Principles to build MP-scenario's

Koen

I have some idea's to make a scenario, maybe SP, probably MP.

Being new to MP, I wonder if are there maybe some princples I should take into account to build an MP-scenario ?

* Like: given limitations of bandwith, is there a max. number of units to be used ?

* Or certain map-types to be avoided: cities I guess ?

* How many ppl show up on an average MP-evening (with nothing planned beforehand) - in Europe ?

* More important: in MP what should the max. number of vehicles per player ?

* Also important: Are units that are spawned in-game or become playercontrolled (from computercontrolled) accessible to the players ? (although they were not allocated to anyone in the Assembly Area) ?

* Other stuff ?

THX,

Koen

Edited by Koen

A lot of dismounted infantry might cause issues. I believe that the line of sight calculations consider individual troops, and rifle squads have 6 men each. That causes a lot of data being passed back and forth when there is a heavy dismounted presence on the map.

Unless you're writing something specifically for TGIF, intend to keep the number of players to limit of 8.

Some basic rules of thumb:

The more infantry, the more trouble

The more buildings, the more trouble

The more helicopters, the more trouble

Some of it has to do with animation, and the fact that said animation has to be passed between eight or more computers (which might themselves have certain limitations).

Some of it has to do with host data-processing capacities (regarding LOS computations, animation, etc). And the fact that your mission might be talking to eight or more computers.

Some of it has to do with ping. The more-distant the player, the higher the ping.

Think of it as holding a conversation, between people of maybe-dissimilar languages, which has to be held to the speed of the slowest speaker.

Refer again to the rules of thumb.

Shot

Thank you, gentlemen.

What about this last one ?

* Also important: Are units that are spawned in-game or become playercontrolled in-game accessible then to the MP-players ?

(so although they were not allocated to anyone in the Assembly Area) ?

Rgds, K

Spawned troops will be owned by CO/A, or the highest ranked unit of each side. If that units is not under the ownership of a player you're out of luck.

-> Idem for computercontrolled units that become playercontrolled mid-game ?

(I'm actually not sure that this can be tested during an offline-session ?)