Arma2

andym

Or rather a whole new release / version. I haven't tried it, but from what I read about on the net the general feedback is that mere patching won't help here because its so buggy or rather half-"baked" if you know what I mean.

I remember the original, hell was it that long ago, Flashpoint 2 looks pretty good, may look into it a bit more, loved the original, things have moved on a lot now and with the advance in technology etc these type of games just get better, well everything does i guess, may think about this one a bit more.

Dont get fooled, Flashpoint 2 has nothing to do with Operation Flashpoint except the name, different developer, flashpoint 2 is looking to be more like the battlefield series then anything else.

About ARMA2 if you liked ARMA you'll probably want to get number 2 also, it's not as bad as some people are trying to make it look, much nicer the ARMA 1 imo, i have tried the german version and it seems really nice, it has bugs but nothing compared to how ARMA 1 was after it's initial release, virtually unplayable for the first 3 months.

There are some anoying things about ARMA 2, like the overdone postprocessing effects like bloom and motionblur that cant be completely turned off (allthough it seems that's gonna change in an upcomming patch)

The lack of antialiasing is what bugs me the most about ARMA 2, has something to do with how the graphics engine is coded, pretty stupid imo to make a modern game without AA, but bohemia has said they are going to include AA in a future patch.

Imo most people bashing ARMA2 are the guys with 5 year old rigs that are disgruntled with the fact they cant play the game on the highest graphical settings so they sit on forums instead and cry about every detail that is not to their liking.

Some nice movies

The coolest thing about the movies above is that they are completely dynamic and unscripted, the AI just do their thing, really awesome stuff.

There has also been some screaming about Cheating AI which is also not true, nice movies about it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6mI410K_ZU

• Moderators

Driving around on a battlefield at night with headlights and tail lights on on the tanks? :frown: Do they turn them off or is that how it always is? I wouldn't even dream of turning on such things even in tactical night ops training.

The explosions and tracers look cool, but it just seems like a lot of running around (on your own) and looking around. I guess that is just the scenario they set up though...

...Imo most people bashing ARMA2 are guys with 5 year old rigs that are disgruntled with the fact they cant play the game on the highest graphical settings so they sit on forums instead and cry about every detail that is not to their liking...

hey! that sounds familiar. ;)

Driving around on a battlefield at night with headlights and tail lights on on the tanks? :frown: Do they turn them off or is that how it always is? I wouldn't even dream of turning on such things even in tactical night ops training.

The explosions and tracers look cool, but it just seems like a lot of running around (on your own) and looking around. I guess that is just the scenario they set up though...

Yeah, it is just a demonstration of the "dynamic" AI, the guy placed 1500 untis in the editor and let them bash it out, no scripting involved or anything else, very nice. You cant compare it to SB of course especially the vehicle part but the infantry fighting has always been very good on the OFP/ARMA series, probably the best of any commercial releases

• Moderators

The voices starting at mid video are... well, listen for yourself lol.

...I guess I might get it (if nothing else but to give my uber PC something for a workout, to justify the cost of it) but I am certainly not that excited. It just seems like a bunch of ants running in all directions, no tactical movement whatsoever. Maybe the experience as a light infantry squad leader might have ruined it for me... :(

But maybe if some scenarios could be made of an infantry squad, with each person in game playing as a squad member and moving tactically to secure an objective (two teams of four), then it might turn out to be fun. But what eight people would be willing to give it a try and pass up the urge to run around like chicken-with-head-cut-off equipped with sniper rifle on a mad rush to get the most kills?

The voices starting at mid video are... well, listen for yourself lol.

...I guess I might get it (if nothing else but to give my uber PC something for a workout, to justify the cost of it) but I am certainly not that excited. It just seems like a bunch of ants running in all directions, no tactical movement whatsoever. Maybe the experience as a light infantry squad leader might have ruined it for me... :(

But maybe if some scenarios could be made of an infantry squad, with each person in game playing as a squad member and moving tactically to secure an objective (two teams of four), then it might turn out to be fun. But what eight people would be willing to give it a try and pass up the urge to run around like chicken-with-head-cut-off equipped with sniper rifle on a mad rush to get the most kills?

Not much different from your average SB HtH game either, a bunch of large ants running off in different directions trying to score the most kills, no difference there, it's still up to the player(s) to decide how they want to play a certain game, doesnt matter how much realism you throw into it :-)

The best part of ARMA has always been the mission editor, which lets you do... well... pretty much anything.

Me and Wahrborg used to play a really nice 2 player co-op mission in ARMA, spotter/sniper night mission that requires you to penetrate hostile territory, find a suitable sniperspot and take out an enemy officer then get to an extraction point a couple of miles south. Mission could take 2 hours and you would sometimes just fire one shot through the entire mission, the rest of it was trying to navigate sucesfully through the terrain using map and compass and avoiding enemy patrols.

LOL...if only people would try tactics and teamwork. :debile2: Count me in V.:)

Count me in, if I could ever get an Uber PC to run it though.

Will a 7 year old Dell run Arma 2?

Me and Wahrborg used to play a really nice 2 player co-op mission in ARMA, spotter/sniper night mission that requires you to penetrate hostile territory, find a suitable sniperspot and take out an enemy officer then get to an extraction point a couple of miles south. Mission could take 2 hours and you would sometimes just fire one shot through the entire mission, the rest of it was trying to navigate sucesfully through the terrain using map and compass and avoiding enemy patrols.

A true one shot one kill exercise.

Was this one randomised, sounds awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering buying it but after a poor performance with ARMA I due the dual core issues I have some doubts.

What is your system and how does it run?

I have a dual core Intel 2.2Mhz, 3 Giga Ram and an NVIDIA 8600M GS with 512 MG dedicated.

I would like to know if you think this game would run smooth on my rig?

Of course not at full graphics but decent enough to warrant spending the money on it.

Any imput is welcomed :)

Well it depends Furia, i had problems running ARMA I in the beginning, but after a couple of patches it was running flawlesly I was then on a AMD Athlon X2 3.0GHZ dual core, 4 gigs ram, 8800 GTX 768MB RAM, Vista 64

I'm now on a AMD Phenom X4 II 3.2 GHZ quad core, 4 Gigs of ram, same gfx card and OS, both ARMA I and ARMA II runs fine, So far i think the initial release of ARMA II is much better then ARMA I was. you should be able to run ARMA II, allthough i can imagine your FPS taking a hit on larger scale missions. Bohemia have always been very good at supporting their games with a lot of patches with both new content and a lot of performance improvements.

Some nice movies

The coolest thing about the movies above is that they are completely dynamic and unscripted, the AI just do their thing, really awesome stuff.

Very, very impressive indeed.

Some questions pls:

-> Is the mission editor a good one ?

-> And can you direct AI-troops to do certain stuff e.g. with triggers, as in SB ?

-> Could you play this sim on a battalion-level (or higher ??), or more company/platoonlevel as SB ?

-> In fact is it a "sim" or more a FPS-game ?

THX for any feedback,

Koen

Hi,

- The mission editor is a very good one, ranking just next to the one in SB Pro PE in my opinion as it is both powerful and userfriendly too. There are a number of good editing guides for OFP and Armed Assault 1, much of which is still appplicable to Arma2, and a number of sites with editing information and fora. With some practice it is possible to churn out decent missions.

- AI troops can be manipulated using waypoints, triggers and scripts. Behaviour of the AI that can be observed in game ranges from the asinine to the amazing, but on average they can certainly do a decent job.

- It is possible to play it at battalion level, but platoon or company level missions are much easier to set up. Also the number of units on a battalion size mission can bring systems to their knees quite rapidly.

- It is a squad shooter with sim characterics. There is a dedicated simulation version (VBS/VBS2) though. Arma2 concentrates on infantry fighting, with the vehicles not matching up to true sim level.

There is a demo available for download:

http://www.arma2.com/arma-2-demo_en.html

It is a light version with just part of the available units and limited terrain, but it gives an idea whether or not it will run on your machine and includes the mission editor to play around with.

Regards,

Sander

I bought the game and isntalled it.

Initially completely unplayable with FPS around 5 to 10.

After one day searching forums for tips and help, reinstally drivers, installing additional graphic enhancement tools and tying different set ups I managed to get a 15 to 25 fps but not on large cities or large multiplayer combats.

So far it is still not ready for large MP on my system.

This prompted me to order a new PC, since mine was due an overhaul since long ago, so I hope to be able to enjoy this sim plus some other news like Pt Boats Knits of the sea and Rise of Flight nicely.

Arma 2 is a sim that will stay long. Like his Grandfather, OFP, it begun full of bugs and graphic issues, but after some months they made OFP an extremely great game that has been played for years.

The thing I fins most interesting in ARMA 2 is the Strategic Campaing, where 2 sides not only fight on air, land and sea compabt operations but where you have a high command that actually takes care of logistics, economy and strategy.

Like the traditional wargames but now on 3D. Really interesting!

Also has the possibility of Join in progress so in theory you can keep a battle running for days while people log in and log out.

However and after years being a dedicated player of OFP, I was shocked of the Tank controls and options simplicity after being an addicted fan of SB.

LOL I am not sure if I would ever touch a Tank in Arma2.

I know they are different sim/games but after SB, controlling a tank in ARMA2 seems to me like extreme Arcade. LOL

Anyway I think this is a highly recomended game, specially after all the bugs are sorted out.

If you are not in a hurry to get it, wait some months and you will surely have a great experience with it after allthe issues have been polished out.