T-95 Main Battle Tanks & Tank Support Vehicles to Augment Russian Armor Units

rump

From Defense-update.com:

In 2009 the Russian Army is scheduled to receive a new main battle tank, claimed to be superior to existing designs. The new tank will introduce a new hull, power plant and drive train. It will also have improved firepower, comprising of new armament, target acquisition, fire control and surveillance systems. The Russian Army is also planning to field the long awaited Tank Support Vehicle, scheduled to enter production at Uralvagonzavod next year. The first armor units are expecting the new BMPTs by 2010.

More here: http://www.defense-update.com/newscast/1207/news/301207_bmpt_t95.htm

Cheers,

-Rump

The Russians have been turning out some remarkable designs lately and if and when their new MBT finally comes out, depending upon the calibre of its main gun, we may be faced with the beginning of a new main gun race.

The BMP-T is quite a beast to look at, and it's just one of many strange new creations in Russia and Ukraine - the BMPT-84 IFV:

http://www.morozov.com.ua/eng/body/btmp.php?menu=m1.php

I think western designers have seen this one coming for quite some time; even the 'old' Leo 2A5DK has been upgraded so that it can be upgunned at a future point. I don't really know what the Russians want with their new fancy toys though.

are they still messing around in chechnya?

i think they might be concerned about their borders with china. or north korea.

it might also simply be a matter of national pride.

traditionally, russia has created some of the best tank designs of its time, and recent western designs such as the leopard 2 and abrams has severely damaged that image.

and its not a "merkava ripoff", since the engine is in the back.

It's true that it is, or looks like, a MBT with the capability to carry infantry. So comparisons to the merkava have plenty of merit IMO. With the little information we have, its hard to cast judgment on it.

But seeing how having the engine mounted in the front on the merkava is looked upon as a positive, having it in the rear would be a negative when comparing the two IMO. Unless is has some new "completely superior to all" frontal armor. This might clash with their long history of overstating capability's.

Also remember, Arms exporting is big business in Russia. And I wouldn't be surprised to see these sold to China, Turkey, or anyone else they want to sell them too. Its true that Russia is undergoing a modernization of their armed forces, but I don't see them being able to buy expensive, modern designs is large numbers. For example, Mig, and Sukhoi's latest and greatest designs are for export only, though that might have changed recently.

I'm with Rogue on this one: cash is probably the motivator. The Russian Army has not purchased as many of these new "wonder weapons" as they've exported. (See India, et al). They've needed cash for quite some time since the fall of the communists. And it's also the best way to line the pockets of the oligarchy...

Here's another interesting one. The BTR-3U -- being produced in Russian, the Ukraine, and who woulda thought, the UAE...

http://www.morozov.com.ua/eng/body/btr3u.php

Here's a version serving with the UAE Marines:

http://www.morozov.com.ua/images/guardian-3l.jpg

Here's another interesting one. The BTR-3U -- being produced in Russian, the Ukraine, and who woulda thought, the UAE...

Well, it seems that Saudi Arabia is interested in the T-95. Don't they have a license to build M1a1's?

Regards,

-Rump

Here's a version serving with the UAE Marines:

http://www.morozov.com.ua/images/guardian-3l.jpg

That thing looks like it's mounting a phased-plasma rifle in at least a 40-watt range...

Yeah, the Russian Army has hardly been the major beneficiary of all the new AFVs that have been developed over the last 15 years or so. But they do have plans to replace 45% of their weapons over the next 7 or so years, apparently:

Plans include rearming approximately 200 formations and units from the general-purpose forces, including 45 tank battalions, with half receiving new types of tanks; more than 170 other battalions will be modernized with new IFVs and APCs; five air defense brigades will get the Iskander-M system; others will receive the S-400 system and the Pantsir-S missile/gun system.

Source: Eurasia Daily Monitor - The Jamestown Foundation

Russia recommenced TU-95 Bear flights over the North Alantic recently. It may be sabre rattling by Putin, but the rise in the price of oil has helped fill the Russian Government's coffers to no end. It is probably time that we stopped looking at russia as a totally crippled ex-soviet state, as they appear to be on the rise.

..Always are when a dictator comes to power..

i repeat, morozov is an independent ukrainian, NOT russian, theres no russian connections with russia and morozov whatsoever anymore.

they make SOVIET-style vehicles, but thats because they used to be the chief SOVIET machine building bureau, when ukraine was part of the soviet union.

now as russia lost the morozov plant when ukraine split from soviet, their chief plant is uralvagonzavod.

and ukraine is NOT creating the T-95 tank.

thats a russian design, along with the black eagle.

the BMPT-84 is a ukrainian vehicle, and the russians has no say in the development or export of this vehicle.

the ukrainians major export vehicles, is the yatagan, and oplot, and their main battle tank is the T-84.

By the looks of it it's quite impressive...

I've been watching Star Trek the next generation lately, season after seasons...shield up, phaser lock, photon torpedoes fire....

back to the lumbering steel beasts......eeeewww when can we drop our jaw in awe to a REEL starship......we need to migrate to other class M planet soon:biggrin:. The earth is dying:frown:...the threat of global starvation....I need to find some hot girl to forget all this...fresh from the oven:1:

I think the former Soviet block countries are most concerned about export to there former customers. I am positive anyone with a T-72 based army will be looking to upgrade to something that can be a cheaper alternative to a western MBT. I have to think now that these developing counties will want an amour force, and I am sure that Russia/ Ukraine realize this. It only makes sense. They also have to distance them selfs from the cheap copies coming out of China.

With the new approach of building up to date armor instead of continually upgrading the T72/T80/T90 series result in a more toe to toe approach to NATO,s forces.Or is it the old ways of use the new stuff for core battalions and use the older (cheaper) stuff as cannon fodder to overwhelm the opposition.

T-84 from ukraine:

T-84_UKRAINE_17.jpg

T80U_8.jpg

the major difference is the exhaust, because the T-84 uses a

6TD-1 1200hp diesel engine of a similar design to the T-64,

while the T-80U uses a a GTD-1250 1250hp turbine engine.

the T-80UD was also created by the morozov plant during the soviet era, which was basically the T-80U with a 6TD diesel engine, but after the breakup of the soviet union, russia decided

to scrap the T-80UDs, as they were no longer able to manufacture spare parts for it.

also, the T-84 has a welded turret, compared to the T-80s cast turret.

here's probably the most accurate representation of what a T-95 might look like.

134237.gif

I would imagine that some minimal quantity of well-sloped armor, plus maybe ERA tiles will shroud the gun assembly. Nothing fancy; but some protection from the elements is called for, and if you're going to do that, you might as well give it some resistance against ATGM/HEAT/KE.

Shot