SB Pro PE performance with various grahics cards

Ssnake

Interesting thread, here. As a newcomer to SB perhaps my experience might be illuminating.

Coming from a flight sim background, I've been on the receiving end of firstly cpu-intensive sims (like LOMAC and IL2), then the latest high-graphics offerings such as Cliffs of Dover and Rise of Flight. I've been building a suitable sim PC to keep pace with these different offerings.

In its current state, I have an E6600 3G CPU with 6G Ram running Windows 7 64. Originally I had a low-end graphics card (the last one in the junk box) and had given up with Cliffs of Dover. 'cos it just couldn't handle it. Then what would it be? A new CPU or a better graphics card....? I plumped for the latter, an HD5850. The difference in graphics-intensive sims was amazing - Cliffs of Dover was eminently playable, as was Rise of Flight.

I would have bought a higher-spec CPU, but I couldn't resist spending the cash on SB instead! With the same setup, SB bats along nicely at 65fps, but really doesn't stress the graphics much.

I know I need a better CPU to handle sims like X-plane (very CPU-intensive). The graphics card will probably do for a couple of years. What about the plans for SB? Are there any plans for a super-graphics version, or will the development direction be in expanded functionality and increased military hardware? Speaking personally, I prefer realism and functionality to exotic graphics and that's what SB provides. This said, we have to try and keep up with sim developments across the board.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

While I don't like to spill beans in advance, there certainly are going to be a few trends. We'll be making more use of modern shader effects. We'll utilize more than one CPU core. There will be "a" 64 bit version of SB Pro - whether the Personal Edition will go this way, I can't say yet. And future SB Pro versions will require more video RAM.

I don't think that SB Pro will ever offer the most beautifully rendered scenes. We don't have the manpower to deliver the visual richness of, say, Battlefield 3 - and I don't think that we ever will, simply because it would require that eSim Games would become a totally different type of company with necessarily a totally different business model (but we like it the way it is, right now).

But of course it is impossible to repeatedly, accurately, and consistently predict all aspects of the future. There will be surprises, good or bad, that may require us to adjust our plans and strategies.

But for the moment, that's what's on the table: Better looks, multithreaded, requiring more RAM and video memory.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that SB Pro will ever offer the most beautifully rendered scenes. .

IMHO, as a tactical simulator first and foremost it doesn't have to. No need to attract the casual gamer with spectacular eye candy. Personally, as a long-time flight simmer, I would rather see a modest improvement in graphics quality and the ability to run at high fps on say an i5 and medium price graphics card.

AAMOI, 1C games have gone for super-high detail with Cliffs of Dover with the result that many potential customers - faced with the need to upgrade their PCs to a very high spec - gave up on it. Not to mention the lack of proper beta testing, CTD issues, etc, etc.

That's my noobie 2p. :)

• 1 month later...

I've attempted to search for my graphics card and haven't had luck. Its not listed in the OP either.

I have a new computer. Its an i5 2320 @ 3 GHz; 1 terra of disk.

The key question I think:

I have a Radeon HD 6790 with a gig of vram.

Is this system adequate for SB Pro PE? (and its latest release)

thanks

Greetings all,

Ref. to Hank;

Select the "start" icon in the lower left corner and either in the search box or the "run" command, type "dxdiag" (without the quotes).

That will bring up a set of window tabs, select the "display" tab and your video card and spec's will be listed on the left side, the current drivers will be listed on the right.

Hope that helps.

Later,

9erRed

[ATTACH]10131[/ATTACH]

56e83cbc1b32c_dxdiagscreen.jpg.7c1d5e682

• Members
I've attempted to search for my graphics card and haven't had luck. Its not listed in the OP either.

Because when we made that list a few years ago, your card wasn't on the market yet. It is faster than the fastest cards listed in that thread, so you're good to go. We should probably make a new survey ... once that the new engine is out.

• Members

I already announced in that SimHQ interview a few months ago (February?) that SB Pro would receive a visual facelift. The original plan was to have it done by summer; regrettably that will no longer work for a variety of reasons. We'll have to delay it at least until autumn, at which point it might make more sense to wait until the coming major PE upgrade. At that point however it is a given that there'll be a number of significant visual improvements, shadows obviously being the most needed one.

I already announced in that SimHQ interview a few months ago (February?) that SB Pro would receive a visual facelift.

Here's a thread which provides a link to Ssnake's original announcement over at SimHQ for those keen on more background information: http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=16316

Obviously the timelines have now changed.

I run SB PRO PE on an ASUS G74SX with 8Gb Ram, an Intel i7 2nd gen processor and an nVidia 560M graphics chip. I force vertical synch on.

With all distance sliders set to 80, 4X AA and 8XAF I get 60FPS in a small or medium sized scenario. In large scenarios FPS will drop to the 40 to 45 range when in F8 mode and mid 30's sometimes when in an inside view (sometimes - I haven't figured out why since it doesn't happen all the time). Very rarely in an outside view FPS will drop into the low to mid 30's. Again I don't know why it just happens sometimes.

• 1 month later...
There will be "a" 64 bit version of SB Pro - whether the Personal Edition will go this way, I can't say yet.

If SB Pro PE will not be available in 64 bit, will current customers using 32 bit SB Pro PE have the option to pay for an upgrade to some higher level version, in order to obtain that capability?

Regards,

Doug

• Members

The question is more like will the Personal Edition ever come to a point where 3 GByte of addressed memory space are insufficient, given that the map size that can be selected for a scenario is limited to 25x25km². Even if we doubled the amount of map space, we would still not come close to that limit.

Therefore a 64 bit version simply is unnecessary as long as there are no other factors to be considered. 64 bit compiled program versions do not offer an inherent advantage aside from addressing vast amounts of memory (which however isn't needed in our case, see above).

The question is more like will the Personal Edition ever come to a point where 3 GByte of addressed memory space are insufficient, given that the map size that can be selected for a scenario is limited to 25x25km². Even if we doubled the amount of map space, we would still not come close to that limit.

Therefore a 64 bit version simply is unnecessary as long as there are no other factors to be considered. 64 bit compiled program versions do not offer an inherent advantage aside from addressing vast amounts of memory (which however isn't needed in our case, see above).

Thanks ... :)

Regards,

Doug

It also means that they can make one version of the software (32Bit) that can be run by people running a whole range of Windows versions from XP through to Windows 8 without needing to support multiple versions or forcing people to upgrade their OS (and in no doubt lots of cases, their computer too) just to run a 64Bit version.

Hi there everyone.

Can anyone tell me,why does a picture stutter while in TIS mode,especially when a lot of trees are being scanned?Specs are iCore 5 @ 2,27 GHz,6 GB RAM,GeForce GT 330M 1Gb VRAM,and everything else runs extremely smoothly with all the sliders at max?It only happens when I switch to thermal sight,no matter the vehicle.

Thanks a lot in advance