.hgt-editor?

Steel_Hamster

I thought I should try to create my first mission. I´d like to do it from scratch to learn as much as possible. So I thought about creating my own height map just to learn. Does anyone have tips about editors that convert images to .hgt-files?

Edit: I´ll try to do something with BZHGT. Any suggestions are still welcome!

Okay. So BZGHT made a .hgt-file from the .bmp image. But it won´t work in the map editor.

I´ve two new questions.

I was able to open the .hgt file but was unable to view it. Is BZGHT the right editor to use and do I need a terrain map to use the height map?

What´s the size of the maps (.hgt and .ter) used in SB?

I've never found an editor for terrain or height maps beyond SB itself. I think some people have access to map importers, but I think that access is limited. There was in the original SB a program that would populate a height map with environmental features based on parameters that you gave it, but it was hard to tame and would kill your processor.

I think the map is the most important part of building a scenario, but if you make a terrain map yourself it takes a loooonnngg time to make it halfway realistic. I recommend picking an existing map - find one that has features like you had in mind and go for it. My favorite is to take adur or hannover maps and change the themes or minor things to get the look right, and the maps are so big that you're sure to find the features laid out the way you want at some point.

But maybe you have time. I take the efficient way these days, since I have a seven month old crawling around my ankles right now.

The SB Pro version has the ability to import DTED info and convert it into a heigh map, but there isn't a way to make a height map yourself. The height map is the easy part. It accounts for maybe 5% of the work. As Lt George said, you then have to put the terrain ontop of the height map which is a PITA, and very time consuming.