Latest Nvidia Beta 186.08 Corrects Smoke

Wardog

Just downloaded Beta 186.08 and it has corrected my problem with slowdown when smoke is present, saw this mentioned a few days back, well with this beta im fine now and no degraded fps, anyone else with a nvidia card may want to try it out.

• Members

A few fellow Germans have tested a number of drivers lately. Apparently on some tests the (seemingly) same driver didn't perform well, and on a second test it did. It may be that somehow fragments of an old driver version remain. I don't know how you could check whether this really is the case on your computer, but it may still be worthwhile to double-check.

176.xx is reported to perform best, 185.8x is reported to be the first to perform adequately again.

All that I can say at this point is that all indicators suggest that it really is an NVidia driver issue, and that we seem to have nailed down the bad drivers to the region 179.x ... 183.x

Other culprits are an excessive draw distance with very high terrain clutter objects, trees or buildings, especially where buildings intersect.

Some of the more attractive maps have a great number of interlocked buildings, and many ground clutter objects, and these are known to hurt performance.

Just wanna let you guys know that this also fixed the big performance problems for me. Now, even with massive arty and other smoke on the same map my fps dont drop below 28 to 30 anymore. Before in the same situation i got 12-15. A very noticable change..

For the record: Deinstall the old drivers first before installing the new one. I had to deintall my old drivers from the registry (using cccleaner) to get this work. First time i didnt cleaned the registry and got no changes.

A yeah.. XP 32 btw.

cheers!

• Members
For the record: Deinstall the old drivers first before installing the new one. I had to deintall my old drivers from the registry (using cccleaner) to get this work. First time i didnt cleaned the registry and got no changes.

Can you please report your experiences also over at SteelBeasts.eu, there are a couple of people who would probably welcome these hints, ideally a bit more elaborate in description.

I use XP now, had Vista and have tried Windows 7 also, went back to Xp, personally i prefer Xp, Vista will improve with time and sure someday it will be the bees knees, give me Xp anytime. Just because all the problems with XP are now ironed out, takes time.