

You should receive a mail confirmation from Verisign (now a subsidiary of PayPal) giving you an order confirmation. If you haven't received that, please let me know the date when you tried to place the order. And we should do that by eMail (da kannst Du mir dann auch auf Deutsch schreiben, wenn's hilft).

ok, i received my copy of "upgrade SB Pro PE 2.460" and updated it to "SB Pro PE 2.483".

all detail-sliders maxed out. my ati5870 (vsync on) makes 60fps on a "free" view without trees & smoke.

when i goto the commander's seat and go down the hatch (leo1) my fps drop to 10-15!

i can not imagine that it is no bug. every other sim (lockon2, dcs bs) and other games like arma2 and battlefield bc2 run smooth as silk with no slowdown...

maybe its just a setting in my ati ccc. i left it on "standard". tried other settings with everything "off" and "low", nothing changed.

on my old computer (athlon dualcore +8800gt) sb pro pe runs way better.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, playing with the sliders does not do much in fps.

i installed catalyst 10.7, now i have a constant framerate even in hughe battles.

not drops anymore, very playable.

maybe the drivers were not installed or configured propably. i don't know.

Hi,

I’m looking at getting a new desktop (old one the power supply died and took the motherboard with it. :(, thankfully disk was OK and backup had been tested :)).

Looking at a 2.66GHz Core i5 box running Windows 7 in 64 bit.

4Gb of RAM

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 250 with 1Gb

Anyone see any issues with that setup from a SB Pro perspective?

Whilst at work and on the road I run it quite happily from my MacBook Pro in XP via Bootcamp but Windows 7 is new to me.

Any feedback appreciated, however I‘m not too interested in mortgaging my house for a box to run this, so telling me I “must“ have a quad core i7 box or whatever will be politely ignored. :)

Hi,

I’m looking at getting a new desktop (old one the power supply died and took the motherboard with it. :(, thankfully disk was OK and backup had been tested :)).

Looking at a 2.66GHz Core i5 box running Windows 7 in 64 bit.

4Gb of RAM

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 250 with 1Gb

Anyone see any issues with that setup from a SB Pro perspective?

Whilst at work and on the road I run it quite happily from my MacBook Pro in XP via Bootcamp but Windows 7 is new to me.

Any feedback appreciated, however I‘m not too interested in mortgaging my house for a box to run this, so telling me I “must“ have a quad core i7 box or whatever will be politely ignored. :)

Runs just fine with all settings maxed out on a i7 965 @3.2GHz with Windows 7 64bit :)

Runs just fine with all settings maxed out on a i7 965 @3.2GHz with Windows 7 64bit :)

Thanks, but that doesn’t tell me anything about my proposed configuration.

You don’t even mention which graphics card you have (which is the topic of the thread and the reason for my posting my question here) so the response is I’m afraid just white noise to me.