My wishes for the to-do list.

Steel_Hamster

Can we expect a playable Leopard 2A6 in next releases?

This probably depends on whether eSim has got orders for this tank to be in SB Pro from it's military customers. Classified info perhaps but nevertheless I am fallen in love with all Leo tanks and looking forward to any progress in this area :)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can we expect a playable Leopard 2A6 in next releases?

Well the Leopard 2E is basically a Leopard 2A6 with some improvements, with the Leopard 2E you are basically driving a 2A6.

There are several versions of the 2A6, so maybe you may want to state wich one you meant.

Regarding the wish list, I know this would not be implemented in the near future and maybe never but I have to say that if this simulator would incorporate the possibility of joining while in game, that is players could join a game when it is already running, it would be a MASSIVE improvement for the multiplayers possibilities.

Long persistant battles, people joining a game even after droping because connection troubles, or arriving late, battles that could last hours or even days.......

A feature that would open a universe of possibilities for Multi Player.

Probably the actual structure of the sim at this stage does not permit that but I just wanted to add my "wish" :men_ani:

There are several versions of the 2A6, so maybe you may want to state wich one you meant.

I mean the version being used by German Bundeswehr. It would be great to have Leo 2A6 as a playable alternative for current 2A4 tanks representing Bundeswehr units.

I fully understand your request. After all, this "internal" retrieving of stuck unit is much faster than waiting for the lone M88, which would be reason alone to justify the development. It's just that in the classroom version, the instructor can quickly drag a stuck vehicle to a new location to resolve such a problem, so it is much less of a problem there than in the PE.

Ssnake,

Thanks for this info: much apprecated!

Cheers!

• Members
can the MG on the huey be manned yet?

Unfortunately not. It would require development time which we cannot afford at the moment.

Why?

Things will be much clearer after the release of the next update, and especially next year. We're currently laying the groundwork for big changes in several areas.

• Members

Well, I can't rule out that a screenshot from an experimental version made it into the open. It often appears as a simple and starightforward option to simply enable an MG position in a helicopter door, until you realize that things aren't quite as simple, and then you realize that there isn't enough time in the current work plan to get it done right.

This is similar with many other requests. They often look easy, and a primitive implementation often indeed is, but there's still the problem that these primitive implementations, while delivering a basic functionality, just aren't release-worthy.

In the case of the door gunners, the MG sight looks really bad - it's a very low poly MG, so the artwork needs to be swapped. Swapping the artwork is possible, but takes some time. Even then, the helicopter movement is too jerky whenever there is even a small course correction - unless there is a human pilot (so you'd need to implement the pilot seat as well, and while we're at it, the co-pilot or weapon systems officer too). So you have that and realize that helicopters are pretty vulnerable in the vehicle-centric virtual world of SB Pro.

In conclusion, we'd need to refine the flight model for the helicopter for more gradual changes of pitch and roll movement - which is way beyond the original scope of helicopters as simple aerial targets for gunnery training - and probably also make a substantial change in the damage model to accommodate unarmored targets with a high degree of redundancy.

I'm not saying that we'll never do it.

It's just an illustration of feature creep. The original request was to have dumb helicopter targets for gunnery training. We felt compelled, SB Pro also being a constructive simulation at tactical level, to let the helicopters fire on ground targets as well. That required more fine tuning with respect to the damage model - e.g. the once near-indestructible Griffon was an example of these attempts to find a better balance. Then everybody starts to think about Full Metal Jacket and develops a focus on door gunners and punk rock, and if you don't pay attention you get sidetracked with a mere gimmick while you could work on a re-introduction of the Save Plan feature or other things that would have a tangible benefit for pretty much every user.

I'm all for crazy gimmicks, but only if they don't divert the precious bottleneck resource "programming time". Setting priorities means to NOT do 99% of all the ideas on your desk. It's sometimes heart-breaking because there so much cool stuff that one could do, but then you lose focus and the result will often be a hodge-podge of half-done gimmicks which in total do not necessarily make a better game.

Then everybody starts to think about Full Metal Jacket and develops a focus on door gunners and punk rock, and if you don't pay attention you get sidetracked with a mere gimmick while you could work on a re-introduction of the Save Plan feature or other things that would have a tangible benefit for pretty much every user.

Were this to happen (door gunners vs. save plan), I would die a little inside. I would throw Joker out of the damn chopper door myself to save plans again. :D

Speaking of the "August Update", Ssnake, is it going to be payware or freeware?

Reason I ask is I just got the latest version mailed to my house and would hate to think this new CD will be nothing more than a coaster in 60days... as I had no idea at the time that a "newer" version was on the way. :(

• Members
Any idea of when will we get a definitive list of whats coming in the next update? I have my fingers crossed for the damn crewable T72

Sorry, T-72 won't make it into this upgrade. The plan is to reveal the new features beginning six weeks prior to the scheduled release date. That would make it July 10th.

Sorry, T-72 won't make it into this upgrade. The plan is to reveal the new features beginning six weeks prior to the scheduled release date. That would make it July 10th.

**Rubs hands with glee, with knowing grin on face**

Soon my friends, soon.

All shall be revealed.

*Evil laughter followed by sustained coughing fit*

:biggrin:

• Members

I think we won't be able to take preorders at all, or maybe only one or two weeks before the planned release date. There's some work we must do for the web shop before we can accept preorders ... on the upside, we can then offer a pure download option which should make things more convenient for most.

Fair enough.

So it appears that rather than ordering it and and then camping beside the letterbox waiting for the CD (and hoping it doesn't get broken), I'll just have to order it later and then get it straight away.

Of course I'll hope that I can access the pre order site the "week or two" before and get the best of both worlds. :D

The download option should save you a packet in overseas postage anyway. :)

I think Ssnake is just messing with you Stratos.Im thinking there just might be a crewable T-72.Its a classic dissinformation tactic used by the powerful Esim D.I.G.(DisInformation Group).Just think of how happy youd be after all these years of no,then POW!,theres a Crewable T-72 in the sim.They fix you in posistion with years of no,no,no......then flank and destroy you with a playable T-72 in the new add-on.Keep the faith,and dont beleive the Lies.You will one day ride your T-72 onto the plains of Fulda.:biggrin: