Scimitar stand-in

Koen

• Members

Make sure to change the ammo to AP only; if I am not mistaken the Brits never acquired HE munitions for the 30mm Rarden gun (don't know about Belgium, though). Another option might be the LAV-25 but it's wheeled, not tracked.

• Members

The primary disadvantage of the Pizarro is that it has significantly better armor protection, and its 30mm APFSDS outperforms the 30mm AP rounds of the Rarden gun significantly. Then again, at least it's a playable vehicle, if that is required.

The BMD was suggested as it is amphibious, has high mobility and is small. (And it has a nice new 3D)

The Pizarro is large, slower and cannot swim. The same is true of most of the other IFVs

To some extent armour protection can be countered by escalating medium calibre and RPG ammunition strengths, but the Scimitar/Scorpion is really lightly built, similar to BRDM2 or BMD protection and it should be vulnerable to HMG fire.

Edited by GH_Lieste

Scimitar is vulnerable to 7.62mm.

I think it was Bat who told me that, or may have been Irish.

Erm, so, yeah set damage to include Troops on a BMD 2 should suffice, will look a bit Soviet esque, but you can always squint.

And British Scimitars can't swim, they have had their floatation screens removed, dunno bout the Belgian ones though.

Scimitar is vulnerable to 7.62mm.

I think it was Bat who told me that, or may have been Irish.

Erm, so, yeah set damage to include Troops on a BMD 2 should suffice, will look a bit Soviet esque, but you can always squint.

And British Scimitars can't swim, they have had their floatation screens removed, dunno bout the Belgian ones though.

A Thunderflash behind the stowage boxes will apparently dent the turret armour.

• 2 weeks later...
Make sure to change the ammo to AP only; if I am not mistaken the Brits never acquired HE munitions for the 30mm Rarden gun (don't know about Belgium, though). Another option might be the LAV-25 but it's wheeled, not tracked.

I'm reading a book called "in foreign fields" at the moment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foreign-Fields-Heroes-Afghanistan-Their/dp/1906308071/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244050521&sr=1-1

In the chapter about Lt Simon Farebrother, a Scimitar commander in Iraq in 2003,

on page 51 it says "Gunner, traverse on, six rounds automatic, and he put six rounds HE into the bunker at a range of 50 metres"

So Koen it looks like it's ok to give them HE.

Edited by Crusty
spelling.

Looks like a good read Crusty, would love a scim in sb, guess could use a substitute like the Pizarro, although would have to change the ammo, and disregard the size diifference and armour thicknes, but a possible substitiute there. Would be happy to skin it, need to get hold of some blanks. Anyways a possible.

Looks like a good read Crusty, would love a scim in sb, guess could use a substitute like the Pizarro, although would have to change the ammo, and disregard the size diifference and armour thicknes, but a possible substitiute there. Would be happy to skin it, need to get hold of some blanks. Anyways a possible.

Yup, it's a good read so far, The Pizarro would be a better stand in for the Warrior, the BMD would be ok, you just have to squint, then it might look a bit like a Scimitar :) ish...

Scimitar

fv107_scimitar.jpg

Weight 7.8 tonnes

Length 4.9 m

Width 2.2 m

Height 2.1 m

Crew 3

Primary

armament 30 mm L21 RARDEN cannon

Secondary

armament Coaxial 7.62 mm L37A1 MG

Engine Cummins BTA 5.9 diesel

190 hp (142 kW)

Suspension Torsion bar

Operational

range 450 km

Speed 80 km/h (50mph

Pizarro

Pizarro.jpg

Weight 28 tonnes (30.9 short tons)

Length 6.24 m (26 ft)

Width 3.64 m (12 ft)

Height 2.43 m (8 ft)

Crew 3 + 8 passengers

Primary

armament 30 mm Mauser MK 30-2

Secondary

armament MG3 7.62 mm (Pizarro)

MG74 7.62 mm (Ulan)

Engine Diesel

600 hp (Pizarro)

720 hp (Ulan)

Suspension torsion bar

Speed Road: 72 km

Love both these paint schemes, a possible similar armaments ,speed and looks, Pizarro has better armour though and is over three times as heavy but it could work, if you change the ammo type, just needs a bit of tweaking and imagination i guess, would love to do these skins.

Scimitar

fv107_scimitar.jpg

Weight 7.8 tonnes

Length 4.9 m

Width 2.2 m

Height 2.1 m

Crew 3

Primary

armament 30 mm L21 RARDEN cannon

Secondary

armament Coaxial 7.62 mm L37A1 MG

Engine Cummins BTA 5.9 diesel

190 hp (142 kW)

Suspension Torsion bar

Operational

range 450 km

Speed 80 km/h (50mph

Pizarro

Pizarro.jpg

Weight 28 tonnes (30.9 short tons)

Length 6.24 m (26 ft)

Width 3.64 m (12 ft)

Height 2.43 m (8 ft)

Crew 3 + 8 passengers

Primary

armament 30 mm Mauser MK 30-2

Secondary

armament MG3 7.62 mm (Pizarro)

MG74 7.62 mm (Ulan)

Engine Diesel

600 hp (Pizarro)

720 hp (Ulan)

Suspension torsion bar

Speed Road: 72 km

Love both these paint schemes, a possible similar armaments ,speed and looks, Pizarro has better armour though and is over three times as heavy but it could work, if you change the ammo type, just needs a bit of tweaking and imagination i guess, would love to do these skins.

Here is a starting point.

Thankyou Congo, guess i could use the original roof, or have you got that aswell please. Thanks for the help.

Sorry Mate,

I have not messed with that one yet. But if you open the original and play with the hue,saturation and such you will be able to match it up. If I get a chance I will mess with it some. Here you go WD you may have to tweak it a tad more but its a start. Please post screens as it progresses. The hull dds needs some work also, things like the gun barrel,road wheels and such, I did not get the chance to do this after I altered the original. You could probably layer it with the Pizarro in my Spainiac pack and capture the original textures for these components. Thats true for the lower hull also, I did not model shocks or swingarms on the desert version.

Thanks Congo

Congo

THX again for all your input, gentlemen,

and especially you Congo, for all your work on the Pizarro and many, many others skins !

Question: would a mid/beginning-80's Scimitar have Thermal view

(as they seem to have now) ?

I guess, not, as e.g. the Belgian Leo 1A's only by 1988 were equipped with TIS.

Rgds - Koen