Ssnake

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The new installer gives reason to a lot more hope. Initial tests so far have been positive. We need to work out minor kinks, and I need to update the release notes about a point or two, but, well, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Hopefully not a train.

The new installer gives reason to a lot more hope. Initial tests so far have been positive. We need to work out minor kinks, and I need to update the release notes about a point or two, but, well, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Hopefully not a train.

:biggrin:

Is the updated content this big - or this is just basically a fresh install of SB Pro PE? (I assume its basically a new installation as the pdf talks about having to leave away the end credit pics which dont really have to do much with the patch)

you just don't know the release date formula.

take any date Nils has announced. subtract the time of announcement from the release day,

then multiply this value by 3.

so lets say Nils announces that "in february 2010, we will have 3d soldiers", and he announces it today.

the formula would be (1st february 2010 - 1st of september 2009) * 3 = 6 months * 3 =

18 months.

Nils announced on wednesday 26th of august, that it would be released at the end of it or 30th of august.

which would be 4 days. 4*3 = 12 days.

so it should be ready around monday next week.

• Members

I expect the download to be ready today. We have tried to tinker a bit with the settings to give the new release notes a more prominent place, but that wasn't terribly successful, and we don't want to waste more time with this.

Having said that, the reason why I wanted the release notes to be displayed before installation is that the new installer has a few peculiarities. A typical install should go like this:

1. Start the download.
  2. Wait for quite a while until you have downloaded the 700+ MByte
    (Sorry! Too many resource files had to be updated!)
  3. Run the executable. This will extract the actual installation files to a temporary folder on your harddisk (=1.4 GByte total HDD usage at this point), then start the actual installation process
  4. Does no longer apply.
    You may get prompted that the installer didn't find the latest CodeMeter version. You can safely ignore this (it seems to happen only under 64 bit Windows versions) since, as you have 2.460 installed already, you also must have the needed CodeMeter runtime.
    (Should you find out at a later point that you don't have it due to a bizarre string of events, you can still download it from here)
  5. The installer will now search your local harddisk(s) to find the old 2.460 installation.
  6. You may need to wait for up to 10 minutes, depending on how fast your harddisk is
  7. Once that the installer has found SB Pro PE 2.460 you will get prompted into which directory you want the new version installed.
    You may pick the same location as 2.460 used, of course
  8. Now the actual installation starts, at the end of which 2.5 GByte of harddisk space are in use. Once that the installation is complete the installer will remove the installation files from that temporary harddisk, and of course you may delete the downloaded .exe file as well, therefore freeing up 1.4 GByte on your harddisk. But, at least 1.8 GByte are needed if you put the .exe file on an external medium first.
    I don't think that anyone will have a problem because of it. But it is only fair to say that this installation needs more free harddisk space than previous versions, albeit only during the installation process itself.
  9. Phew.
    Done. :)

Edited by Ssnake
Added URL for new release notes